ARRAY(0xaa493ea0)

Profile for K. Galbraith > Reviews

Content by K. Galbraith

K. Galbraith (Worcestershire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar for GCSE - Digital Tester and Handbook
Spelling, Punctuation & Grammar for GCSE - Digital Tester and Handbook
by CGP Books
Price: 9.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 8 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The road to GCSE's is an arduous one in my experience. My 3rd and youngest child is currently in preparation, and it's that's time in their education where teachers are picking holes to bring them up to scratch, their weakness laid open bare and exposed. My daughters, for all her literary talent is spelling and grammar, which of course permeates into every subject not just English. So we were rather pleased to be able to give this a whirl to see if in any way helped.

And it does. It's very well presented and laid out, allowing the student to progress in which ever way suits them. They can dip in and out of each subject/topic & tailor the test lengths - and as far as we can tell, for the most part it all multiple choice, so for students like my daughter who are saturated with homework and writing, this is ideal as it's a lot more like playing a game than studying.

She is finding the pocket sized handbook particularly helpful within school.

Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Cleansing System - Cleanser & Device
Olay Regenerist 3 Point Super Cleansing System - Cleanser & Device
Price: 26.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Sceptic transformed!, 8 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've reviewed a few products in the this range, all of which have had a big thumbs up. So I was very interested to try this on the promise of 4 x times better cleaning, and thus better absorption of my age defying products, or words to that effect. Basically I read that, as this is going to help make you look better, younger...and with that, I'm in!

But I was sceptical. These brush type cleansing devices are nothing new. I've had one before that came with all sorts of brushes and massager's. Do I still have it? No. It's either in the bin, or at the back of a cupboard somewhere with all the other beautifying gadgets I've bought over the years (face sauna anyone!) and then not used past the novelty honeymoon...and that's because it wasn't very good, or it was a bit of a faff to use.

I have to say, my scepticism went out of the window after the first use.I won't bore you with how it works - it's not rocket science. But what I will say about it, is that it left my face feeling so beautifully clean and smooth. It was strange really, because when it was on my face, it didn't feel like it was doing much in the way of exfoliation; it feels very gentle, like it's not really doing anything at all other than work the foam in all over the face. But when you massage your usual face cream - wow!

Given that my skin is naturally acne prone, I have found since using this, my skin has been slightly better. Not a miracle, and I wouldn't want to give the impression that this will necessarily help other people with acne prone skin, and certainly this isn't how Olay are promoting it either. It's just something I've noticed.

Would I pay the RRP? Absolutely not. Would I pay the Amazon price - probably not. I think the price is excessive, for what it is. That said, if you're the sort of person who wouldn't think twice about paying this much for a beauty gadget then I really couldn't recommend it highly enough. I think you'll love it as much as I did.

Pieta [DVD]
Pieta [DVD]
Dvd ~ Young-Jik Jo
Price: 11.25

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting watch, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: Pieta [DVD] (DVD)
Pieta is the 18th film by Korean director Kim Ki-duk and tells the story of Kang Do, a savage debt collector for a racket that loans money to the struggling small businesses of the industrial wastelands of the Cheonggyecheon district of Seoul. This particular racket forces it's "clients" to sign accident insurance policies so when they can't meet the exorbitant repayments, Kang Do joylessly commits acts of violence (forcing people to injure themselves on lathes, throwing them off half built buildings) to maim or cripple the debtor and then collect the insurance pay out to clear the debt. On one fateful day, Kang Do is followed by a middle aged woman, Mi-Son who at first watches him from a distance but then later reveals herself to be the mother who abandoned him at birth and begs his forgiveness. Initially rejecting and subjecting her to a vile "sacrament" to prove her herself as his mother and to a horrible sexual assault asking her "I came out of here, can I go back in?" Mi-Son's forgiveness and perseverance however and the unconditional love she shows to the lonely Kang Do see him accept her and take her into his squalid life and home. According to Wikipedia "The Pietà is a subject in Christian art depicting the Virgin Mary cradling the dead body of Jesus, most often found in sculpture. As such, it is a particular form of the Lamentation of Christ..." So armed with this knowledge watching Pieta with its opening scene of a wheel chair bound man hanging himself, most film buffs will quickly realise where we are heading and as the DVD cover informs us this is a tale of love, honour, violence, revenge and death.

Pieta is a bleak film, and as such a hammering metaphor on the state of modern capitalism, where the vulnerable (the old, the destitute and struggling) are left to the traverse the shark infested waters of societies underbelly. The relationship dynamics between Kang Do and Mi-Sun could have been unbearable to watch and indeed some will find it so but Lee Jung-Jin as Kang Do brilliantly conveys the heartless blank eyed menace of the seemingly empty debt collector whose loneliness soon gives way to the fear that his new found Mum could be snatched away from him at any moment, as he has snatched away lives and lively-hoods before and the ethereally beautiful Jo Min-Su's awarding winning turn as Mi-Son is utterly compelling. Do we really believe her story and the sacrifices she makes to convince us and Kang Do that she really is his long lost Mum? And will Kang Do really be able to turn his back on his life of crime as easily as he would like?

Shot with little colour and swathed in shades of grey and rust save for the occasional smears or pools of blood Pieta isn't an easy watch, and there are no happy sunset Hollywood endings for any character here but if you like thought provoking and interesting movies or a are a fan of Asian cinema then I'd recommend it unless you're a horror fan looking for the visceral and gory thrills of films like Park Chan-wook's "Oldboy" then probably best to save yourself a bit of disappointment.

Wireless FM Transmitter Car Charger with Remote for Apple iPhone iPod, Rubber Coated Black.
Offered by Apollo_23
Price: 7.09

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 12 Dec 2013
This really doesn't appear to be too impressive. Having tried to tune it into several seemingly empty frequencies, it does play through them, but there is a lot of interference that make it quite hard to listen to and enjoy my music. I think some of the issue is in the fact that it doesn't fit perfectly into my iPhone. It goes in, but it's not a snug comfortable fit, as one gets with a charger for example. This means there is some play within the port, and when moved (which is too easy to do) it crackles, a lot.

It feels very cheap, to the point where I was surprised to find it worked at all. But then, given the price I expected that. A word of warning to Skoda Fabia drivers...due to the location of the 12V socket, you will need to purchase a smaller flat fit usb plug, as the one that comes with the FM transmitter is too large and makes safe use of the hand-brake impossible.

I will continue to play around with different frequencies, who knows, maybe that's the issue. But for now, to those considering buying one of these I would advise shopping around and spending a little more for something of better quality.

A Little Gay History: Desire and Diversity across the World
A Little Gay History: Desire and Diversity across the World
by R. B. Parkinson
Price: 7.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 5 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a lovely little book. 123 pages of captivating writing and well chosen illustrations, for such a small book it packs a lot in and I spent a very pleasant couple of evenings reading it cover to cover, it's fascinating. I agree with other reviewers reflecting on the small size of the collection from which the book is drawn, and certainly this is worth bearing in mind, however I thought the book was pulled together very sensitively, with an open mind, fully taking this factor into account, and I don't think the small study size in any way detracts from the tantalising window this books offers into same sex relationships through the ages - whatever their flavour. It also serves as a useful reminder that even today same-sex relationships are a rainbow of different expressions, they're not black and white - a fact that is often over looked.

Recommended reading.

Storage Bed Faux Leather 3ft Standard Single Ottoman Prado Chocolate
Storage Bed Faux Leather 3ft Standard Single Ottoman Prado Chocolate
Offered by comfy-living
Price: 91.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 12 Nov 2013
Bought two of these very recently. Delivery was extremely quick, within a couple of days which was fantastic, much quicker than I expected.

Two of us were on the job of putting the beds together and it is definitely a two person job. All the items were present and correct, and we even had a few spares which is always nice to see. Top marks for the 'push-in' slats! They were a VERY welcome time and wrist saver - not a screw in sight!

The instructions were clear, straight forward and we managed to put both beds together without a hitch. In fact so straight forward were the instructions that we barely had to look at them when putting the second bed together. The end result is a very stylish, sturdy bed with lots of hidden storage - exactly what I wanted. I really couldn't be more pleased

Homescapes - Ultrasoft Super Microfibre - 4.5 Tog - Single Size - The Best Synthetic Duvets designed for And Used By The Best 5 and 7 Star Hotels From Around The World - Anti Allergy - Anti Dustmite - Box Baffel Construction - Washable at Home
Offered by HOMESCAPES
Price: 24.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly snug!, 12 Nov 2013
I wanted a duvet with a filling that was as close to feather/down as possible. This seemed to tick all the boxes, though at 4.5 tog I was worried that it wouldn't be warm enough on it's own through till winter when I can use the heavier winter duvet I already own.

I'm very impressed with how warm and snug this is. Right through October there were still nights where I was having to hang arms and legs out the bed to cool down, and even now as we approach mid November I've got away with throwing just a light blanket on top, and there are still nights where I'm exposing limbs in order to cool down. It's quite odd, because to feel it you'd never believe it was capable of keeping in so much heat as it's very light and soft.

VEO - 5-in-1 Camera Connection Kit USB/SDHC/TF Card Reader for iPad Mini, iPad 4
Offered by icestation
Price: 4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not compatible with iOS7, 12 Nov 2013
This worked perfectly before the upgrade to iOS7. However since the upgrade it's no longer compatible and will not work at all. The seller needs to update the product info to state this so that buyers are aware and know to look for a compatible product. Very disappointing.

Vets Best Waterless Cat Bath 120ml
Vets Best Waterless Cat Bath 120ml
Offered by Vitamin Chaps
Price: 6.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not purrfect, 4 Nov 2013
Bought to assist my elderly cat. He's 20 and has long since given up grooming. Needless to say he's a little stinky, and whilst brushing helps keep his fur matt free, it does nothing to clean or remove odours from it. And at his age, as a cat that has always detested being bathed, I could not in all good conscience put him through the stress of a water bath for the sake of my nose.
The product produces a foam which does dampen the fur when rubbed in, however it doesn't over wet. When dry it brushes out easily leaving a fresher smelling (of the product which is very pleasant) and cleaner looking coat that appears nicely conditioned and soft to the touch. Not purrfect - my cat is still quite pongy, just not as pongy. Very happy to recommend though be warned delivery does take a long time.

3FT SINGLE MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS 10" SPRUNG MATTRESS
3FT SINGLE MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS 10" SPRUNG MATTRESS
Offered by BEDEXPRESS
Price: 64.95

2.0 out of 5 stars One man's meat is anothers poison!, 17 Oct 2013
2 stars given because I don't like it and I'm writing the review. But do read on because I was alone in my dislike.

I bought two of these mattresses, one for myself and one for my partner based on the good reviews and brilliant price.

They arrived in time (just about), and whilst there was a little bit of faff with the courier, it was soon rectified and the mattresses were delivered promptly at the specified time.

The mattresses do look slightly different than the picture, however the actual colour is far more practical and as it's not on show anyway I wasn't too bothered. On face value they look great! The mattress is very thick, and very springy/bouncy! That said, the quilting isn't really luxurious and I'd bet good money that the 4cm of 'high density memory foam' is nothing more than regular upholstery foam. It feels like no memory foam I've ever encountered.

The real test of course is in the nights sleep, and it's here that my partner and I would give quite different reviews.

He liked the way he sank all the way into the mattress, and said he had a perfectly good nights sleep, a great nights sleep in fact.
And certainly that opinion hasn't changed since the mattresses arrived 5 days ago.

In contrast, I very almost hated it! I hardly slept a wink and it only served to exacerbate every single ache and pain I have due to the bad support (clearly I need something much firmer); the amount of effort it took to move or roll over on a mattress that soft (in spite of being petite!); the noise the springs made whenever I moved, and the fact that I nearly rolled off the mattress every time I went near the edge due to the fact that there is no anti-roll or support up to the edge of the mattress. The latter alone does not lend itself to a good nights sleep. I woke up with the worst backache I've had in a very long time.

The next day I gave my daughter the mattress (she also really likes how soft and bouncy it is), and I had her old orthopaedic mattress with a newly bought memory foam topper, which is MUCH better!

If you like a soft, very bouncy mattress and aren't all that fussed about memory foam, then for the price this mattress is definitely for you.

But if you want something firmer that provides good support over every inch of the mattress surface, and would like the benefit of memory foam then this mattress is not for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7