Profile for Andy > Reviews

Wrought Iron
Wrought Iron
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully wrought., 17 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Wrought Iron (Audio CD)
In all probability very few people will read this. Perhaps even fewer will understand it. This album is amazing, and I am sorry that I've waited so long to review it. We've just had our cellar dried out and made into a wonderful space for music. The first five albums played down there were the two Moulettes (a wonderful classically influenced English folk-rock band) albums, the latter two by Beach House (an extremely interesting current US West coast band) and Forever Changes by Love (maybe the most influential 1967 album). The sixth was this brilliant second album by Nancy Elizabeth, and it more than holds its own in this exalted company. It's like so much great music; quite difficult to categorise. It is influenced by the the area where I am based, teaching and making wine, the English Lake District. Two instrumental pieces indicate this: Cairns and Cat Bells. These are great, but the strength of the album is reflected by its stunning songs written and sung quietly and sensuously by Nancy to her wholly wonderful musical arrangements. I regret that I've not yet seen her live. She played to a small crowd in a local village hall a few years ago, and I only found out after a friend of mine who was privileged to be at the concert, raved about her and burnt this album for me. I immediately bought the album from Amazon, and rarely have I loved music so much. It's perhaps the best album I have heard by a female singer-songwriter and my collection includes material of this genre from Joni Mitchell to Laura Marling via Suzanne Vega. Buy it and I'd be amazed if you regret it.

Moulettes
Moulettes

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy Moulettes now., 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Moulettes (Audio CD)
I'll start by putting my cards on the table. I'm old enough to remember being with my Dad as 'we' bought the Please Please Me L.P. just after it was released in an old-fashioned (but then so trendy) record shop in Southend-on-Sea. I've had so many favourite bands in the last 50 years or so that it would take too long to relate, but these include Free, Cure, Fairport Convention, Manic Street Preachers, Neil Young/Crazy Horse... I first saw the Moulettes at the 2013 Fairport Convention Cropredy Convention, which included such greats as Alice Cooper (yes I was head-banging to School's Out when I was in the Sixth Form), 10cc, Peatbog Faeries, Mediaeval Baebes, and the Moulettes, who I had never even heard of before, blew them all off the stage. The Moulettes' first album is great. It starts with Recipe for Alchemy a massive musical statement which introduces us to the idea that their lead instruments are the cello and the bassoon, a wonderful, enormous wind instrument, (for those who are understandably unfamiliar)which when played by Ruth Skipper introduces a whole new dimension to classically influenced folk-rock. Violins, double bass and various types of percussion also provide a more than healthy accompaniment to the intelligent lyrics, beautifully sung. Track 6 'What a Way to spend a day' is a fabulously happy piece, and is followed by Track 7 (no surprises there!) 'Requiem' which I would say is probably my favourite piece ever. I'm not messing you around. I've just made sure that it's the first piece of music ever played in our newly converted cellar; it sounds awesome, in fact nearly as awesome as last night in Clitheroe when it was the final encore for the first gig of their new tour. The bassoon part is amazing, and the apocalyptic 'Four horsemen ride in the night and it's likely their arrive soon' should become a classic line in the history of music; I jest not. I'm sure it will go down just as well tonight in the second night of the tour in Milton Keynes, and I won't even hold it against the band that I was unable to obtain a ticket for this gig. Every single song on this album is worth a listen, and anyone with any serious interest in folk or rock should have no hesitation in buying this album of great original songs with amazing musical arrangements.

Vel
Vel

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Original Album, 17 May 2012
This review is from: Vel (Audio CD)
Having never heard of Susheela Raman before, I saw her and her band perform on a French TV channel, which I happened upon while channel flicking. I thought the music sounded really interesting,and the performance of it also visually appealing, so researched a bit. The album's quite difficult to describe; an exciting fusion of Western indie/rock and traditional Tamil music is my fairly superficial attempt. It contains some strong religious imagery, particularly on the last song, Cargo, and I love her pronunciation of the Old Testament prophet Ezekiel's name. Susheela Raman deserves a much wider audience than I suspect she has.