Profile for Philippe Defer > Reviews

Content by Philippe Defer

Philippe Defer "phildefer" (Belgique)

Under The Skin [Blu-ray] [2014]
Under The Skin [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, 16 Oct. 2014
Ok, but not extraordinaire.

Two Faces Of January [Blu-ray]
Two Faces Of January [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Viggo Mortensen

5.0 out of 5 stars I recommend..., 16 Oct. 2014
Really loved this film. Great actors, great atmosphere. I'm letting it sink a bit for a few days and i'll gland l'y watched It again. Extras: usual interviews, but interesting. I recommend the film.

Tommy Cooper - The Very Best Of - Comedy Legend [DVD]
Tommy Cooper - The Very Best Of - Comedy Legend [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tommy Cooper

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but too short, 16 Oct. 2014
Fun to watch, good general reminder of who TC was. I found the runtime a bit short though.

Anna Karenina (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Anna Karenina (Blu-ray + Digital Copy + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Keira Knightley

3.0 out of 5 stars yes but, 29 Mar. 2013
I won't comment on the film itself. I still haven't found the time to watch it.
HOWEVER: I'm fed up with all those legal restrictions that don't allow you to download if you are not in the proper country.
I live in Belgium (there is no "Amazon Belgium"), so I buy my CDs and DVDs from Amazon UK or France.
And in every case, I'm not allowed to use the UV copy, because I'm not in the UK nor in France.
I'd love to transfer the film on my iPad, but.... not allowed.
I think Amazon should mention this when selling the stuff.
and music/film companies should consider small countries in a global economy...

Clint Eastwood - 35 Films 35 Years [DVD] [1968]
Clint Eastwood - 35 Films 35 Years [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Clint Eastwood

4.0 out of 5 stars some masterpieces, 29 Mar. 2013
yes, well worth buying. when you go through the list of films in the box, wow, what a collection of masterpieces.
From "Where Eagles Dare" to "Bird", from "Unforgiven" to "Gran Torino".
"Dirty Harry" is there too.
However, what is missing badly is the spaghetti western period. No "Good, Bad & Ugly" and "Fistful of Dollars", etc. And "Million Dollar Baby" is also missing.
This is why I gave a 4 not a 5.
Still, the box gives you a whole bunch of (very good) films that would be pretty expensive to buy separately.
you can still buy the Million dollar baby apart....

Awayland
Awayland
Offered by thebookcommunity

3.0 out of 5 stars errr..., 29 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Awayland (Audio CD)
I was expecting a lot from this new Villagers CD. I had loved the previous one for it's intensity, the sound and the fresh songs.
This new delivery is for me a bit disappointing. Still good music all in all, but the songs are all a bit the same to my ears. Less variety and less appeal.
So a 3 star vote, but I'm not losing hope for the next cd....

Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc]
Girl Who Got Away [Bonus Disc]

3.0 out of 5 stars same ol' Dido, 29 Mar. 2013
Sure I could give 4 stars: the music is good, the songs are good, the singing is good.
Had it been her first cd, I would have applauded.
Trouble is, I have all Dido's cd's and I feel like I keep hearing the same lingering song all the time.
Dido's voice is a bit dull (and I love it), but the counter effect is that too much is too much.
And in this new CD, while all the material is great (really), I seem to have heard it all before.
I'd wish she'd explore, create, venture, rejuvenate,... Where is creativity ? Is that it ? once and for all ?
So, not 1 star because the Cd is good (and you may buy it : it's a good Dido product), but not 5 stars because she certainly is not renewing herself.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 1, 2013 9:42 AM BST

Live at The Royal Albert Hall
Live at The Royal Albert Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars A Discovery, 29 Mar. 2013
I wanted to buy Emeli Sandé's CD because I'd heard her on the radio and thought it was pretty good, and wanted to discover more. When I saw there was a brand new DVD... and I think it's great to discover music when you SEE them too.
And what a discovery: not only is Emeli a great great singer. she is also supported by great musicians and singers, and the show is really professional. And also some guest stars ! Since I saw the show, I also downloaded Labrinth's 2 hit songs. Great duet on stage !
you sense, of course, that she is still at the beginning of her career, and she shares that sensible emotion with the audience, but all this makes her so reachable and simple. I would definitely advise you to buy the dvd (ok, it's live and not studio versions) as there is much more to experience than on a CD.
5 stars is a lot (I like to keep it at 4...) but I haven't seen such a heartwarming music-dvd for some time.

Alison Krauss And Union Station: Live [DVD] [2002]
Alison Krauss And Union Station: Live [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Union Station

2.0 out of 5 stars An American Star...., 26 Nov. 2012
I wanted to learn more about Alison, having bought the cd with Robert Plant. And I wanted to get some country music from a recognised singer. And the music is good. I mean, it's country music, so it has all the classic country ingredients, with whining guitars and lyrics about smalltown loves... Also the band supporting Alison is good: you really feel that they have been working together for a long time and appreciate each other.
What puts me off, though, is that Alison personnifies the typical cliché of an American girl, as seen by many foreign visitors to the US : the looks, the hair cut, the unsexy clothes, the shallow things she is saying, the jokes that are not funny, the "too controlled to make waves" attitude, ... Sorry, but I could not connect to the personality.
Still, I admit that she does a rather good job at singing her kind of music. I'm happy I saw this cd, but maybe I should have borrowed instead of bought...
I have bought the new Supertramp and Sade DVD's at the same time... Oh boy, what a difference in personalities !
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2015 1:37 PM GMT

Sade: Bring Me Home - Live 2011 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Sade: Bring Me Home - Live 2011 [Blu-ray] [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sade

4.0 out of 5 stars Good show !, 26 Nov. 2012
Very interesting to see Sade on stage, as I had only seen her in photos. Nice personality...
Also quite a good show: a bit "mechanised" with unnatural dance movements and moves on stage, but all in all, the show never has a dull moment. I enjoyed every minute of it. Great rhythms, great voice... Actually, better than what I had expected. If you like that kind of music, don't hesitate. A nice present too :-)