Profile for Jennifer HH > Reviews

Content by Jennifer HH

Jennifer HH (California (via UK))

Universal Stylus Pen Bundle including 4 Long Stylus Pens and 4 Short Stylus Pens also Compatible with All Capacitive Touchscreen Devices inlcuding Android Tablets, iPod Touch, iPhone, Samsung Galaxy Tablet and more / plus 1 ECO-FUSED® Microfiber Cleaning Cloth (Black/Blue/Light Blue/Green)
Offered by ECO-FUSED UK

Duty Free
Duty Free
by Moni Mohsin

5.0 out of 5 stars Only wish I could buy Meera Syal's superb reading of it, too!, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Duty Free (Paperback)
Like the previous reviewer, I bought this book (and "Diary of Social Butterfly") because I so enjoyed Meera Syal's brilliantly funny reading of it as Radio 4's "Book of the Week" (Or maybe it was "Book at Bedtime" - I hear them via "Listen Again" and always confuse the two.)

The book is a light and highly entertaining read. I particularly enjoyed the humour that stemmed from the juxtaposition of the hi-tech aspects of modern Pakistan and the more traditional aspects of the country, which most people think of first. And, still more, I appreciated the author's talent for making readers laugh at what they learn from the narrator's words, even as the latter self-importantly tells them something completely different.

But much as I enjoyed the book, I think it was Meera Syal's reading of it that made it golden for me. So I'd REALLY like to purchase a recording of that, too. Both for myself and for others. Given that there are only two reviews here so far, and we were both drawn to the book by Ms. Syal's performance, it seems to me that there would definitely be a market for the "As Heard on Radio" audiobook!

If anyone ever finds one, please, please post the details. I tried to make a mental note of the production company and thought they said Pacifica, but that seems to be based in the States and I'm fairly certain that the live performance took place in the UK.

Only Fat People Skip Breakfast
Only Fat People Skip Breakfast
by Lee Janogly

5.0 out of 5 stars The only diet book that works past Wednesday......, 4 Nov. 2006
I've been a serial dieter for most of my adult life. (Start most Mondays and when I stick it out until Wednesday, it's a good week...)

I know all the theory: I just fail the practical. Or failed.

When it comes to losing weight, I don't need a diet. I know "all there is to be know'd" about diets. What I lack is willpower. Of the hundreds of slimming books and magazines I have read, this is the only one that has ever worked. Because it changed my way of thinking. Suddenly I found that elusive ingredient.

Two of the author's many telling comments stand out in my mind. One is that every time you choose the cake or the calorie-laden dessert, you are choosing to be fat. So simple. But so effective. Suddenly, I was no longer a miserable failure at losing weight: I was just choosing to be fat. Except that - unbelievably - I wasn't. When I had the choice, I was choosing NOT to eat the piece of gateau/biscuit/proffered sweet, etc. Instead of trying desperately to resist, and failing miserably yet again. Unheard of!! At first I couldn't quite believe what I was doing. But I have made that choice so many times since reading the book that now "I'm a believer".

The other comment was a question. If someone was trying to give up smoking, would you allow him one cigarette a day? That's what most diets do. You're allowed one, or maybe two, treats a day. And when you're a serial dieter like me, by George you live for that daily treat. The rest of what you eat is just duty. And a pretty disagreeable duty, at that. What you're thinking about, and all you really care about, is that one little treat. But the sugar in the treat is the smoker's cigarette....

As someone else said, maybe this book isn't for everyone. But it's the only one that's ever worked long-term for me. If you've read masses of dieting books and/or magazines; if you know all the theory and still fail the practical; I'd recommend that you try this book. So far, I have bought four copies! One for me and three for fellow sufferers. It has changed my life. I hope it changes theirs. And yours. Good luck.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2009 7:22 PM BST