Profile for Redfern > Reviews

Redfern "Pixel.Gnome" (London)

Kill Phil: The Fast Track to Success in No-Limit Hold Em Poker Tournaments
Kill Phil: The Fast Track to Success in No-Limit Hold Em Poker Tournaments

1.0 out of 5 stars This book will turn you into a moron, 28 Sept. 2011
Absolutely terrible advice from start to finish. after reading this I became convinced that their real strategy is to get as many idiots playing like this in the tournaments the authors play in as possible. That way they get even richer.

I honestly think that this book is nothing but an attempt to get more people to play badly.

Do not buy it.

Equilibrium [Blu-ray]
Equilibrium [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

1.0 out of 5 stars Drivel, 27 July 2010
This review is from: Equilibrium [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
What a terrible film. Absolutely gobsmacked by the rating here on Amazon. Terrible performances all round. Terrible script. Awful Ation sequences, and the direction is very poor.

Systematic Chaos: Special Edition+DVD with DD 5.1mix
Systematic Chaos: Special Edition+DVD with DD 5.1mix

3.0 out of 5 stars Systematic Boredom, 5 Jun. 2007
Heard all this before from DT, and I expect more from them now than great arrangements, awesome riffs and shredding. I have come to expect inventive songwriting too, and this CD disappoints. the fantastic guitar solos, instrumental breaks and moody sections need a raison d'etre, but on this CD don't get them.

Still a superb album by most standards, but not DT's

Systematic Chaos
Systematic Chaos

3.0 out of 5 stars Systematic Boredom, 5 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Systematic Chaos (Audio CD)
Dream Theater, even at their worst are still superb, but this album is unbelievably weak. Probably no need to be worried - I'm sure they still have some classics yet to do, but this is not one of them.

As with any D.T album, there are undeniable flashes of brilliance, and there are some interesting instrumental sections, some great arrangements, but the forte of DT is missing - i.e. the songwriting, which is usually what sets them SO high above any other purveyors of Prog Rock (after all there are quite a few exceptional musicians knocking around - not just those in DT).

First & Last: In the Presence of Enemies pt1 Is as usual a strong opener - with some great lyrics, and instrumental parts, and in fact with the last track on the album (In the Presence of Enemies pt2) may lead one to think this album is a stonker.

2:Forsaken - An ok song. but let's face it, we've all heard this before. nothing new.

3 'Constant Motion' - another good song, really heavy, with pretty good lyrics. one of the stronger track on the album.

4 'Dark Eternal Night' - Awesome sound, great riffs, super instrumentals, shame about the lyrics. Again however nothing new.

5 'Repentance' - Yawn. the 4th installment in MP's 12 step song. Is he running out of ideas for it, or is the lack of alcohol turning him into the lyrical equivalent of Will and Grace? It is just plain boring.

6 and 7 - Heard them both before, boring. Kind of like parts of SDOIT, and not really going anywhere

8 - Covered at the start - superb.

Let's face it. this CD is still ten times better than most rock out there. but for a DT release, it's quite boring, with each track containing 'some good bits'

sorry boys. Please spend more time in the writing stages - give yourselves a longer break after a tour, and don't let your side projects make you lose focus

Sure I'll be listening to it a lot anyway, and let's see if I change my mind about any of it.

Wedding Bible Planner
Wedding Bible Planner
by Sarah Haywood

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Wedding Accessory!, 5 Mar. 2007
This review is from: Wedding Bible Planner (Hardcover)
We bought the Wedding Bible Planner after owning the original Wedding Bible. It has new information in it, including something for the GROOM (hooray - someone at last remembers we are part of the day too!) and we cannot understand why no-one has brought such an organiser out before. It will also - as it says on the back - become a "cherished memento" and record of our wedding. As well as being very practical with loads of space and pockets for all the wedding gumph we seem to have acquired it is very stylish and contemporary with fantastic photos that have given us a few ideas! The author Sarah Haywood is a well known wedding planner who we have seen on TV (we are obsessed with anything weddings!) and she clearly knows what she is talking about as her advice is realistic even though we don't have loads of cash to blow on our day. She also seems to really care that readers get a good deal and a good day. We would strongly recommend this book as well as the original Wedding Bible - especially as Amazon are offering the two books together at such a discount. Thanks Amazon!

Octavarium [U.S. Version]
Octavarium [U.S. Version]

5.0 out of 5 stars Selective Track Choice, 15 Feb. 2007
... would make this album better.

It is quite a varied song list:

The Root of All Evil is a stonking track, 'nuff said!

Another Day is VERY tame. I quite like it, but it is relegated to an easy listening compilation - it is a little cheesy.

These Walls is just plain boring.

I Walk Beside You - commonly known as 'The best U2 track that U2 never wrote' is a great song - but again doesn't fit, although it just stays in my 'Octavarium Playlist'

Panic Attack is again a stonking track - absolute furious prog metal!

Never Enough has some good parts, but never rises to more than just 'interesting'

Which brings us to the last 2 tracks:

I have read a complaint regarding Sacrificed Sons that 'Political themes ruin songs'. This is entirely unjustified as there is very little that is political about it. It is much more a call to look at current events from an emotional perspective. As a prog rock track it is absolutely fantastic. Awesome structure, with a great 'variations on the theme' mid-section.

Octavaruim - I would disagree that this is you classic 'epic'. It has a large size (25 minutes long), but no greatness of scope that is to be found in Metropolis or Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. It DOES have a mind bending intro, and the mid-section is also top-notch. Like SDOIT the ending is very powerful too. Maybe my definition of 'epic' has been distorted by the size and scope of their previous epics, but for me it is just a 'quite long track'!

In Summary, I would say that this IS a fantastic Album - but with a couple of duff tracks, and a very mixed classification.

WELL WORTH buying though :)