Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for Adrian Collingwood > Reviews

Content by Adrian Collingwood

Adrian Collingwood (Durban South Africa)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Zoella Sticker Me Beauty Bag
Zoella Sticker Me Beauty Bag
Offered by Unity Goods

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible and Nasty, 5 May 2016
My twelve year old daughter bought this bag and another of Zoella's bags ( Lace Beauty Bag). ( See my review with regard to that)
They are both horrible plastic rubbish.

It is perhaps a good lesson for her about the dangers of buying on the internet but I'm her Dad and I really do try to protect her from being hurt. So , expensive lesson perhaps, but one which I'd rather not have subjected her to.

It does Zoella no credit that she promotes this sort of thing, and as for Amazon, does it not have some vetting policy as to what it will or won't sell?

Zoella Beauty Lace Collar Purse / Make up Bag / Cosmetics Pouch
Zoella Beauty Lace Collar Purse / Make up Bag / Cosmetics Pouch
Offered by Bargain Gateway

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty Nasty ( but by no means cheap), 5 May 2016
Every day for the past week my twelve year old has asked me if her order had arrived. We live in South Africa so it takes time ( including expensive postage and heavy import duties to buy products like these).

My problem is that I'm afraid that she is going to be really hurt and disappointed.

This bag is JUNK!!!!

It really is awful.

Amazon has all sorts of policies - including restrictions about abusive, offensive or racist language. So, with that in mind let me just say that this bag is the sort of thing that my 89 year old mother would think is typical of what comes from some far flung island.

Shame on you Zoella!

Archangel - BBC [DVD]
Archangel - BBC [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT AS GOOD AS THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL, 11 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Archangel - BBC [DVD] (DVD)
If my praise for this series is muted it isn't because it isn't well acted or because the script is poor or the production values are less than desirable. I rather enjoyed it. I haven't read the book but it strikes me that if this series is closely based upon it , then Ira Levin would've had cause to feel a tad irritated. No, this isn't exactly plagiarism, but the central idea comes mighty close (swop , Stalin for Hitler and Beria for Mengele).

Father Brown Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Father Brown Series 1 [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Mark Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Catholics, 21 Nov. 2014
If you've enjoyed reading G K Chesterton you'll be disappointed with this series and if you haven't read Chesterton you ought still to be disappointed.

The Father Brown stories were written in order to advancing arguments for , or at least explain, Catholic teaching.

For the most part the plots are of little consequence - in fact they are sometimes even trivial.

But ,as one literary critic put it,you are liable to find an idea which will force you to stop and think through on almost every page.So, this is not the sort of material which lends itself to adaptation for a TV series.

I found Mark Williams' interpretation of the Father Brown character irritating. He is presented as, if not exactly prissy, then almost effete and unlike any Catholic priest that I've ever met - a sort of agnostics caricature of an Anglican parson.

The setting is transposed from the 20's or 30's to the 50's. I have no problem with that.

However, (and I don't know who is to blame for it - is it the producer/director or the script writer or the actors' improvisations?) the whole production displays a woeful ignorance of both Catholic culture and practice.
Catholic would not - especially in the 1950's- dip their fingers into a tart for a taste on their way to mass ( they'd have to refrain from going to communion if they did that) and no Catholic priest EVER stands in the entrance of a church greeting people on arrival - going out yes, but going in, never! I could give more examples but what is the point?

Let me just say that if you are are Catholic you'll find the series irritating and if you're not a Catholic then the series will reinforce whatever prejudices you might have.

I'd have given the series a much lower star rating but for the fact that ,quite inexplicably in my view, so many others have given it 5 stars. So in deference to them, I must accept that it must has some charm that I did not see..
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2015 3:56 PM GMT

French Connection 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] [1975]
French Connection 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD] [1975]
Dvd ~ Gene Hackman

2.0 out of 5 stars I went to great lengths to get these films, 18 Nov. 2014
I went to great lengths to get these films. In their time they were regarded as exceptional but neither comes close to expectations. Actually they are rather awful and, as much as I have tried to make allowances for their age, there is very little that I can say in their favor.
In The French Connection (1) there are two positives - Gene Hackman does not act badly and the basic plot is derived from ( it would be too much of a stretch say "based upon") actual events - most of the movie stretches the credulity but, indisputably, the NYPD did succeed in one huge drugs bust in the early 70's.
I cannot think of any positives about French Connection ii.
It is a terrible movie. The viewer is even likely to be irritated by the "Popeye" Doyle character. I can't remember if I saw this film when it first came out - but I have read about the fact that all the drugs confiscated in the first operation were later stolen from the exhibits room of the Police, so I was surprised that the second film was not about that incident. Instead, this plot is made up and silly - so silly in fact that all the acting is inept.....avoid, avoid!

Corleone The Complete Series [Cinema Italia] [DVD]
Corleone The Complete Series [Cinema Italia] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniele Liotti

3.0 out of 5 stars Worth Seeing But Certainly Not Worthy of 5 Stars, 9 July 2014
This is a series which won't disappoint. Although the acting seems ( at times) to be "over the top" ( when viewed from a perspective of more emotionally restrained cultures), it is probably not too far from how the real life persons being portrayed actually behaved.
Nevertheless I do wonder how faithful the series is to the actual events - I suspect that at times any similarity is "co -incidental" at best.

Even so, I enjoyed it.

Each of the 6 episodes lasts for 90 to 100 minutes.

I'd have preferred to have rated the series at three and a half stars but Amazon won't allow half stars. Oh well, if I am going to err it is on the side of being a bit conservative. How anybody can rate the series as worthy of 5 stars escapes me. At least my rating will help to adjust the average rating to more appropriate levels.

37 Days: The Countdown To World War 1 (BBC) [DVD]
37 Days: The Countdown To World War 1 (BBC) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ian McDiarmid

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but A Limited Perspective, 30 Jun. 2014
In this cetennial year of the outbreak of hostilities, book shops seem to be inundated with new histories of the period. Surprisingly, the same cannot be said about movies - this is the only one of which I am aware which has obviously been timed to come out when it has.

Let me begin by saying that it is really worth seeing- the acting is good and the script, in particular, is superb.

My misgiving about the film is that , if not biased, then it is at least too Anglo - centric.

Having read but three or four histories of that period, I make no claims to any expertise. But given that "war guilt and WW1" was to become such an important issue at Versailles and, of course, the events leading up to WW11, I am disappointed that the presentation of the times was done in less one sided terms.

Churchill comes out almost unscathed. The Kaiser and von Molkte (especially) are the villains of the piece.And as for the French? We arn't even shown so much as one scene involving the French government deliberating - come to think of it we see no French general or politician at all. The Austrian Emperor has no speaking part and Tsar Nicholas has very little air time too.

In the main we observe the events from the perspective of the Foreign Office.All well and good.

Surely an historical account should attempt a wider perspective?

Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2014 3:21 PM BST

The Women on the 6th Floor ( Les femmes du 6ème étage ) ( The Women on the Sixth Floor )
Dvd ~ Sandrine Kiberlain
Offered by plusdecinema

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie - But Not Worth Four or Five Stars _, 19 Sept. 2013
Perhaps I'm mean with my ratings but I don't often give five star ratings..

As far as this film is concerned it isn't "unmissable" and I wouldn't even say that it is something that you should "try to see". But if you're looking for something to while away 90 minutes after a hard day at the office, then this is for you.

There is a light touch to it. You'll smile often and you'll grow to care about the characters.

Searching For Sugar Man [DVD]
Searching For Sugar Man [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rodriguez

5.0 out of 5 stars History Fictionalised - but an enjoyable film none the less, 21 Jan. 2013
In 1971 "Cold Fact" was released in South Africa.

It never occurred to me at the time that Rodriguez wasn't an international star. It was only years later,in 1998, that I realized that he'd been unknown outside South Africa.

This is a wonderful tale of Rodriquez' "rediscovery".

With one technical reservation aside ( the sound quality of one interview was terrible - but this might just have been a problem with my disk), it is a great film. I urge you to see it.

Why his records didn't sell outside South Africa is a mystery.

Even today his music sounds magnificent. Just last night my ten year old daughter insisted on playing and replaying my old "Cold Fact" CD at max volume.

How things change: with my little one screaming out "I wonder how many times you've had sex and I wonder if you know who'll be next" my wife and I were looking at each other not knowing how to react.

Then I remembered that I was the same age as my daughter when the song first came out. It didn't seem to do me much harm.

But,for the moment, ignore the media hype. .

That Rodriguez attracted a following in South Africa in 1971 wasn't because his songs lent themselves to expressing dissent to Apartheid.

He never sang about racism and ,if he had, his records would have been banned.

In actual fact, during 1971 and most of the early 70's very little was happening on the "political" front here anyway.

Public opposition to apartheid was almost unheard of among Blacks. Among whites, political dissent was confined to some liberals and students and, a handful of churchmen. (Without researching the year and thus off the top of my head, all that I can remember that happened here was the SAP beating up some kids outside St Georges Cathedral in Cape Town and the government being gravely suspicious of the activities of NUSAS (the student organization to which English speaking Universities were affiliated).The sports boycott was starting to be felt - a few demonstrators in Australia and two cancelled tours prompting South African cricketers to stage a walk -off at the Republic celebrations.)

Yes, Rodriguez' work is a protest.But those of us who bought his music were titillated by the scandalous lifestyle which we imagined that he was leading. We found his lines about "Rich Folks" amusing, about drugs a bit shocking and about sex daring - just as my ten year old does now.

It was all pretty juvenile stuff and utterly unconnected to racial oppression.

When you see the movie footage of riots and protests, this has nothing to do with Rodriguez and, it didn't happen in 1971 either.( From what I could make out, one of the scenes of "unrest" is little more than crowd excitement at a Transvaal rugby match - we South Africans do get carried away about such things).

As I suggested at the outset, make an effort to see the film. It is delightful. But take it with a healthy pinch of salt.

To Bid or Not to Bid: The LAW of Total Tricks
To Bid or Not to Bid: The LAW of Total Tricks
by Larry Cohen

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading To Improve Your Competitive Bidding, 24 Aug. 2012
I bought this book soon after it was first published.It has made a HUGE difference to my game.

It doesn't really discuss "systems" nor does it even touch upon card play.

The focus of the book is upon the competitive auction and those dilemmas which occur in about three quarters of all of them:
"Should I Pass?"
"Should I bid 'one more'?"
"Should I sacrifice?"
"Should I Double?".

You might feel that you have good judgement or intuition. Perhaps you have.But if there is something which could assist you to make better decisions, then why not avail yourself of it?

For myself, my tournament average has increased about 5% since I've read it.
(Of course your partner must read it too!)

It doesn't always work - but the author is at pains to tell you this. However you need to get these decisions right most of the time.I see no reason why your game won't improve by huge leaps if you apply the principles set out in the book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3