Profile for Katerina4488 > Reviews

Content by Katerina4488

Katerina4488 (London, UK)

The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)
The Night Circus (Vintage Magic)

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly underwhelmed!, 1 Nov. 2011
There's a great deal of hype surrounding this book and, although I don't really go for stories that require too much of a suspension of disbelief, I was lured into believing that this would be worth my while. Hmmm

I must confess to skim reading the last 100 or so pages as I couldn't wait for it to be over. The story jumped around in time, was too ambitious, I didn't care about any of the characters and the ending felt rushed. And that's without mentioning the frankly stupid premise which never really had any proper resolution or explanation

This has a lot of promise but sadly it doesn't deliver (or live up to the hype). Really disappointed

Ellis Island
Ellis Island
by Kate Kerrigan

2.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable enough, but not that great either, 8 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Ellis Island (Paperback)
I'd recommend this book if you are looking for something a bit predictable, a bit throwaway and you aren't hoping to really be taxed by the story. It starts off being quite promising, but then it is so cliched and predictable towards the end I started speed reading to finish it.

In the end I found myself intensely disliking the main character who was pretty selfish all the way through, demanding things and treating people in a terrible way, along with changing her mind with every chapter about whether she was or wasn't happy and then just when you thought she was, changing her mind again. Infuriating!

I liked the descriptions of '20s New York though, that part of the book was quite good, but the end part in Ireland... bleurrghhhhh. Throwaway fiction which should have been a lot better. Littered with mistakes too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 8, 2010 8:07 AM GMT

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1)
by Stieg Larsson

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping... This is a great book, 2 April 2010
I was skeptical about reading this book due to all the hype surrounding it but I was not disappointed! Great characters and a fast-moving plot make this one you won't be able to put down.

My only criticisms would be the over-the-top description of the technology, I mean who needs to know what speed the main protagonist's computer is running at or where he downloaded a specific programme? Also, some of the translation is a bit pedantic but you can forgive that as the story moves along at a great pace.

Half way through the second installment now and enjoying that just as much!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

The Return
The Return
by Victoria Hislop

1.0 out of 5 stars Total rot, 9 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The Return (Paperback)
After reading The Island, I had hoped The Return would be of a similar quality but I was sadly disappointed.

Pedestrian storytelling, annoying characters, way too much description of every day events (which is a a sign of very poor writing technique) and a downright unbelievable and extremely contrived ending make this one you should avoid. I skim read from about half-way through and was desperate to finish and get onto something better.

If you want to read something moving and well written on the Spanish Civil War, go for Guernica by Dave Boling or, failing that, buy a history book.

Very poor

City of Dark Hearts
City of Dark Hearts
by James Conan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 9 Nov. 2008
I have to say this is one of the worst books I have read in a long time. Predicatable story, stereotypical characters, overlong and overblown plot and way too many characters meant I was skim reading just to get to the end. A good idea in theory, which was clouded by over ambition.

If you like good fiction then don't read this. If you enjoy predictable, throw away fiction like The Da Vinci Code then go for it!

Call Me Elizabeth: Wife, Mother, Escort
Call Me Elizabeth: Wife, Mother, Escort
by Dawn Annandale

3.0 out of 5 stars A brave lady, but..., 14 Sept. 2006
I read this book in three days and I really did feel for the plight of 'Elizabeth' and what she was forced to put herself through to help her family survive. I thought it was a good read and it was enlightening as to how these things actually work and how people can fall into such professions quite by chance.

However, for all that enjoyed about the book, I was also frustrated when I learnt that she was doing it mostly to be able to afford to put her children through private school! I know this was due to her bad childhood etc and I can totally understand that she wanted to give them everything, but I can say that, from my own experience of moving schools three times up and down the country from the age of 4 until 12, that this did me less harm then it would have to find out my mother had been a prostitute.

Call me heartless, but why didn't she just send them to a normal state school in the first place, which would have meant no school bills, and then maybe she might have been able to survive with either less time being an escort or without having to do it at all. Just my opinion.

I also thought that it was a shame that she didn't properly acknowledge any of the real issues surrounding people who are abused as children and what they carry into later life. That would have been important, and I think it should have been addressed more seriously as opposed to the Hollywood-style ending!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2013 1:45 AM BST

Cloud Atlas
Cloud Atlas
by David Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable yet hard going in places, 22 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Cloud Atlas (Paperback)
There are parts of Cloud Atlas which I really enjoyed. The stories linking together, the way they concluded in different parts of the book, interesting and sometimes thought-provoking characters and time periods and, in parts, some great writing which willed me to stay up late and finish a chapter.

Then the were the hard going, confusing and not very enjoyable I-want-to-rip-out-all-the-pages-as-I-can't-bear-to-read-it-any-longer sections. Particularly 'Slooshas crossing' which I found to be overwritten and very hard to understand, I must admit to speed-reading most of it just to get it over with, but then that kind of thing with a 'new language' has never been my favourite. Sadly I found at times it was very hard to will myself to continue, even though it gets better towards the end.

It is worth a read, but be prepared for the very long and confusing middle section and a slight anti-climax at the end, I would have liked to have seen more of a conclusion linking everything together.

After reading some of the reviews on here I wonder if I was reading the same book at times, or maybe I just didn't get it - you have to decide for yourself!

Design: Capability and Awareness
Design: Capability and Awareness
by John Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC, 10 Mar. 2005
Very helpful and excellent reference work for all A-Level students