Profile for Mark Heller > Reviews

Tala Apple Corer and Wedger
Tala Apple Corer and Wedger
Offered by Fly Service

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 13 Mar. 2014
I received this product in error (I had ordered the Jamie Oliver corer), but didn't realise until I had to send it back.

Never in my life have I used a product so poorly suited to its purpose - within 10 seconds of trying to use it, the device had broken into 5 separate pieces...

Eseentially, the welds attaching the cutting arms to the outer rim are incredibly weak, and shear off at the slightest pressure.

Save your money, and buy something that will last longer than 1 minute.

Revo Axis XS Touchscreen Internet/DAB/DAB+/FM Radio with Alarm Clock, iPhone/iPod Docking, Bluetooth Wireless Connectivity/Network Audio Streaming - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 11 Feb. 2014
I bought this item to replace an old Pure Evoke DAB radio. Although the Pure was fantastic, my new house has very poor DAB reception, so I needed something with internet radio.

As several people have commented, the DAB capabilities are not good at all, so I'd advise against buying it principally for that purpose. However, other than that it works really well.

Sound quality is surprisingly good for such a small unit, and it goes pretty loud - more than loud enough for a typical sized bedroom. It also looks good on the bedside cabinet.

A few minor grumbles with it:

1. As others have mentioned, the touch screen is VERY outdated compared to the capacitive screens on modern phones. I've found the best way to get it to work is to use your nail, rather than your finger.

2. Navigating around the screen can sometimes slow down to a crawl.

3. It can drop internet radio from time to time - but I eventually realised that was more down to my router, than the Revo, and since I've replaced it with an Asus RT-N66U (highly recommended) it hardly ever happens.

4. It has crashed a couple of times (in 6 months) but I just unplugged it and plugged it back in, and that sorted things.

Other than that, I'm very pleased with it.

5 Cities Lightweight Cabin Approved Hard Wearing and Light Weight Expandable Trolley Wheeled Luggage Bag (18 inch & 21 inch) (21", Black\Red)

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart, very useful and great value for money, 11 Feb. 2014
I bought this case for a complicated trip round Europe, where hold luggage was going to be a problem, and so all my belongings had to be cabin baggage.

I don't usually buy 'cheap' luggage, as I always think it is a false investment. However, with similar Samsonite cases being over £100, I reckoned even if this was a bit shabby, I could replace it 5 times for the same cost!

However, I was very pleasantly surprised... The case worked perfectly - it holds a surprising amount (although fitting in shoes is a little difficult) and has loads of useful pockets and holders.

It also looks really good, and seems very well made, so it should hold up quite well. And all for less than £20... A real bargain!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 11, 2014 5:31 PM GMT

Mastery (Plume)
Mastery (Plume)
by George Leonard

4.0 out of 5 stars Motivational, 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Mastery (Plume) (Paperback)
Very much enjoyed reading this book, and it was quite motivational. However, other than the mastery curve ('love the plateau!') I didn't feel I got a life changing amount out of it...

CUPBOARD TOWEL BAR RAIL OVER DOOR HANGER HOOK KITCHEN TOWEL BATHROOM DRAWER
CUPBOARD TOWEL BAR RAIL OVER DOOR HANGER HOOK KITCHEN TOWEL BATHROOM DRAWER
Offered by Price Drop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat Solution, 11 Feb. 2014
Works very well, and looks good... The only downside is that it has sharp metal edges, which can catch on the towel as you take it out. So if you're not careful, your towel will be shredded in weeks!

Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium
Philips HR1861 Whole Fruit Juicer - Aluminium

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Juicer, 11 Feb. 2014
I'm fairly new to juicing, and bought this model on the strength of the very positive reviews.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the juicer - it's very smart, well built, and looks good in the kitchen. It also seems to do a pretty good (but not excellent) job of extracting juice, making light work of apples, carrots, oranges etc. producing lovely tasting juice.

The downsides of the machine are that:

1. Depending on what you're juicing, an awful lot of the fruit/vegetable gets left behind as pulp... Particularly with soft fruit like strawberries, raspberries etc. you get much more pulp than juice. And even with harder items like apples, carrots, the pulp is very wet, so I think it could do a better job of getting the juice out.

2. After juicing, there's a LOT of cleaning to do! 5/6 different items to wash out - and if you don't do it straight away, you're in trouble as once dried, the residue is very hard to get off.

3. The collection jug works well, but you can't leave the juice in there for very long as it's not sealed, and so the juice goes off quite quickly. Instead, I now let the juice run straight into a container, which I then seal up. Working this way, the juice easily keeps for 2/3 days.

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this juicer, provided you're aware of the downsides. In addition to the juicer, I've also decided to buy a smoothie machine (the excellent Optimum 9400 [...]) as that gives me the option to use berries, bananas etc. and make drinks that retain the whole of the fruit.

Philips QT4090/32 Black Pro Stubble Trimmer with Turbo Vacuum and Additional Stubble Comb (Packaging Varies)
Offered by AOT (UK VAT registered)

3.0 out of 5 stars Clever but flawed..., 28 Oct. 2013
I bought this trimmer after the plastic clasp on my long-term Babyliss iStubble broke (again).

There's lots to like about the Philips - it looks great, has a very clever vacuum system (which really does work) and other clever tricks like a lock, for travelling (implemented by holding down the power button for 3 seconds).

However, there are two drawbacks that for me, make this a flawed product...

Firstly, although you can slide off the plastic cover to the blades, you can't use then use the device as a trimmer (e.g. to level up sideburns) as it has a protective plastic ridge.

But the biggest drawback is that the trimmer simply doesn't cut close enough, even on the shortest setting, which means that stubble is left too long - although I guess if that's the look you're after, then the Philips might be OK for you.

As for me, I've bitten the bullet and bought another iStubble...

iGadgitz Dual Tone Black Durable Crystal Gel Skin (TPU) Case Cover for Samsung Galaxy S3 III i9300 Android Smartphone Mobile Phone + Screen Protector
Offered by iGadgitz

5.0 out of 5 stars High quality cover for not many pennies, 28 Oct. 2013
As other reviewers have said, this is a high quality cover, that defies its cost.

It fits the phone like a glove, provides substantial protection from knocks and drops, and looks great (it actually enhances the look and feel of the phone).

The only downside is that it adds significant bulk to the phone, so it won't fit in any of my stands unless I take the cover off...

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and cheerful, 28 Oct. 2013
Not the last word in phone covers, but for the money, you really can't complain...

Fits the phone well, all the cut-outs are where you expect them to be, and it provides a decent level of protection against knocks and drops.

The only downside is that it adds a little bulk, and so needs to be removed before it will fit in my car holder (although it fits in the Kidigi desk stand without any problem).

Great value for the money.

SGS III GRIP Wave S-LINE SOFT SILICONE GEL Clear CASE for Samsung i9300 Galaxy S3 by KING OF FLASH
Offered by KING OF FLASH

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, but not so cheerful..., 28 Oct. 2013
OK, so this case is very cheap, but in all honesty, it's a false investment - the material is hard and inflexible (definitely not 'soft silicone'), it doesn't fit the phone very well, and the cut-outs don't line up properly with the phone gubbins.

Avoid.