Profile for JayMain > Reviews

Content by JayMain

JayMain (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Underwater foraging - Freediving for food: An instructional guide to freediving, sustainable marine foraging and spearfishing
by Ian Donald

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for UK divers, 22 Nov 2014
There aren't many freediving books on the market, and this one is a bit less about the romance and freedom of diving and a bit more about the practicalities of what to do and what not to do, and about feeding yourself while you do it. If you are starting out, i would say always do a course, but this book, from a point of view of detail is enough to develop your understanding. The guide to what fish to take and what not to is very useful. Great for UK divers.

Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science and What the Ocean Tells Us About Ourselves
Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science and What the Ocean Tells Us About Ourselves
by James Nestor

5.0 out of 5 stars A really interesting read, 22 Nov 2014
As somebody who is new to freediving this year I found this book a real insight into what the freediving world is all about. I have an interest in marine ecology, so some of the stuff James Nestor gets involved in is fascinating. His views are always impartial, and though sometimes it doesn't present competitive diving in a good light, I am left to make my own judgments based on his observations. Read it in about 3 days and really enjoyed it.

5 TIER FOOD DEHYDRATOR FOOD FRUIT DRYER ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE CONTROL FREE TONG

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 22 Nov 2014
Does the job very well which is surprising as it is obviously very cheaply made, I haven't had a problem with the trays breaking and I have used it quite a few times now. The label above the dial is cheap laminated paper, and I'm not sure how accurate the temperature gauge is, but having said all that it does what I expected of it, and really quickly. So great.

Down's with the kids: The life and times of Stanley Matthew Palmer. By his Dad.
Down's with the kids: The life and times of Stanley Matthew Palmer. By his Dad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read from a real insider, 22 Nov 2014
Entertaining read from a real insider. Well worth the time and a good warts and all experience.

Andrew James Coffee, Nut and Spice Grinder - Powerful 150Watt, Stainless Steel Blades
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD - Xmas Delivery Available On Orders Placed By 22nd December

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for grinding chillies., 22 Nov 2014
Perfect, I use it for grinding spices and chillies not coffee and it is powerful, doesn't leave lumps, and has proved easy to clean. Good value.

Introduction to Wedding Photography: A Guide to Photographing the Big Day
Introduction to Wedding Photography: A Guide to Photographing the Big Day
by Lorna Yabsley

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't tackle a wedding without it., 22 Nov 2014
Aside from being a photographically appealing book (which is the minimum you would expect), this is a definitive guide to handling the big day, from the planning stage through to presenting your finished work to the happy couple and securing orders. Whilst there are sections on dealing with such things as choice of kit and tackling the photographic challenges the day may bring, it isn't really about F-stops and lenses, it is much more than that. This is a navigation guide to everything that makes wedding photographs, people skills, techniques, angles, style, things not to forget, who to photograph, what to charge, the lot in fact.
It might be easy to take a picture these days, and if you take enough you will get a few good ones. But it also easy to stuff up someone's big day with no second chance to put things right, ever. This book is a guide for anyone privileged enough to be asked to photograph a wedding, be they professional or amateur and will be the difference between doing it, and doing it well. I suspect it would also be a handy guide for the bride to be when selection a photographer, as it will give them all the right questions to ask in order to help separate the good from the bad.

Desolation Island
Desolation Island
by Patrick O'Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 15 Nov 2013
This review is from: Desolation Island (Paperback)
Of all the books I read, the Aubrey Maturin tales by Patrick O'Brian are definitely the best serial books I have come across, and of all the adventures this is my favourite. These books are painstakingly accurate accounts of what life was like on ships of the era, and although the actual adventures documented in the books are fictional, they are so closely woven into factual history that they may as well be true. Brilliant.

Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on a Bummel (Wordsworth Classics)
Three Men in a Boat & Three Men on a Bummel (Wordsworth Classics)
by Jerome K. Jerome

3.0 out of 5 stars Some of the humour is lost on me., 15 Nov 2013
I was recommended this book by a friend who read it twice and can't stop talking, or laughing about it. I have done my best with it but I just don't find it that funny. I like the way it is written and it's historical relevance, but in the end I found it a bit long drawn out and not as hilarious as others seem to find it. Maybe it is me that should be reviewed negatively!.

Osprey Adults OSS Silicone Swimming Cap / Hat , mens, ladies (Yellow)
Osprey Adults OSS Silicone Swimming Cap / Hat , mens, ladies (Yellow)
Offered by I Never Knew I Wanted That

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit tight, 15 Nov 2013
I bought the yellow one to make me more visible when swimming in the sea. It certainly does that job, my only complaint would be that it is very tight, my head is quite big, my hat size, not my ego, and it is fairly restricting, otherwise it is durable and good value.

The Busy Girl's Guide to Digital Photography
The Busy Girl's Guide to Digital Photography
by Lorna Yabsley

5.0 out of 5 stars A comprehensive book & not just for busy girls, 15 Nov 2013
My wife has this book and it has been laying around for a few days. I am quite a keen photographer myself but I learnt a lot in the first few minutes of browsing and ended up working my way through the whole book. I think everybody will learn something from this book, not just the basics of photography but a lot on how to treat your subjects, how to break the accepted rules for good effect and definitely lots of expert tips. It is a comprehensive guide that takes you right from the camera itself through to handling the digital image.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2013 6:46 PM GMT