Profile for S. J. Bradley > Reviews

Content by S. J. Bradley

S. J. Bradley "SJB" (Cambridge)

Page: 1 | 2
The North Face Base Camp Duffel Travelbag - Red/Black, Medium
The North Face Base Camp Duffel Travelbag - Red/Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - sturdy, lightweight, great looking., 1 May 2013
I thought it might be too small for 11 days overland round Mexico and Guatemala and I thought I wouldn't use the shoulder straps since it's a duffel. I was wrong on both counts. It was perfect: sturdy, light, easy to spot on top of a bus, distinctive, hard-wearing.. And looked the part. My only slight hesitation is that in the internal compartment it's easy to jam the zip as there's a cord and the external zip is stiff. Both minor quibbles though.

Singles Collection: Volume 1
Singles Collection: Volume 1
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars One for the obsessive fans only, 5 Jan 2009
I almost considered buying this the other day for the rare B-side only tracks on a couple of the early singles and then realized I was going mad. Basically you are buying a big box of packaging with (admittedly lovely) artwork and a load of CDs you will never play again. More or less everything is on the albums anyway and when you buy an album the disc has -- guess what? -- an album's worth of material. This box set is for stamp collectors, not fans of great music.

Michael Tolliver Lives
Michael Tolliver Lives
by Armistead Maupin

2.0 out of 5 stars If it leads you to read the original 'Tales' then great, otherwise not worth breaking into a sweat over., 7 Aug 2007
This review is from: Michael Tolliver Lives (Hardcover)
I so wanted to like this book. I took it away with me on holiday so I had the perfect space to enjoy it, but I only vaguely enjoyed it compared with the pacy, witty, interwoven plotlines in the original 'Tales'. It's just not as deep and strangely not as shallow either - does that make sense? - 'Tales of the City' worked because the funny frothy energy drove the stories along, while still dealing with issues of alienation, abuse, drugs, sexuality, loneliness, illness, death, hope, love ... all the things that impact on our lives. It's a joy to know Michael Tolliver lives, but there just isn't really enough complexity to keep the story moving. And the big secret (very Maupin) wasn't that big! Yet still I found it enjoyable and at times moving. Maybe it's a sign of how far the world has moved on that this felt like familiar territory rather than the enchanting otherness of Barbary Lane, Quaaludes and all.

Turn Me On, I'm A Rocket Man
Turn Me On, I'm A Rocket Man
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars 24 Years of Hunger revisited, 31 July 2007
So, you've probably come to Eg after listening to "24 Years of Hunger" the only album Eg did with Alice Temple as "Eg and Alice". This doesn't quite reach the beautiful heights of that album which I think is a deserved classic, but it has some wonderful moments. By the way, if you're wondering what happened to Eg White, well he writes songs still including the massively successful 'Leave Right Now' performed by Will Young. That's the more populist end of his oeuvre (or should it be oeufre, Mr Eg?!) and his other stuff is more soulful and wistful. All good.

5.0 out of 5 stars At first I was afraid, I was petrified ..., 31 July 2007
This review is from: Bare (Audio CD)
Annie's scary, powdered face looking out at me, the angst of the songs clearly evident in the titles alone ... but wait, this is wonderful, moving, beautiful music which speaks to me deeply on every listen. Forget 'Medusa' which was fairly thin gruel, this is the real deal - profound, energised, intelligent, synth-based music. Buy it (especially with the DVD thrown in). It's a thousand beautiful things.

Offered by Renegade Sports Group Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars At first I was afraid, I was petrified ..., 31 July 2007
This review is from: Bare (Audio CD)

Family Tree
Family Tree
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars One for the fans, 11 July 2007
This review is from: Family Tree (Audio CD)
Firstly I should say I'm a tremendous fan of Nick's 3 Island albums (and 'Time of No Reply') and part of me thinks it's a real privilege to hear these early recordings and the oft-mentioned Aix tapes. The CD liner notes are well written and the piece from Gabrielle is charming and quite moving. Ah, but the songs ... well, they're necessarily poor quality -- there's much tape hiss etc, but some charming snippets of Nick's speech -- and some of them are hidden gems, but a great deal of them are curios rather than adding to the canon. It's an album that will grow on me, perhaps, but of course it lacks the coherence and polish of the published songs. The blues numbers are breathtaking and show off Nick's tremendous talent; Molly's 'Poor Mum' is charming; and there are a fair few other tracks that will stay with me ... but in these days of ipods, I suspect only a few will make it onto my Nick Drake playlist.

Peacetime
Peacetime

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice enough - but not her best., 8 Feb 2007
This review is from: Peacetime (Audio CD)
So, I'm a big Eddi fan and have got all her previous albums and love them. Oh, wait - apart from the Robbie Burns one. And here's the rub - some lovely new tracks and some interesting takes on very old songs, but they just don't do it for me. To those wanting to get into Eddi, I'd recommend 'Angels and Electricity' or 'Simple Soul' over this every time.

Bambuddha Grove - The Arrival
Bambuddha Grove - The Arrival
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 26 April 2005
This brought back memories of visiting Bambuddha Grove in Ibiza. A lovely late night mix including the inimitable 'Head' from Kirsty Mccoll's last and best album. Includes Bebel Gilberto and lots of other lovely summer-night sounds.

Back To Mine: Pet Shop Boys (Double CD)
Back To Mine: Pet Shop Boys (Double CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars See, boys strange, 26 April 2005
This is an awesome (if bizarre) addition to the Back to Mine series. Fair play to Neil and Chris for choosing stuff they like and think works, rather than restricting themselves to too tight a genre. Who would expect to hear Queen on the same set as Etienne Daho, or Justice v Simian, or Video Kid? And to throw in the wonderful piano piece from << Diva >> and some Dusty! Well, it's eclectic, it's odd, but it kind of works!

Page: 1 | 2