Profile for H. B. Brown > Reviews

Content by H. B. Brown

H. B. Brown "helbrown" (Northampton United Kingdom)

Look who it is!: My Story
Look who it is!: My Story
by Alan Carr

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't want it to end., 14 Sept. 2009
I read this in two days... well I was on a weekend away getting into trouble for not putting it down and laughing too much.... I was genuinely sorry when it ended.

I'm about 15 years older than Alan, but there was so much in the book that reminded me of my childhood, and as I now live in Northampton I could share in the comments about the Express Lifts tower and the Wellie Road.

At times touching and thought provoking, but basically quite hysterical, and as I said when I arrived at work this morning, quite simply the funniest book I have ever read.

It took me a while to get "in" to Alan. I sat in front of him at a Rufus Wainwright concert and he was so lovely to the public who were wishing him well, I decided to give him a try. He's priceless, and I hope he has a long and successful career.

Merrill Osmond: Back In Black [DVD]
Merrill Osmond: Back In Black [DVD]
Dvd ~ Merrill Osmond

4.0 out of 5 stars Back and Rocking, 16 Mar. 2004
I bought this video after seeing Merrill in concert in UK. It does seem to lack the atmosphere of the UK audience, but it was great to buy this as a memory of a truly magical night.
All the old Osmonds favourites are here, performed by their lead singer, who still has one of the best voices in pop music.
Welcome back Merrill - you have been away too long.

To Serve Them All My Days - Parts 1, 2 and 3 [1980] [DVD]
To Serve Them All My Days - Parts 1, 2 and 3 [1980] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Duttine

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth waiting for, 16 Mar. 2004
I am so excited that this is finally available on DVD after years of waiting.
This truly is one of the greatest TV dramas ever made. Not just a chronicle of life at the time, but of one man's emotional journey and of his development both as a man as a schoolmaster.
The writing, production and performances are superb. A tour de force from John Duttine who has never done anything better, excellent support from his fellow schoolmasters (particularly Alan MacNaughton) and the women in his life - and Frank Middlemass is just wonderful.
After years of searching the shelves in vain for this gem to appear, I am ready to wallow. Pure joy.