Profile for e1berethvarda > Reviews

Pure Deception
Pure Deception
by David Michie

5.0 out of 5 stars A riveting read, 28 Aug 2004
This review is from: Pure Deception (Paperback)
I am quite a fan of conspiracy theories and thrillers, Dan Brown and Frederick Forsyth are among my favourites. But this book is an outsider that I throughly enjoyed. The review and description don't do it justice - it has all the assassins and spies and twisty plots that you can wish for, all set in the glamour of a rags to riches story of one of the main characters Mark who becomes a pop star. However, this story is extremely well written and truly keeps you on your toes until, literally, the very last page.
The characters are I think very well presented, and I enjoyed the idea that the characters are ordinary people who have to deal with situations as opposed to seasoned covert operatives etc. If you like Robert Ludlum, Forsyth, Dan Brown and such like, I think you should give this book a try - I challenge you not to be amazed by it!
As the critics might put it, a stonking good read.

Room on the Broom Big Book
Room on the Broom Big Book
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 13.59

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent story, 23 Aug 2004
This is definitely my favourite story for bedtime, let alone my son's! This is a great story with lots of action and easy repitition that children can understand. The illustrations are great, and really bring the action to life.
The story is basically about a witch who picks up a load of animals on her journey, a dog, a bird, a frog, and of course her trusty cat, then when she lands in trouble with a rather scary looking dragon the animals step in to save her - with some great lines. My son loves the bit where the animals come out of the bog looking like some 4 headed monster and shouts at the dragon, "Buzz off, thats my witch!" Brilliant stuff.
This book is similar to her other two (which we also have), the Gruffalo and The Smartest Giant in Town, but this is a slick and well written story that just flows off your tongue. A must for any toddler, and a must for any parent. Buy it now!

Classroom Assessment Techniques: A Handbook for College Teachers (Jossey-Bass Higher and Adult Education Series)
by Thomas A. Angelo

5.0 out of 5 stars This should be essential reading for any teacher in FE, 20 April 2004
I got this after reading some of the numerous teaching handbooks that are floating around, and am finding it invaluable. If you are a teacher who often wonders exactly how much your students have learnt at the end of the lesson, then I think this book needs to grace your bookshelf. It has lots of different ways to assess your students, 50 actually, but it also tells you how labour intensive it is for the teacher, and how labour intensive it is for the student, a plus for any overworked teacher. It is a little pricey, but you get plenty for your money. Not only that but you will know your students are walking out of your class having learnt something. This is my new Bible, get it now!