Profile for SJSmith > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 883

SJSmith (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Philips SatinPerfect Deluxe HP6581/03 Wet and Dry Epilator, with Skin Tautening Attachment, Shaver Head and Precision Epilator

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but I'm pleased I didn't buy it as I don't think I'll use half of the bits that come with it., 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, the last time (about 20 years ago) that I tried an epilator I cried; this was a ton different. I used the larger epilator that you can see in the picture and it was fine. Stinging but no pain and 3 weeks later there is no hair regrowth yet and I used to have to shave my legs every week in the shower. I did have to go over my legs a few times as I didn't have the angle quite right and even with the built in light I missed a few and I'd let my leg hair grow for quite some time! The difficulties I have is that I can't get any of the other heads to fit on the unit and there's no real instructions, I'm frightened that I'd break something because even with excessive force another top was not going on to the unit. I haven't tried the smaller unit yet which I guess you'd use for your arms and bikini line and I haven't used it wet. The reason for not using it wet yet is because I'm 8 months pregnant and it was no mean feat shaving my legs dry on my bed as it was lol. The tweezers seemed okay and I managed with them. Overall it really does work but I need to brave and do my big toes (sorry but yet they get hairs too) otherwise I'll have to razor my toes so that I don't forget about them.

Tefal X-Large Actifry Express Health Fryer, 1.5 kg, Black
Tefal X-Large Actifry Express Health Fryer, 1.5 kg, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I'd hoped., 15 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried chips - 3 times and not liked them much, we had to add so much salt after cooking to get some taste, so I accept I'm not having chips and I'm having little more than some slightly cooked wedge of sorts. We really can't get decent tasting chips out of it. I've tried my normal frozen chips in them as I've seen on the internet that this was possible and they don't taste the same either so it is back to the oven for frozen chips. Beyond chips I truly, for our family, can't see a use for this machine. I've looked at the sample recipes that come with the book and they are faffy, I don't want to have to cook for a few minutes then come back and add further ingredients. I've given it a 3 because as an appliance it is okay and it does mean I can have potatoes that I don't have to watch in the oven or turn but in the month I've been given to review the item I'd have expected to use it a lot more than 3 times but I simply can't face getting this beast out and waiting so long for something slightly resembling chips. It is just so loud as well, as loud as my extractor fan and louder than my dishwasher! Speaking of dishwashers, I do like that the cooking parts can go in the dishwasher. So, sadly from a family that was beyond excited to receive one of these as we'd truly been looking at them ourselves anyway we are disappointed at how little use we're going to get from it.

Oral-B Pro 2000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - Pink
Oral-B Pro 2000 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush - Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and effective, 31 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A straightforward toothbrush that is good value for money. If all you need to to clean your teeth then this is fine, if you need to be able to cater for sensitive teeth or would prefer a whitening mode you'd need to look at the other brushes in the range. I have to say I do prefer the Philips Sonicare range over the Oral-B range but for the price of this toothbrush then you'd be daft to go elsewhere when the only real difference between Philips and Oral-B for me is the level of clunkiness. I find the Sonicare ones smoother and they don't sound as loud. I've always liked timers on toothbrushes as without them I never brush for long enough. I've had 6 days out of the charge in one week and 5 in another but I'm more than happy with that. Overall a great value electric toothbrush.

No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome 2)
No Other Darkness (DI Marnie Rome 2)
by Sarah Hilary

5.0 out of 5 stars Good second novel, 15 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An enjoyable second book involving DI Marnie Rome. Easy to read and containing the same level of detail that the first one did - definitely not for the squeamish though. I don't feel you need to have read the first one though, although it always helps as you get to know the detective. Good page turner that isn't difficult to read and not too much detail that you get lost. Well worth trying not to leave too many gaps between your reading sessions.

The Ice Twins
The Ice Twins
by S. K. Tremayne

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 to 4 stars. A good modern ghost story., 15 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Ice Twins (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The setting sold the book to me and if it hadn’t been for that then I think the book would’ve been 3 stars. I began the book by loving it, I thought the idea was original and that the writing was good. By about a 100 pages some of this initial enthusiasm had waned and I was caught up in some writing that didn’t match the beginning. The extra details the reader was given randomly didn’t add to the story and just seemed a little silly but I could forgive them as the writer seemed to have such an outstanding knowledge of the area (or so it seems to me).

Essentially it is a good ghost story and I kept waiting for the psychological thriller aspect but once I’d stopped focusing on that I settled down to a great read. I began wondering if with identical twins that this story could be a possibility if anything happened to one of them and I was intrigued. Then the psychological aspect kicked in with the difficulties between the parents which continued until the end.

Overall it is a great modern ghost story, set in amazing scenery which definitely help embellish the plot.

Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black
Revlon ColorStay Eyeliner - 5 g, N1 Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't budge or smudge., 3 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My make up is always subtle; I wear tinted moisturiser, a bit of eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss during the day. On a night out I'll add eye shadow and blusher. My skin is pale so I tend to use black or brown eyeliner with black mascara and make my eyes a feature. Usually I've used a normal brown pencil that I'd have to sharpen and then smudge along the line with my finger tip to take away the harshness and as such thought this would be a good change.

The idea of no sharpening appealed to me as it meant one less item in my make up bag. You can choose how much of the pencil you want popped up from the applicator which means you don't run the risk of snapping it. So I went to open it to try it, blimey that was my first challenge. I couldn't get in to the blooming thing; took ages. Once I had done it took me a while to work out where the pencil was and I actually pulled the smudger off completely (but it went back on). When I was ready to go I applied a line expecting that the thick line I suddenly had on my eyes could be smudged away so it wouldn't look so harsh but it couldn't as it wouldn't budge. I tried the smudger and just ended up with a sore eye. Remember I'd literally just applied it and it wouldn't budge - surely it should be quite like this? I had no choice but to make my other eye have a line as thick on it.

For those who wear heavier make up this possibly won't be a problem and I've worn it for an evening since and I felt a little better about how thick the line of eyeliner was but it is still not a colour I'd use a lot. I think I'd happily try the product in brown maybe but definitely not in black again. You need industrial strength remover as well as it just wouldn't budge at the end of a day or even just after an hour or so with my normal make up remover so I was left with panda eyes the day after each time and having to use make up remover the following morning.

Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Shadow and Sparkle - 2.8 g, Metropolitan
Revlon PhotoReady Primer, Shadow and Sparkle - 2.8 g, Metropolitan
Offered by L4RGE

5.0 out of 5 stars Great combination of colours., 16 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Lovely mix of colours that I was dubious about the first time I used them as I wouldn't ordinarily put this much effort into eye shadow. However it was worthwhile as the colours were subtle but stayed in place all day. I've never used a primer so perhaps it was this addition that added to the fact the colour didn't slide. The sparkle was just right for me as I don't enjoy wearing heavy colours. Didn't run, easy to apply and lasted all day long. This is a hit for me. I particularly liked the easy numbered instructions as to how to apply the combination and in which order.

Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure
Revlon ColorBurst Lacquer Balm Stain - Demure

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lip stain, 12 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Really nice and soft on my lips, doesn't leave a colour for long even though it is a stain but it does leave my lips feeling soft for a few hours. The colour is very subtle suitable for work if you don't normally wear a lot of makeup. It didn't feel sticky or greasy to apply and tasted pleasant. The first cuppa afterwards didn't remove it either. Really liked the crayon for application and it seemed to help it go on easier. Would happily buy this in a range of colours.

Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest 80 Wipes (Pack of 4)
Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest 80 Wipes (Pack of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product but keep an eye out for bargain prices., 8 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really love these wipes but couldn't justify the cost on a regular basis from here when supermarket sell this brand and their own cheaper. They work well - today I cleaned a dining room table for 6 and place mats/coasters with 3 wipes following a meal. Lovely in the kitchen and more hygienic than cloths and sprays for a quick fix. I like them around the rings on cookers as you can use the palm of your hand more effective with these than with cloths. I can't say I particularly noticed any difference with a citrus smell. Good as an all purpose cloth for cleaning aspects of the home. We've been using these for years and will long continue.

Mighty Small
Mighty Small
by Timothy Knapman

5.0 out of 5 stars Colourful, layout represents a comic. Good superhero fun., 3 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Mighty Small (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Read through several times before reviewing with a 5½ year old. He loved the colours, he loved the fact that it was like a comic and he thought it was just the right length for a quick read rather than settling down for a while to read. Sometimes speed can be of the essence if you're in between game playing but need a little sit down. He told me the main reason he liked it was that it meant you didn't always have to be big and strong to achieve something; everyone could achieve some good even something as little as a mouse. Really nice and a pleasure to pick up. Think he's the perfect target audience.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20