Profile for JayMain > Reviews

Desolation Island
by Patrick O'Brian
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Desolation Island (Paperback)
Of all the books I read, the Aubrey Maturin tales by Patrick O'Brian are definitely the best serial books I have come across, and of all the adventures this is my favourite. These books are painstakingly accurate accounts of what life was like on ships of the era, and although the actual adventures documented in the books are fictional, they are so closely woven into factual history that they may as well be true. Brilliant.

Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on a Bummel (Wordsworth Classics)
Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on a Bummel (Wordsworth Classics)
by Jerome K. Jerome
Price: 1.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the humour is lost on me., 15 Nov 2013
I was recommended this book by a friend who read it twice and can't stop talking, or laughing about it. I have done my best with it but I just don't find it that funny. I like the way it is written and it's historical relevance, but in the end I found it a bit long drawn out and not as hilarious as others seem to find it. Maybe it is me that should be reviewed negatively!.

Osprey Adults OSS Silicone Swimming Cap / Hat , mens, ladies (Yellow)
Osprey Adults OSS Silicone Swimming Cap / Hat , mens, ladies (Yellow)
Offered by I Never Knew I Wanted That

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit tight, 15 Nov 2013
I bought the yellow one to make me more visible when swimming in the sea. It certainly does that job, my only complaint would be that it is very tight, my head is quite big, my hat size, not my ego, and it is fairly restricting, otherwise it is durable and good value.

The Busy Girl's Guide to Digital Photography
The Busy Girl's Guide to Digital Photography
by Lorna Yabsley
Price: 12.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive book & not just for busy girls, 15 Nov 2013
My wife has this book and it has been laying around for a few days. I am quite a keen photographer myself but I learnt a lot in the first few minutes of browsing and ended up working my way through the whole book. I think everybody will learn something from this book, not just the basics of photography but a lot on how to treat your subjects, how to break the accepted rules for good effect and definitely lots of expert tips. It is a comprehensive guide that takes you right from the camera itself through to handling the digital image.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 6:46 PM GMT

Gypsy Boy: One Boy's Struggle to Escape from a Secret World
Gypsy Boy: One Boy's Struggle to Escape from a Secret World
by Mikey Walsh
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A captivating read, 15 Nov 2013
This book, the 'troubled childhood' genre, isn't really my cup of tea, but my wife reads them from time to time,and whilst on holiday I started it on her recommendation, and was immediately gripped by it. The story is told in quite a basic, factual and fairly unemotional way, which I soon grew to like. It grew on me quickly and has stuck in my mind since as on of the most thought provoking books I have read in recent times.

LOUDelephant faux fur panda animal hat with Velcro chin strap (56cm)
LOUDelephant faux fur panda animal hat with Velcro chin strap (56cm)
Offered by LOUDelephant
Price: 11.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Erm, Lovely., 15 Nov 2013
My wife bought this on my account, it is well made and it was bought to hang over the passenger headrest of her new Fiat Panda, to keep her company when she is driving around. It is also cosy to wear if you have the nerve.

The Crossing. Conquering the Atlantic in the World's Toughest Rowing Race
The Crossing. Conquering the Atlantic in the World's Toughest Rowing Race
by James Cracknell
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 15 Nov 2013
I am a bit of a rowing geek, and have read books on ocean rowing before, but this is the most gripping account I have read. The book is not all about the factual account, but more about the two personalities involved and that, for me is what made it captivating. I don't want to say too much about what they did and how they did it, as that is all part of what makes the book great, but it does make for an exciting read.

New Balance Men's Black/Orange Trainer MT10BO2 10.5 UK
New Balance Men's Black/Orange Trainer MT10BO2 10.5 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly Comfortable, 15 Nov 2013
I found these to be surprisingly comfortable, you can't feel lumps and bumps through the soles, even though they are so lightweight. I imagine rough terrain or loose rocky paths might be different, but for road or flat off road they are fine. I bought these as I hoped they might cure a persistent injury, so I took it very carefully to start with, alternating between these and my usual trainers. They do give a very different feel, and will change your gait over time, but I did get stiffness to start with, and made slow progress. I would recommend them, but take your time with them and expect to go back to basics for a while if you haven't used shoes like these before.

Oar-Some: The World's First Four-Man Crew Ever to Row Any Ocean
Oar-Some: The World's First Four-Man Crew Ever to Row Any Ocean
by Jennifer Brumham
Price: 8.41

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent adventure and well executed, 15 Nov 2013
I read this avidly. Although none these guys had not done this row before the rose to the challenge and it proved to be one of the best achievements in Atlantic rowing. The book is a great account of their journeys and switches between the diary entries of each rower so you often get 4 perspectives on one event, fascinating and well written.