ARRAY(0xad0de384)

Profile for Dr. Stephen Smith > Reviews

Content by Dr. Stephen Smith

Dr. Stephen Smith (Belfast, Ireland.)

1001 Books: You Must Read Before You Die (1001 Must Before You Die)
1001 Books: You Must Read Before You Die (1001 Must Before You Die)
by Peter Boxall

4.0 out of 5 stars A titillating taster of a book. A road-map for further reading., 18 May 2010
I bought this book for my daughter who is studying English A level to encourage her to broaden her reading habits.
Having said that I must admit I was personally intrigued by the whole concept of this book.
So when it arrived I was the first to lay hands on it.

I took this book on accepting it's basic premise that we all realise that there exist many fine books that we may not have read just yet.
Unless reading needs to become methodical then I find it is often quite a disorganised pastime. That indeed is part of the pleasure.

My own reading habits are often based on personal recommendation or even just what's to hand at that moment.
I believe other people's book collections and their reading recommendation are very insightful to their own personalities. So you could argue that the editor of this collection has taken on a rather brave task.

I suggest you read the book with an open mind and try to avoid too many analyses of what should/should not have been included.

On that basis I believe this book does exactly what it suggests in the title.

How to Argue and Win Every Time: At Home, at Work, in Court, Everywhere
How to Argue and Win Every Time: At Home, at Work, in Court, Everywhere
by Gerry Spence

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what it sounds like in the title., 7 Aug 2009
How to Argue and Win Every Time: At Home, at Work, in Court, Everywhere, Every Day

Don't buy this book if you just want to win every argument.
BUT Do buy this book if you want to understand when it is appropriate to argue and (if so) how to go about it in a morally justified way.
I don't trust lawyers generally but I think I would trust Gerry Spence.