Profile for A. Hickson > Reviews

Content by A. Hickson

A. Hickson

Page: 1 | 2
Munich: The True Story of the Israeli Response to the 1972 Munich Olympic Massacre and the Development of Independent Covert Action Teams

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Summary, 10 Oct. 2013
I tried to read the book Vengeance but George Jonas but it was a novel. I just wanted the facts and this book provides it.

Dexter - Seasons 1-3 Complete [DVD]
Dexter - Seasons 1-3 Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael C. Hall
Offered by alan30965

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 10 Oct. 2013
This series was recommended and I was a bit doubtful. But actually I thoroughly enjoyed it. Good production values, very good script, good cast. Well worth watching.

The Black Hole War: My Battle with Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics
by Leonard Susskind
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 18 July 2013
This is one of my favourite books. It manages to teach cutting edge science but is also funny and entertaining.
Leonard Susskind admires Stephen Hawking's ground breaking work on Black Holes but is surprised when Hawking says that information is lost. He feels instinctively it can't be right even though most physicists seem to agree with Hawking. So Susskind starts to search for the truth. Many other scientists become involved and its a fascinating story.

I must say being a layman whose interested in science this is the most accessible book I've read on the subject. I also bought the audio cds to help me understand the science better and they were first rate.

Intel DH67BL Media Series Desktop Motherboard Intel Socket LGA1155 iH67 MicroATX RAID Gigabit LAN with B3 Revision (Single)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent motherboard, 2 Jun. 2012
I've built a really good PC with this board. Works flawlessly, no issues. The only drawback is you can't overclock it but that isn't something I'd want to do anyway. It has been superceded by the DH77EB which is very similar I think and the DH77EB has a USB3 internal header.

Operation Goodwood, July 1944: A Corridor of Death
Operation Goodwood, July 1944: A Corridor of Death
by Perry Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Controversial Battle, 30 Mar. 2011
Was it a win a draw or a defeat? All these years later we're still arguing about it. Its been described as a tactical German victory and an Allied strategic victory. This book is well written and there are plenty of statistics and photographs. The maps are good though not quite as easy to read as I would have liked. Perry Moore gives a clear and very thorough analysis of the battle and seems to conclude that it was a victory. I agree with Mr. Moore, but I'm not sure Eisenhower would have agreed. This tough battle caused quite a lot of controversy and Monty's reputation was affected. If the subject interests you then you should definitely read this book. Highly recommended.

The Desert Generals (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
The Desert Generals (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
by Correlli Barnett

3.0 out of 5 stars Armchair Generals, 10 Jan. 2011
I didn't realise I was buying a controversial book. Its certainly entertaining,and well written. There are heroes and villains and curiously the villains aren't German. Its clearly the result of a lot of work and its been updated. Mr. Barnet sets out to tell the story of all the Desert Generals and suggests where mistakes have been made, sacking Wavell, invading Greece etc.

Apparently, Auchinleck was changing the Eighth Army into a mobile fighting force similar to the Africa Korps. The Auk is portrayed as a gifted commander able to outwit Rommel in the new mobile warfare. Apparently at First Alamein, Rommel had "the oppressive awareness of being mastered by a superior will." My view is that Auchinleck was skilled at planning and understood the latest tactics. He saw how good the Alamein area was for defence for example. But he lacked management skills, many of the attacks at First Alamein were poorly planned and executed. Second Alamein was much better organised. Auchinleck also seemed to dither about taking command. The defeat at Gazala, Field Marshal Lord Carver suggests, was partly the Auk's fault and Ritchie made a scapegoat. Barnet and presumably Auchinleck, blame Ritchie for the defeat. Barnet says little about Auchinkleck's faults.

The criticism of Churchill seems justified in most instances, except I do think Churchill was right to sack Auchinleck.

Barnet seems to speculate at great length on Monty's shortcomings. For example he says Monty should have trapped and destroyed Rommel at Alam Halfa, but there are other views of this battle. Some have said it was monty's best. By adopting a strong static defence Monty was able to damage Rommel with little cost to Eighth army. By not charging the Africa Korps gun screen or attacking the new Panzer IV specials, Monty was able to conserve his forces for the next battle he was planning. Lord Carver agreed with Monty's judgement that Eighth Army just wasn't up to mounting a serious counter attack at that time. A disappointed Rommel angrily said "the swine isn't attacking!".

We're told Monty didn't give credit for planning by Eighth army staff for Alam Halfa or Second Alamein and he took all the credit. Thats true I think, Monty does seem to have wanted all the glory. In a documentary, made from the book, Barnet says "the trouble with Montgomery is that he's a liar." In his excellent book "Pendulum of War" Niall Barr does seem to confirm that Monty's memoirs aren't always reliable. If his generalship and his personality are still matters of controversy it does seem to be partly Monty's own fault. As Barnet says he seemed to want to portray himself as a military "messiah". As usual, Barnet goes too far when he talks about Monty being an "emotional cripple." Surely General Horrocks, an admirer of Monty, was nearer the truth when he described Monty as being tough and ruthless. We know morale soared in eighth army under Monty's firm and confident leadership and Monty had a good rapport with able Commanders like Freyberg who the Auk didn't get on with.

Its news to me but apparently after the war the "myth of Montgomery" was all pervasive and the contribution of people like Auchinleck, Dorman-Smith and Ramsden was forgotten. This book tries to set the record straight. I'm not sure if Corelli Barnet has succeeded. Thanks in part to this book I do wonder just how good a General Monty was though. Niall Barr calls this book brilliant and iconoclastic. Lord Carver makes some telling criticisms of "Desert Generals." If Monty's memoirs aren't entirely accurate, neither it seems, is Barnet' book. Barnet does seem biased in Auchinleck's favour and seems to imply he was the best of the Desert Generals. Yet Monty beat Rommel on 3 occasions whereas Auchinleck could only manage a draw and Monty surely deserves a lot of the credit for the victory in Normandy.

How far can you argue with success? Does it make sense, as Barnet keeps saying, yes Montgomery won that, but surely he should have done it this way? Another interesting and for me still open question is the role played by British Armour, its heavily criticised in Nigel Hamilton's book but not in others.

I think Niall Barr's "Pendulum of war" is the best book for the three battles at Alamein at the moment. For the rest of the desert war I would recommend you read "Desert Generals", "Dilemmas of the Desert War" and "Monty :the Making of a General".

Verbatim 47176 8GB Class 6 SD HC Pro Card
Verbatim 47176 8GB Class 6 SD HC Pro Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Card for my Camera, 2 Jun. 2010
I'm very happy with this memory card. I can notice the speed increase when my camera saves pictures to the card, its much faster. Excellent value.

Centennial Campaign: Sioux War of 1876
Centennial Campaign: Sioux War of 1876
by John S. Gray

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 2 May 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed this book on the Sioux War of 1876. It goes into a lot of detail but its always interesting and its useful to read this first if you're going to read a book about the Battle of the Little Big Horn. I was interested in the facts of the campaign and this was explained very well but I didn't agree with some of John Gray's views. For example he seems overly critical of some of the commanders, they seemed to struggle with the supply system and they didn't have enough men. One of the commanders he doesn't criticise is Custer which can't be right. Still it was a very good read.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Full Version (PC DVD), 1 User

4.0 out of 5 stars Best version of Windows yet, 2 May 2010
This is the best version of windows yet. I wonder if Snow Leopard on the Apple Mac is as good as this, as they do seem similar? I've installed the 64 bit version on two machines now and it installed very easily on both, identifying most of the drivers needed straight away. Its a joy to use, the gadgets are great and the preview on the task bar makes it much easier. There are many other improvements such as Libraries. My only quibble is the high price and the multiplicity of versions.

Edimax EW-7128G Wireless LAN PCI Card 802.11b/g 54Mbp (Ralink)
Edimax EW-7128G Wireless LAN PCI Card 802.11b/g 54Mbp (Ralink)
Offered by MEXXTRONICS

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Wireless Lan Card, 2 May 2010
I've bought three of these for different machines and they work well on the whole but I did have problems fitting one of the pci cards, it works ok but I couldn't seem to get it seated in the slot properly. I've never had that sort of problem with a pci card before. Good price though.

Page: 1 | 2