Profile for SJSmith > Reviews

Content by SJSmith

SJSmith (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
01: Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga)
01: Deep Blue (Waterfire Saga)
by Jennifer Donnelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Detailed description but a little slow, 22 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As reviewed by a Y8 student in my tutor group: I think this book is very detailed, so this book might be good if you like to know exactly what is happening. I thought it made the book a bit too slow for my taste. Overall though, I think it is a good book if you like the sea and its creatures, like I do. I'd consider reading the rest in the saga but I wouldn't actively seek them out. You could tell when you reading it that it was going to be part of a sage/series.

Maybelline Brow Drama Chubby 4 Dark Brown
Maybelline Brow Drama Chubby 4 Dark Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft and colourful, 19 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Love this chubby crayon and it's just like my kid's crayola crayons ha ha. Covers my brow in one sweep giving me sculpted brows that look neat and tidy with some colour. I'm very fair skinned and this is just nice - not too dark but enough that you can see it. It's soft to use. Fab!

Maybelline Baby Balm & Blush Shimmering Bronze Lip Balm
Maybelline Baby Balm & Blush Shimmering Bronze Lip Balm

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks great on my lips, 19 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The colour of this is very subtle and gives a nice sheen to my lips. Kept them hydrated and feeling nice. I didn't like the sheen on my cheeks and don't intend to use it like that again but as a balm in the bottom of my handbag it's fab. A nice shape and size to roll on both lips in one go.

200 Family Slow Cooker Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Family Slow Cooker Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Sara Lewis

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for ideas, 15 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great selection of things to do in the slow cooker - 102 different things (this includes sauces) with variations to change the recipe; if I want to swap lamb for chicken etc. The reason for 2 stars is I needed to adjust the cooking time as my food was becoming dry. I've made up 3 recipes to reheat this week. Tuna pasta bake (which I would never cook on low for 5 hours, chicken tomato and pesto hotpot on high for 6-7 hours (I wouldn't even cook a full chicken that long let alone chunks) and chicken and mango curry on low for 8-9 hours.

So I love the recipe but I've made 3 things using 2 different slow cookers and the chicken has been like cotton wool (but sauce flavours fab) and my tuna just mush.

The food to impress section looks great hence I'd like to give an extra half star. But as and when I use this section I'll have to work out if the timings are correct.

Most recipes you leave to cook but there's quite a few where you have to adjust temperature or add another step. I'd not normally mention this but as there's only 102 options 15 of these require you to do something and in some cases it's using a grill.

Overall then the book is a spot on size, gives a good variety of recipes and has very clear instructions. 2 stars because although I only tried 3 recipes they were from the kid's section and all 3 were wrong in terms of cooking time and I had unhappy kids waiting to eat. I like the recipes but I'll decide my own times and therefore not good for someone just beginning life with a slow cooker.

L'Oreal Paris Infallible Matte Max Lipstick Oops I Pink it Again 004 11g
L'Oreal Paris Infallible Matte Max Lipstick Oops I Pink it Again 004 11g

4.0 out of 5 stars Colour is bright but not garish, 14 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved the way this felt on my lips. It was like the feel of a lip pencil rather than the claggy feel you can sometimes get from a lipstick. The applicator is very good - a bit like an eyeshadow brush and it meant there were no bits on my skin around my mouth and no bleeding or need for blotting. I had to reapply because not much colour comes out initially. It doesn't last 8 hours (more like 3 at the most) unless these people didn't move breathe or drink!

Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Fryer, 1 kg - Black
Tefal ActiFry Low Fat Fryer, 1 kg - Black
Offered by Maplin_Webdeals

3.0 out of 5 stars Food sticks to the paddle, 10 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've had an ActiFry before and I wasn't too keen although it was a good product but I decided to give it another go. This time I've prepared a wider range of meals and we've used the machine to cook chicken breasts, vegetables, fish fingers, sausages, chips and chilli all with good results and no problems at all EXCEPT all the different types of food seem to stick to the centre paddle. As far as cleaning goes, the 'pan' is very easy to clean but the paddle much more difficult (can't understand why this is not non-stick like the pan). In use the machine makes a noise which gets louder as it cooks to the point where it was louder than the high spin cycle on my washing machine. After all this I would still recommend it but would get people to consider all of this plus the fact it isn't quicker than using the oven. Everything that's been cooked by the machine is flavoursome and properly cooked. The only complaints I have is the noise of the machine and the fact that food sticks to the paddle, hence the 3 stars.

Another Life
Another Life
by Keren David

4.0 out of 5 stars Beginning could be better, 10 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Another Life (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As reviewed by a Y9 girl in my tutor group: I found this book easy to read and also had the experience of what it would be like behind bars. This book definitely met my expectations and it was that good i read it within two weeks. The characters have good skills and also express how their feeling when it comes to the feelings point of view. On the other hand i thought that the I thought that the beginning of the story could be changed and there for would have made a huge impact on the story. I would have liked this even better if the story had a good ending but unfortunately wasn't as good as I thought it would be.I would definitely recommend this to my friends and family.

200 Light Gluten-free Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
200 Light Gluten-free Recipes: Hamlyn All Colour Cookbook
by Angela Dowden

4.0 out of 5 stars Sectioned into calorific content, 9 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If I was starting out as gluten free then this might be a good port of call but the back page says "more than 200" recipes but there definitely isn't "more than". The recipes are naturally gluten free anyway most of the time and when they aren't they offer a good suggestion for how to convert it. It's a nice little book with recipes sectioned by calorific content. I've only dipped into but the recipes cover a variety of dishes. Nice ideas for cold meals such as salads which could be perfect for use at work.

Struck
Struck
by Jennifer Bosworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Would love to read more, 7 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Struck (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As reviewed by a Y8 student from my tutor group: this is the best book I have ever read. It is a combination of science fiction, mystery and action and adventure. It's got everything in it, including action. Mia Price is just the type of heroine I like, she's really good and willing to die for the world. I'm a high level reader but there were still parts of the vocabulary I found difficult, so whilst it was suitable as a story for me to read it might be a little challenging for others my age. I wished the story could have been longer. It kept the momentum all the way through after starting really well.

Post-it Super Sticky Notes - Neon Rainbow - Neon Pink, Limeade, Ultra Yellow, Neon Orange - 5 Pads Per Pack - 90 Sheets Per Pad - 76 mm x 127 mm
Offered by Hellifield Office Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely colours, 5 Mar. 2016
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have a bit of a post-it obsession. These are great (although I do like the lined ones too). I use them for to-do lists; activities in the classroom and notes around the house for the family. They can be restuck several time and work well with almost all pens. These are 5 separate blocks with 2 the same colour. Durable.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20