Profile for Jonathan Jacobs > Reviews

Content by Jonathan Jacobs

Jonathan Jacobs (London, United Kingdom)

Machine of Death: A collection of stories about people who know how they will die
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 15 Feb 2011
I'm not generally a big fan of short story collections, but this one is different. They're all beautifully held together by the one absurd premise - that a machine can predict the manner of your death.
I do think the price here is a bit steep, however. After downloading the sample, I realised that there is a free pdf version available. The kindle isn't great at displaying pdfs, but I found it was less of a problem for short stories!

Elfhunter: A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is. Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not even worth 0.71, 30 Jan 2011
I suppose I should have known better. Whenever the sleeve notes or reviews compare a book to Tolkien, it's almost always a bad sign. The creatures inhabiting this world are an embarrasingly direct copy of Tolkien's, with minor changes of name and attribute. The prose style - especially at the beginning when the scene is being set - is stilted and unconvincing. Gorgon as an anguished evil villain is entirely unconvincing, and I guessed his breeding very early on. The plot is very thin, and the elf/human romance particularly annoying.
I'll be deleting this one.