Profile for Burning Amnesia > Reviews

Content by Burning Amnesia

Burning Amnesia "Burning Amnesia" (South Pole)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Silent Land
The Silent Land

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much more., 30 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Silent Land (Kindle Edition)
The Silent Land gets a straight up three for the premise and the premise alone.

Having thought about it, this would have been much better served as a short story. As it was there was simply too much padding throughout and pages and pages of the main characters performing the most mundane of tasks, which were in no shape or form even necessary to the plot.

Joyce also seemed to have problems with dialogue, it was way too choppy; alternating between formal and informal with no real consistency.

There also wasn't a lot to the central characters themselves - they read like ciphers with no real personality coming through at all. In fact the only two memorable characters in the whole book were featured in flashbacks. Jake's dad story was especially moving.

However, what I really disliked about the book was the sex scenes. I'm far from a prude, but they were very awkwardly written, out of place, and felt more like an adolescent teenage boy fantasy than anything else.

Thinking about it more, The Silent Land had the same issues that I had with The Tooth Fairy; there are some wonderfully crafted scenes, complete with an sublimely eerie atmosphere - but they aren't linked together very well, or just fizzle out with no real outcome.

It also didn't help that I worked out what was actually happening very early on.

I did like it. It just could have been so very much more.

The Tenant
The Tenant
by Roland Topor

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted little tale., 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Tenant (Paperback)
A deeply delicious descent into paranoia and insanity, with some hauntingly dark imagery along the way. Highly recommended to anyone look for something a little bit different.

This Is Not My Hat
This Is Not My Hat
by Jon Klassen

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: This Is Not My Hat (Hardcover)
A little companion piece that complements Klassen's previous book rather nicely. Wonderfully illustrated, and any little monster will love how this darkly humorous tale turns out.

Brilliant little story for teaching children about the dangers of stealing. Highly recommended.

Things I Like About America: Tales of an American Drifter
Things I Like About America: Tales of an American Drifter
by Poe Ballantine

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice find, 10 Feb. 2013
Picked this up on a whim and so glad I did, really enjoyed this book. Ballantine writes well without relying on any bells and whistles within his prose; the text is very simple, powerfully so, and the stories will stay with you for a long time afterward.

Most certainly going to look out his other works now.

The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion (Wordsworth Reference)
The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion (Wordsworth Reference)
by Sir James George Frazer

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a relevant read, 10 Feb. 2013
A modern day classic to be sure and it certainly makes for an interesting read. Although I did find my wavering a bit towards the end and found myself dipping in and out of the book, its content did keep me coming back for more. A lot of his work has since been disproved over the years, but there's still enough in here to keep anyone with an interest in mythology satisfied.

The Wee Book of Calvin: Air-Kissing in the North-East
The Wee Book of Calvin: Air-Kissing in the North-East
by Bill Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars Why be happy when you can be miserable, 10 Feb. 2013
Growing up I heard at lot of these sayings, or variations of these sayings, from the mouths of grandmothers, grandfathers, great aunts and the like. At the time the words filled me with just the right amount of dread, however, revisiting them in this format I had quite the opposite reaction. It's very rare that a book makes me laugh out loud, but Bill Duncan's collection had me in stitches.

Most certainly worth a look.

Trixie Espejo Scratching Post, 69 cm, Beige
Trixie Espejo Scratching Post, 69 cm, Beige

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 9 Feb. 2013
Scratcher came really quickly, was very easy to assemble, and most importantly, it's very sturdy. My cat really likes it as a nice place to sit and a rather convenient place to sharpen his talons. I'm happy with it.

Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric & Arcane
Magic: An Anthology of the Esoteric & Arcane
by Dan Abnett

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice collection, 28 Jan. 2013
Nice little varied collection this, with the contributions ranging from fantastical and quirky, to downright chilling. 'Shuffle' by Will Hill is worth the entry fee alone in terms of sheer quality, and I've got a feeling that story is going to stay with me for quite a while. A very entertaining anthology. My expectations were surpassed and then some.

The Travels and Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Classic Reprint)
The Travels and Surprising Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Classic Reprint)
by Rudolf Erich Raspe

4.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 28 Jan. 2013
Charmingly ludicrous and utterly mad, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen is a very fun read. I do think, however, that it's probably best dipped into every now and again, and not read straight through, otherwise the book will quickly lose its charm and become rather grating.

All My Friends are Superheroes
All My Friends are Superheroes
by Andrew Kaufman

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 28 Jan. 2013
An excellent little find. It's a short read and perfect in its sweet simplicity. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3