Profile for booksy > Reviews

Content by booksy

booksy "booksy" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
HITO™ 3.9" Smart, Simple and Silent LCD Alarm Clock- Repeating Snooze and Green Sensor light + Blue Night Light (White)
Offered by cerl-tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job brilliantly, 17 Nov. 2014
A cheap product that does exactly what it says it's going to do. So easy to set (you don't even really need instructions) and the display is fantastic. I'd been looking around for a clock that doesn't glow too brightly - I'm a bit of an insomniac; so I need my room as dark as possible, but I also need a clock to look at, so that I can torment myself throughout the night about how little I've actually slept. This fits the bill perfectly. The display can be adjusted to your own personal preference, and when it's turned right down, it emits a very weak glow; not enough to disturb, but perfect for middle-of-the-night viewing. All it means though, is that the display is difficult to read in the daytime unless you get up close, However, I have other clocks, watches etc to look at of a day - this was bought specifically as a nighttime clock and is perfect.

Foaming Face Wash - Anti Blemish
Foaming Face Wash - Anti Blemish

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst face product I've ever used., 17 Nov. 2014
This is by far the worst face wash I've used in my life. Ever. And I'm 40. I love natural, organic products without any nasties in - but I still expect them to work, as stated. To describe this as a 'foaming' face wash though is ludicrous. I bought it to use with my Clarisonic Mia - which requires a product that will work up a good lather (else it's just like a rotating brush dragging across your skin). I think Green People need to work out the difference between a face wash that comes out in foam form, and one that is a foaming product (i.e. works up a lather). While I realise that the absence of the normal rubbish some companies put in their products means that this might not work up the same type of lather as other brands, there should still be some nod to foam. There's not. It pumps out as what I can only describe as an incredibly light foam. The moment you apply it to your skin, it disappears entirely. It's like moving your hands around your face just with water (don't even try to get it to work with a Clarisonic). This product isn't cheap either, and I'd expected so much more from it - least of all for it to actually 'exist' on the skin for more than a second. I tried using two, then three pumps (wasting more product) to see if that would get it to foam. Nope. So, don't be fooled - this isn't a foaming face wash in any way, shape or form. It feels little better than washing in plain old water - and my face didn't feel at all clean after using it. Had I not already removed my makeup with Bioderma Micellar Water (an amazing product), I doubt it would have shifted much makeup off at all. Definitely not a deep clean, and definitely not worth the money.

Curly Q Custard - Curl Cream for THICK, KINKY textured curls
Curly Q Custard - Curl Cream for THICK, KINKY textured curls
Offered by Adams Beauty

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible overpowering smell, 12 Nov. 2014
This product has such an overwhelming and repugnant smell, that I can't bring myself to use it on my daughter with any regularity. It is so heavily vanilla-scented that, unless you adore the smell of vanilla, you may find it off-putting; and if you dislike the smell of 'artificial' vanilla, then steer well clear. I can only equate its pungency to one of those dangling scented trees you hang in a car; it's that potent. And it doesn't go away either. I didn't wash my little girl's hair for a couple of days and I could still smell it. As for the texture, it's very thick and gloopy, meaning it's easy to use too much. It sort of worked in my child's hair but I did feel it weighed it down quite a lot too - I am sure that sprays are a far better method of dispersing hair products. I actually have Curly Q's spray version too - again another fail though as the atomiser doesn't release a fine, wide spray - it simply shoots out in one jet (meaning I have to spray it into my hands first before applying). For such an expensive brand, I can't say I'm overly impressed.

On a Hill
On a Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Creepy and enjoyable, 9 Nov. 2014
This review is from: On a Hill (Kindle Edition)
First up, I'm going to state that I don't know the author in any capacity - I say this because it seems, for some reason, that there are a number of 1-star reviews hauling accusations at those who've posted positive reviews, along the the lines that they must know the author. I happened across this story via a link on Creepy Pasta - a site which contains a lot of rubbish and the odd gem (and I say that as someone who's had stories on there myself. It's a truly mixed bag). Anyway, I thought I'd give this story a go - and I was incredibly impressed. Yes it has flaws - namely typos (and, for the first time ever, I flagged these up via my Kindle, because I think this writer deserves to get this book to the best level he can). I have read very few ghost stories in recent times that build up such a wonderful air of creepiness and menace. I'd say that Michael Whitehouse is just a few steps behind the likes of Susan Hill (and, if he had an editor and that last layer of polishing, I don't doubt he could be up there). I love Hill's books - but even she's hit some dud notes in her time (such as Dolly).

This work was somewhere between a short story and a novelette and, while some people have said it smacks of a pastiche, surely every modern ghost story that's written in the tone of a Gothic horror should be met with the same accusation (Hill included). There is nothing wrong with taking a formula that works and spinning it into a new story. Arguably, many modern horrors lack what the Gothic horrors had in abundance - atmospheric descriptions, a growing sense of dread, gradual revelations ... all of which are lacking in some of the guts and gore horrors on offer today.

To my mind, this is a classic ghost story - one that builds gradually and is intriguing enough to hold the reader's attention. It is incredibly well written - although it could do with a little polishing in places; ironing out of repetitive words or phrases and clearing out all typos. However, apart from that, there is real potential there and a genuine talent.

I am, therefore, genuinely intrigued by some of the vitriolic responses to the higher-star ratings. I don't consider myself 'dim witted' or someone who ought to be consigned to reading the Beano, yet I enjoyed this story. It's a quick little read and has much to commend it.

Neverland: A Supernatural Thriller
Neverland: A Supernatural Thriller

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing., 5 Nov. 2014
I so wanted to like this novel. It's got all the elements of a should-be great story - a dysfunctional family; a creepy shack; a decidedly odd cousin - along with a fair bit of humour. So, I'm struggling to pinpoint exactly why I'm struggling! However, at 27% on the Kindle, I'm about to give up. Because, for some reason, it's just not working. The pace is too slow and it's taking too long to return to what's happening in Neverland. I want more of that - more creepy narrative and less about Aunt Cricket's drinking or Grammy Weenie writing in her journal. And that's another thing - some of this just feels too forced; too try-hard, like the assortment of odd character names. Beauregard. Sumter. Weenie. And let's not forget the baby, Governor! It all just misses a beat. It reminded me a little of We Were Liars - a fantastic (and creepy in its own right) novel about an extended family that comes together once a year, on a private island, for their holiday. In that novel, there is the hint of something more - a dark secret. But while you're getting to the point, the narrative is so engaging that it keeps you reading on. In this novel, I just couldn't see where it was going - and where I wanted it to be headed (back to the shack) was taking far too long to arrive.

I hate giving up on books - however, something either grabs you or it doesn't. So, as I was flailing around with it, I came on to check out some of the lower reviews and I can see that, if I'm finding it dull now, it probably won't get any better for me. Such as shame, as I love the idea and part of this were very good in isolation.

The Thicket
The Thicket

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure reading pleasure, 23 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Thicket (Kindle Edition)
If only more books were like this. That you finish them and feel totally bereft because you're leaving behind characters you've grown to love.

While the plot behind The Thicket isn't anything complex or twisty, the dialogue and pace, along with a host of wonderful characters, keep you turning the pages. This novel sparkles with wit and charm, and I found myself re-reading many parts just for the sheer pleasure of how certain sections were phrased. My favourite character was Shorty - a midget who's anything but a small man; fierce, loyal, wise and witty. And how can you not love a character who comes out with gems like: "... what you have done is tie an anvil to the feet of time, causing it to drag itself about in circles", in response to a character who's telling bad jokes to try and pass the time. And the narrator himself had a pretty nifty turn of phrase too ... 'he looked like he'd been through a fire and someone had tried to put it out with a dull hatchet'.

All I can say is that this book is simply wonderful and I honestly feel upset that I've finished it now. I would love for there to be a follow up to this novel. It doesn't need one (it's not one of those unsatisfying books that isn't properly tied up at the end). However, I do feel that those characters who survived the Thicket could easily regroup for another adventure!

The Humans
The Humans

4.0 out of 5 stars A warm, feelgood novel, 14 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Humans (Kindle Edition)
This is such a feel-good book. Is it the best book ever or the most literary book ever written? No. But that doesn't detract from the enjoyment. If someone's a hardcore sci-fi fan, they won't be impressed by this novel. However I don't think it's really meant to be a sci-fi book as such. It's more a celebration of what it means to be human and it helps you focus on those things we normally take for granted. I found it to be warm, amusing, sweet, whimsical and engaging. It's not a hugely deep-thinking book but it is a lovely tribute to humanity from an author who's obviously been in dark place but has also managed to see the subtleties that make life worth living.

Kids Curly Q Moist Curls Moisturiser 240 ml
Kids Curly Q Moist Curls Moisturiser 240 ml
Offered by Adams Beauty

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't spray properly, 6 Oct. 2014
The main issue I have with this product is the spray nozzle. Rather than dispensing a fine, wide mist (as you'd expect), it comes out in one long jet. This isn't particularly helpful when you're wanting to target as much of the hair surface as possible as it just saturates one small section. So I've had to start spraying it into my hands, rubbing them together and then applying it to my little one's hair like that - which is sort of yuk as I hate the feel of it! It does separate the curls nicely - however, I think it would work better if the spray worked as it ought to, coating more of the hair. As with products such as mascara, the way it's dispensed is almost as important as the product itself - and, because of the issue with the atomizer, I'm having to mark it down.

Sharing a Bed (Taboo Forbidden Pregnancy)
Sharing a Bed (Taboo Forbidden Pregnancy)

1.0 out of 5 stars An utter disgrace, 30 Sept. 2014
I've read a lot of erotica and I'm no prude. However, this book is a disgrace. It is the type of book that green lights paedophilia and gives the types of 'justifications' child abusers use themselves when grooming their victims. While the character herself is 18 years old (so over the age of consent), and while the man she sleeps with is her step father, it's clear, however, that to all intents and purposes this is the person who has raised her in the capacity of a father since she was a child. She references having been naked in front of him at 5 years of age. All the time she refers to him as 'daddy'. And it's she who initiates the sexual encounter. So, what does this say? That girls, really, are wanting it from their fathers (just so long as they catch a glimpse of them playing with themselves). No. NEVER. I realise the title says 'taboo'. However, there's a vast difference between writing which edges on the taboo and that which is irresponsible, perverted and sick. And this book falls into that category. Would I have objected had the character formed a relationship with a step father who'd recently come into her life, when she was an adult? No. That's different. But to write a story from the perspective that a child has been raised by someone, calls them 'daddy' and then initiates sex is totally and utterly sickening and irresponsible. And this, during a time when the news is awash with fresh allegations of child abuse and adults who've groomed them and abused their position of trust. It's exactly the type of book found on paedophiles' computers when they're arrested (because it attempts to formulate the view that, despite the familial relationship, the offspring (whether related or not) really wants it).

First Fruits
First Fruits

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastically strong narrative, 27 Sept. 2014
This review is from: First Fruits (Kindle Edition)
This is the second of Penelope Evans' books that I've read (the first being The Last Girl). Both prove that this writer has an amazing grasp of the first person narrative. As with The Last Girl (narrated by the pensioner Larry), this novel has an equally strong voice - that of Kate Carr, who believes herself to be the luckiest girl in the world, because her dad is Keith Carr (a minister with a gift for winning people over). Kate's tone of voice is, of course, totally different to Larry's - and here Penelope Evans demonstrates her skill for the nuances of language - this time, the way a 14 year old girl would speak and think. As with The Last Girl, though, the writer subtly drops in hints, via the narrative, that the narrator's internal landscape (and exterior life) isn't quite 'right'. Kate genuinely believes she's lucky - but here is where the writer's true skill reveals itself, because we, as readers, soon start to see (even though we're told nothing to the contrary) that Kate isn't really that lucky at all. There are moments of genuine humour in the book and wonderful insights into the way teenage girls interact with each other (again, these nuances make the narrative all the more believable. You genuinely feel this has been written by a 14 year old (albeit a very articulate one!)). I don't want to say much more, for fear of spoiling the book - other than to say, it seems that whatever Penelope Evans turns her hand to comes off brilliantly. I just don't understand why this writer isn't better known. She certainly deserves to be spoken about more than she currently is.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14