Profile for Mike.M > Reviews

Two Brothers
by Ben Elton
Price: 9.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A good yarn but could be better., 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: Two Brothers (Hardcover)
Having read Ben Elton's book, The First Casualty, I was looking forward to Two Brothers. I found the book really gripping and read it in record time, however I have several comments to make. First, I found that he gave away much of the plot in the first few pages, this was a pity as the story would have been much more gripping if he had written the story in chronological order. Second, The story ends rather abruptly tying up the loose ends inside a few pages. I have found many writers do this giving me the impression that they have got tired of writing the book in hand and want to finish it quickly in order to set about the next project. Third, I did not check out the 'facts' given as background and assume they are correct, eg 71 Jews killed in Berlin on Kristallnacht, I would have found footnotes on such items interesting. Finally I found the language of the boys in the book unconvincing, such phrases as Blimey do just not exist in the german language, even more unacceptable are the frequent use of English swarewords, the F word was used rarely in England in those days, the german equivalent is not used at all, german swaring being rather more lavatorial. The boys are supposed to have been brought up in a household where the mother is a doctor, so crude language at that time would only really be used by the most uneducated people. If one can ignore this transgression, the book makes a very exciting story - I loved reading it but it could have been much better.

Green Flat Folding Garden Sun Lounger Reclining Chair
Green Flat Folding Garden Sun Lounger Reclining Chair

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and comfortable., 7 Jun 2014
This style of sun lounger is one of my favourites as it is light, easy to use and contrary to some more expensive products, can be used for lying on face down.

TRIXES 6 Sounds Electronic Bicycle Bell Loud Speaker Black
TRIXES 6 Sounds Electronic Bicycle Bell Loud Speaker Black
Offered by Digiflex
Price: 2.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful accessory., 7 Jun 2014
This is a fun item which I fitted on my bicycle. I have used it a lot on cycle paths in Germany and it is effective in getting a smile from pedestrians and other cyclists. (Strictly speaking it might be illegal in Germany)

Could be a bit louder!

AA Car Essentials Beam Converters
AA Car Essentials Beam Converters
Price: 4.88

1.0 out of 5 stars Beam Converters, (Not suitable for some Vectra models), 7 Jun 2014
I bought this kit while in Germany for my 2007 Vauxhall Vectra. As my vehicle needed servicing in Germany, I asked the Opel workshop to fit them correctly. I had previously fitted a pair but had been told they did not cut out glare effectively. The workshop said that they had tried fitting them in accordance with the instructions and using their beam setting equipment but that they did not work with the 'magnifying glass' type lights on the Vectra.

Lollipop Lane Unisex Baby 5 Pack Bodysuit, White, 0-3 Months
Lollipop Lane Unisex Baby 5 Pack Bodysuit, White, 0-3 Months
Offered by bikes4life limited
Price: 4.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Bicycle horn., 3 April 2014
People never seem to hear the bell but this shifts them! The item is not well assembled and can fall apart easily but a bit of glue fixes this.

COLLIE DOG WITH SHEEP LAP TRAY NICE SOFT BEAN BAG BASE
COLLIE DOG WITH SHEEP LAP TRAY NICE SOFT BEAN BAG BASE
Offered by SelectiveGoods
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable lap tray., 3 April 2014
My wife loves sheep and the picture on this is quite good. I would like more choice of pictures, perhaps the printer could also offer using your own photos?

Dogs on the Runway
Dogs on the Runway
by Roger Thyer-Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars Immigration officer's life., 3 April 2014
This review is from: Dogs on the Runway (Paperback)
Written by an ex colleague, interesting but could be better. Some of the detail does not appear correct? For State House I think Princeton House....?

Empirical Evidence
Empirical Evidence
by Wally Smith
Price: 7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Immigration adventure, 3 April 2014
This review is from: Empirical Evidence (Paperback)
Written by an ex colleague. Quite a lot of detail rings true but might upset our colleagues in Customs and SB....

Mont Blanc K3 - Easygrip Fitting Kit 3
Mont Blanc K3 - Easygrip Fitting Kit 3
Price: 15.86

2.0 out of 5 stars Cycle carrier., 3 April 2014
I bought this item as I thought the fixed brackets would be more secure than the straps supplied with my carrier. On trying to attach it to my Vauxhall Vectra estate, I found the hooks to be very shallow and dis not trust them to do the job. (I was taking them from Sussex to Austria). I think the items should have instructions as there are three different ones available and it is not clear which ones you need or even for which car. Not recommended.

Good Guide to Dog Friendly Pubs, Hotels and B&Bs: 5th Edition
Good Guide to Dog Friendly Pubs, Hotels and B&Bs: 5th Edition
by Alisdair Aird
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Where to stay with your dog, 11 Jan 2014
This book is useful to find pubs where you can go with your dog, unfortunately it covers the whole UK and will therefor give only one or two pubs in any given area. This does not mean there are no other welcoming pubs there. However it is useful if one is in a part of the country one does not know. I would prefer a more comprehensive guide of specific regions.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6