Profile for S J Buck > Reviews

Content by S J Buck
Top Reviewer Ranking: 488

S J Buck (Kent, UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Elton John: The Diving Board
Elton John: The Diving Board
by Hal Leonard Publishing Corporation

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Piano, 20 Dec. 2014
This is a sheet music book of the Elton John album The Diving Board. Generally the arrangements are very good. The original album placed the Piano and Elton's voice back at the front of the recording. So unlike his 80s recordings the album didn't have layer upon layer of (IMO) horrible DX7 type voices.

What this means for anybody buying the album, or this volume of sheet music is that you get to hear the Piano. The 3 Dream interludes are included in the sheet music, as is the Piano solo from My Quicksand. Generally I think these are fairly accurate. There are a few places where I think the sheet music has been simplified a little, such as bar 8 of the piano solo in My Quicksand where Elton would play octaves in his right hand but the music is written as single notes.

As with most popular sheet music, the vocal line is printed on a separate stave with the Piano arrangement on two separate staves. There are compromises to do this but most of the time it works and the arrangements are good. The pieces are not easy! Elton John is a good Piano player and to recreate these songs as solo Piano pieces will require quite a bit of work. In classical terms I'd put them in the grade 4 to 6 range.

This was another good album album from Elton John, with some terrific songs. Over the last decade he has had an Indian Summer late in his career, and with this albums focus back on the Piano, for the amateur pianist this volume of sheet music is well worth buying.

Canton Tea Organic Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea Tin 50 g
Canton Tea Organic Dragon Well Long Jing Green Tea Tin 50 g

4.0 out of 5 stars Expensive but good, 20 Dec. 2014
A very nice green tea, with a lovely subtle flavour. But note you only get 50g, which makes it very expensive. I've tried a few others and got 100g for virtually the same price, and the tea has been just as good. So yes I like it, but there is better value out if you look around.

Oscar Peterson Meets Roy Hargrove And Ralph Moore
Oscar Peterson Meets Roy Hargrove And Ralph Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars Late Peterson Quintet, 20 Dec. 2014
This is an interesting later recording of Oscar Peterson, which I have played multiple times now, and throughly enjoyed. The recording quality is excellent, as you'd expect from Telarc. Its worth mentioning that 7 of the 10 tunes here were written by Oscar Peterson. He is very under-rated as a writer.

This being a post-stroke OP album his left-hand use is very limited. Perhaps the odd note or chord is played with the left hand, but a lot of the time its completely absent. And that is why I can't give the album 5 stars. There are too many great albums when Oscar was in his prime that you should buy first. That said when you listen to the first track, you might doubt my sanity, as the band is fantastic and until his solo Oscar plays in a more modern style which fits the saxophone style of Ralph Moore, who clearly has listened to Coltrane in his time. And nothing wrong with that!

As this is a quintet the sound is a bit fuller than for most of Oscar Peterson's trio recordings, though on his solos (and without a guitarist) the missing powerhouse left-hand is quite noticeable. As I have said in another review of one of his later recordings there is an occasional slight fragility to his right-hand lines that probably wouldn't be as noticeable if his left-hand was still fully functioning.

However lets not get picky, I'm just happy the great man continued recording, and even with the limitations I've mentioned above this is still well worth owning. The other musicians including the great NHOP are all excellent. Enjoy.

Just a Minute: Anniversary Special (BBC Radio Collection)
Just a Minute: Anniversary Special (BBC Radio Collection)
by Nicholas Parsons
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 20 Dec. 2014
There are a multitude of Just a Minute recordings available and all of them are worth owning as the show has retained a freshness throughout the many decades of its existence. However if I could only have one set of recordings it would be this one.

The anniversary show itself is very good, running to twice the normal length and with guest subject setters in the audience. However the reason to buy this set, as another reviewer has noted, is the show with Elaine Stritch. This is very very funny and she dominates large parts of show, largely by not taking any notice of the rules, or perhaps simply by not knowing them!

Very few people got the better of Kenneth Williams, but listening to this, as I have done about a dozen times now, I got the impression that perhaps he was a little intimidated by her. That said it is the spark between the two of them that is the best thing about this show, and KW does have at least one great riposte during the show,

I have a lot of JAM shows on CD (about 30) and of all them this is my favorite.

3 DVD Set Simon Schama's The Power Of Art - The Complete BBC Series
3 DVD Set Simon Schama's The Power Of Art - The Complete BBC Series
Offered by MMRSALES

5.0 out of 5 stars Dutch version - but still very good!, 5 Dec. 2014
This is a fantastic series, which will give you a new appreciation of the 8 artists featured, not only in terms of their artwork, but also their lives as well. As someone who knew only a moderate amount, about only a few of the well known artists featured here (Van Gogh and Turner) I found the films on the other artists here particularly interesting. Sometimes I felt the content veered towards pretentiousness and if it were possible I'd knock half a star off for that.

This particular edition of the BBC series seemed like an amazing bargain.Unfortunately I failed to notice that it's a Dutch edition! So all the text on the DVD cases and outer cardboard case is in Dutch (I think).

However the original English soundtrack is present on the DVDs so all you have to do is turn off the Dutch subtitles and you can watch as it was originally shown on the BBC and get yourself a bargain.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific value for money., 22 Nov. 2014
This is a great value for money item at a fiver. It holds enough to make a couple of mugs, or 3 or 4 smaller cups of tea. I use it for green tea. My only criticism is that the infuser doesn't reach to the bottom of the pot, but in all honesty if you 3/4 fill the pot by the time you get to the bottom of the infuser (and there is still some left) your tea will either be stewed or not very warm!

I'm going to buy another one to take to work! Highly recommended.

Columbo: Series 3 [DVD]
Columbo: Series 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Peter Falk

5.0 out of 5 stars The best., 22 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Columbo: Series 3 [DVD] (DVD)
I think all the other reviews have said it all really. This is prime period Columbo, and certainly one of the best, if the THE best series of them all.

Peter Falk is marvelous as Columbo and I think because he played the part for such a long time he became underrated as an actor. Well as can be seen in this series, with some very good actors (Donald Pleasance for example) he was a superb actor, and easily matches and frequently over-shadows the other cast members. Columbo was not Peter Falk! All the mannerisms were created by the writers and his acting talent.

I'm not going to describe the excellent episodes on this set, as its been done already many times. However like one other reviewer I will point out that there are no subtitles on this set. I don't need them yet, but one day I may...

Mens Leather Motorcycle Biker Waistcoat Lace Sided by Skintan
Mens Leather Motorcycle Biker Waistcoat Lace Sided by Skintan
Offered by The Leatherbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Oct. 2014
In terms of value for money this is much better than I expected. It has that lovely leather smell and was a perfect fit to go over my various existing motorcycle jackets. At the price I paid this is a terrific product, and I'd recommend, and will look for Skintan clothing again when the time arises.

Harley Eagle (red beak) jumbo sized iron-on/sew-on cloth patch (os jumbo shaped)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent patch, 9 Oct. 2014
I bought this to put on the back of my Motorcycle jacket. Very impressed when it arrived, as its quite large. Its the iron on sort, although I've made the effort to sew it on as well (which took ages!). Seems to be a good quality product for the money and I can't find fault with it so far.

Jack Reacher [DVD]
Jack Reacher [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 9 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Jack Reacher [DVD] (DVD)
I struggled with this, as having read a couple of Lee Child's books I was aware that physically at least Tom Cruise is horribly miscast. But in the end this works. Its probably not 4 stars, but its better than 3. There is a nice, minor, but important role for Robert Duvall and some excellent action set pieces. Its an engaging story as well, that'll keep you guessing to the end.

Watching the limited extras (on the DVD) is worthwhile as they demonstrate how they went to a lot of effort to try and make the fight scenes realistic.

My opinion is that Lee Child wrote Jack Reacher, having seen a lot of Clint Eastwood movies! Even Clint wouldn't have been quite big enough in his prime, but he had the screen presence.... Having read two of the books I can hear Clint delivering some of Jack Reacher's terse dry lines. If only he'd written the books 35 years ago. Perhaps it would have been Jack Reacher and not Dirty Harry.....

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20