Profile for SJSmith > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 905

SJSmith (UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Dettol Anti Bacterial Multi Action Power and Fresh Sparkling Lemon and Lime 72 Large Wipes (Pack of Eight)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for toys, 28 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've compared these anti-bacterial multi-action wipes against Sainsbury's anti-bacterial multi-surface wipes for my review. With Dettol you get 72 large (4p each)and with Sainsbury's you get 80 (3p each) and naturally the supermarket brand is cheaper. However I looked closer at the use of the product and Dettol is specifically suitable for toys which is good if you've got little ones as everything ends up in their mouths somehow. Dettol is suitable for use throughout the home on kitchen surfaces and appliances, bathroom fittings and toys whilst Sainsbury's is suitable for chopping boards, high chairs, changing mats, fridges, bins, kitchen and bathroom surfaces. So specific difference in terms of their use except for the toys.

I then went to the ingredients in the products to see if there was a difference that meant I couldn't use the Sainsbury's ones on toys. Sainsbury's contains less than 5% Amphoteric Surfactamt, Perfume, Disinfectant, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, 2-bromo-2-nitropropane-1,3-diol where as Dettol less than 5% Non-Ionic Surfactants, Per 100g of liquid: 0.52g of Benzalkonium Chloride Disinfectant, Perfume, Citrus Zest: PCS 94353 so therefore a different make-up (although I'm no scientist so don't know if this is significant with regards the cleaning of toys). Neither are suitable for carpets, upholstery or fabrics (that's where you need baby wipes!) although Sainsbury's don't say this on their packaging they weren't effective on a carpeted area even for a small area.

Both products smell fine, as the Dettol one is citrus zest then you do expect the lemony smell and this was apparent but not overwhelming. Then my next job was obviously the cleaning. Dettol came out of the packet in the same way the Sainsbury's one does - and over a packet the Sainsbury's brought two wipes out only once (which in other brands or cheaper alternatives is always a gripe of mine). Dettol was a little "frothier" but this didn't make the clean any better I just think psychologically you think it is working better if there's a better lather. I did find the Dettol one lasted more than the Sainsbury's wipe but only just and if it wasn't for the fact I was reviewing the product I may not have noticed and to be honest it wasn't significant enough to consider with the price difference. Both products worked well on both sides.

So overall, I really liked the Dettol product and I certainly gave it a good workout against a supermarket brand. There's a slight difference in price which may be important for some people (see the top of the review) but for me if Dettol specifically say suitable for toys then it may be worth having these in just for that purpose seeing as I didn't find that much of a difference between the use of Dettol against a supermarket brand in the kitchen or bathroom. Would definitely use again.

Pop-up Numbers: 3-D Fun with Figures
Pop-up Numbers: 3-D Fun with Figures
by Courtney Watson McCarthy

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much on each page, 4 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My son is almost 4½ and found some of the sums challenging in this book meaning we'll put it away for him for a while. Yet I worry that if I put it away for a while he might then be too old for a pop-up book. Some of the questions are quite challenging I feel such as "how many different ways can you make 15?" (for example)and I'm assuming it means with the numbers that appear on that page. However I think my son is good with numbers and this is tricky. Think it would be more suitable for a Year 1 or Year 2 child rather than reception.

There are only a few pages and on first glance the pop-ups are gorgeous but I soon realised how delicate they are when I "carefully" opened one of the pop-ups and I tore it without doing anything exciting to it! Overall then I do think the book is okay, hence the three stars but I wouldn't be happy with the price so I was pleased it was a review copy and don't expect it to last too long unless you've got a very careful younger child or a respectful older child.

Dove Real Beauty Gift Set
Dove Real Beauty Gift Set
Offered by Semichem

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely stocking filler for Christmas or an additional gift, 4 Dec 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I always like Dove products and was pleased to receive this item to review. This set is particularly good value for money for a young child looking to buy an item for a female or for an inexpensive stocking filler (for example). The item contains 2 x 250ml body wash items and then a shower puff.

The positives is that it only takes less than a tablespoon of either product to be used alongside the shower puff for a good lather (and I'm a large lady!). Both products work well with this amount. There isn't a difference in smell with the products but there is a difference in colour and texture. Colour wise it is beige/cream but texture is different depending on whether you're using the cream oil or the silk glow.

I don't feel the silk glow one lives up to its claims but the cream oil is lovely. Regardless of personal preference between the two they are both equally as nice and as expected you use less of the product when used in combination with the shower puff.

In my box the shower puff had a blue ribbon rather than gold (but that may be because mine was a review item) but this wouldn't impact on my review.

The Blood Crows (Roman Legion)
The Blood Crows (Roman Legion)
by Simon Scarrow

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Nov 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As always these are great books and this one lived up to all my expectations. You always hope as a reader that the next in a series is going to meet your expectations and this one certainly did. Looking forward to reading it again!

Kiss Me First
Kiss Me First
by Lottie Moggach

4.0 out of 5 stars compelling read, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: Kiss Me First (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A modern story for the social media times. Covers everything we need to think about in an online world where it is all to easy to hide your true identity. The excellence was not maintained throughout hence the four stars and not five. Great plot and good characters. A recommended read.

My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece
by Annabel Pitcher

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, 17 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lovely little read but it seemed to go on just a bit and I thought the addition of the talent context just a bit too much. I felt the way the dad suddenly changed his opinions towards Sunya's family a tad too convenient - however it was written from Jamie's perspective so perhaps I'm just reading too much into it.

I did have a little tear at the end - poor Jamie, however it did help with family bonding though. I think his (and Jas') understanding of the situation with the mam was interesting and I felt so sorry for the dad but wanted to give him a big shake!!

A book I'd recommend and I'm pleased to have it, 4/5.

Using Social Media in the Classroom: A Best Practice Guide
Using Social Media in the Classroom: A Best Practice Guide
by Megan Poore

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching resource, 17 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I found this an easy to read and highly accessible book that is good enough to make any level of social media expert find something useful. Okay, in places some aspects should be obvious to education professionals about internet safety but I tried to read this with different stages of readers' careers in mind; realising some of the information might come down to how long people have been teaching and how much computer experience they have as well as the types of learners they work with. Therefore this wouldn't have been a reason for me to bring it down to 4 stars.

For me, chapter 10 on bookmarking and clipping were particularly useful as they'll provide a new tool I can use instantly at work. The next two chapters on educational games and productivity tools have also provided some ideas. Reminders were present throughout all the chapters about the professionalism of the teacher and to keep checking school policies, which I thought was a good addition as not everyone would know what was and wasn't allowed to be used.

A definite keeper for me and as I've said, chapter 10 is going to be useful right away. I'm certain I would have acquired this anyway had I not been lucky to access a copy to review.

Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar for GCSE, Complete Revision & Practice
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar for GCSE, Complete Revision & Practice
by CGP Books

5.0 out of 5 stars Great teaching resource, 11 Oct 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
CGP books can always be relied upon to provide good quality teaching resources and this one's no different. Now that SP&G is appearing for marks on courses other than English it is necessary for all subject teachers to be focusing on these key skills. Good for tutor time practice or even just at home with family. For me, as a teacher, this will provide a useful core of resources for starters within lessons during Y10 and Y11. Clear instructions for the children also mean those adults working with them who aren't sure of the SP&G rules can follow along as well. A worthwhile addition to any classroom at any age.

The Son
The Son
by Michel Rostain

3.0 out of 5 stars Tedious in places, 23 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Son (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I bought this as a kindle book and also took the chance to have a review copy as well. It started well and I had high hopes for what I'd anticipated would be an unusual and potentially quite emotional read. Unusual maybe, in that it is narrated by the son who has just died but emotional - well actually this what it was lacking. I felt like the son was (and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh) quite an unlikable character. I have a friend who read this (and that's what prompted me to buy the kindle version) and raved about it talking about the sadness and tears but I was honestly relieved when I was finished it. The funeral of Lion (the son who has died) was quite grotesque to read about becoming theatrical in its portrayal. I did think the ending was good though and provided some inspiration for the readers. It isn't a story I'll be recommending and it isn't a book I'll be hanging on to. For me, it was just okay.

The Bumper Book of Kids' Birthday Cakes: Hundreds of triple-tested cake decorating ideas to make every party memorable, for boys and girls, from ... and teenagers (The Australian Women's Weekly)
by The Australian Women's Weekly

2.0 out of 5 stars Think it'll be shop bought next year, 22 Sep 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I chose this as a way to get ideas ready for when my son turns 5. Sadly there is just nothing in here that I'd enjoy making for him to have at his party, I'd rather by something from a local supermarket. Half of the designs look incredibly scary and just so old-fashioned. I'm 40 and I remember my mam making me cakes like this when I was just starting school. If, like me you're not really sure where you'd begin then I guess it is a good place to start but I would have been so disappointed if I'd bought the book instead of getting a review copy. The only good aspect is there's very little preparation to do as a high percentage of the recipes are from cake mixes and not actually having to prepare your own mix. Might be good for a play day at home, such as when I've offered my son a book day and everything is linked to one of his favourite books.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20