Profile for kaizen > Reviews

Audiofly AF78M Earphones with Clear Talk Mic for Smartphones - Marque Black
Audiofly AF78M Earphones with Clear Talk Mic for Smartphones - Marque Black
Price: 141.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sound, but too pricey, 14 July 2014
Awesome sound quality - these are dual driver earphones - which means inside they have two different elements to produce the sound - a regular dynamic driver + a balanced armature...I'm no expert by any stretch but you can hear heaps of detail - the bass is nice and punchy, voices are crystal clear....and the high notes are wonderful - especially piano and string instruments. So...I can't really fault the sound at all. If I had to pick one tiny thing - it is that they do not have an open, airy sound.... which is no surprise since the design is closed and they are in ears.

The cable feel really strong and built to last, with the exception of the headphone jack - the aluminium housing has come off (not glued properly). It's looks like an easy fix, and Audiofly customer services have offered to repair so I will see what the turnaround is, otherwise will just glue myself. Not what you expect for the price though.

Fit is quite good - I can sleep with them in my ears which is nice, as they sit flush against your ear. There is a bit of cable noise and the fit is not strong enough for the gym. Also the microphone is average in terms of sound quality. So... would I buy these again? If the price was below 70, then yes - otherwise I would be tempted to see how they compare with the Sony XBA-H1 or just stick with my excellent JVC HA-FRD80 which only cost 25 and are only a little inferior in sound quality.

JVC HA-FXD80 Carbon Nanotube In-Earphone
JVC HA-FXD80 Carbon Nanotube In-Earphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Do you ears and your music a favour and grab a pair! FRD80 is almost identical and cheaper at the moment, 20 Jun 2014
Before I start, at the time of writing, the JVC FRD80 is listed on Amazon UK for only 26, and is identical to the FXD80 - except that the FRD80 have a microphone&button on the cable for answering calls / skipping music tracks.

I did quite a bit of research before buying these. I was looking also at the Sony XB90, Sony XBA-H1 and these little beauties. They all are reportedly great headphones, but the microphone on these JVCs, and the great price had me choosing these.

I'll keep it short, but basically the fit of these is good - they're smaller than I thought they would be, and also lighter than I was expecting. The silicon earbuds / tips are nice, but I'm yet to find out if replacement tips will fit, as they appear to be a tiny bit larger than other Sony/Nokia/Pioneer eartips that I have used (bigger at the end that attaches to the earphone - the sizing for your ear is normal.

Really good quality earphones overall. Better cable than I have had on other JVC earphones. I think they look the business too!

Most importantly, the sound: It's really rich sound with excellent bass delivery (not muddy or soft) - nice smooth mids and detailed high notes. I always use Adele's "Set fire to the rain" as a test track as it has a huge range of sounds. The song sounded the best I have heard in a long while, picking up on all the detail....and every nuance of Adele's fab vocals. The bass guitar is a bit recessed in that song, but that is nit picking on an otherwise excellent sound. I've tried Jazz, Pop, Progressive House, Swing Hop...and Adele - they all sound brilliant. They are a little "warm" sounding... less "analytical" than my Sennheiser PX360...but they stlil pick up all the little details and are an easy listen.

I have on order a pair of much more expensive Audiofly AF78 earphones - I'm now seriously wondering if I should have bought them!

JVC HA-FRD80-Z Micro-HD In-Ear Headphones Black
JVC HA-FRD80-Z Micro-HD In-Ear Headphones Black
Offered by ECOTRONICS
Price: 39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Do your music a favour and get some :), 20 Jun 2014
I did quite a bit of research before buying these. I was looking also at the Sony XB90, Sony XBA-H1 and these little beauties. They all are reportedly great headphones, but the microphone on these JVCs, and the great price of 26 had me choosing these.

Silicone Bike Bicycle Rear Wheel LED Flash Light White (5 LED Front + 2 LED Sides)
Offered by Liroyal
Price: 1.65

1.0 out of 5 stars Epitomises Chinese products from 1970s, 17 Jun 2014
I consider myself a fair reviewer, but this product has only nearly avoided the bin, hence it gets one star. Nice idea for the design, but the quality is awful. I know it is cheap, but I don't know why any company would bother making something this bad: I had to prize out one of the battery contacts in order to make a contact, and even then I had to fiddle around just to get the thing to switch on. Also the light unit has to be squeezed through a tiny hole in order to fit inside the silicone cover. Fiddly. Looks like it will switch off on the bike with a loose connection.

On-Guard Bulldog Combo DT-8012C Combo Shackle Lock - Black, 11.5 x 23.0 cm
On-Guard Bulldog Combo DT-8012C Combo Shackle Lock - Black, 11.5 x 23.0 cm
Price: 22.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Well made lock, but poor experience so far with the bracket to attach to frame, 2 Jun 2014
I need a strong lock, and this looks like it will deliver. Nice and bright to hopefully help deter thieving scumbags! My only criticism is the way the lock attaches to the frame: The bracket itself is pretty sturdy and just requires placing around the frame and tightening with a screwdriver. The problem is the little plastic bracket that sits at the bottom of one of the metal legs of the "U"....it swivels, and which causes the whole lock to swing out whilst riding ( I mounted it on the seat tube). Maybe if I mount it on the top tube it will not swing out.

Belkin iPhone Y Adapter Cable - 3.5mm Plug to 2-RCA Plugs - 7 Feet
Belkin iPhone Y Adapter Cable - 3.5mm Plug to 2-RCA Plugs - 7 Feet
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Long, strong and well made., 30 May 2014
Not much to say about a cable, although the quality of this one is the best I have owned. Nice length for people to plug in their mobiles (all brands, not just iphone as the title states) - when we have parties - and good sound quality.

Rexel Meteor Compact Office Auto Load Paper Stapler in Red
Rexel Meteor Compact Office Auto Load Paper Stapler in Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Traditional but it works great!, 30 May 2014
Looks a bit old hat, but works like a charm. What else is there to say?! Much better than cheap plastic alternatives.

AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)
AnySharp Global World's Best Knife Sharpener (Classic)
Price: 10.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly, easy to use - what a difference sharp knives make in the kitchen!!, 30 May 2014
Highly recommended, and much easier to use than traditional sharpening rods (or whatever they are called). Suction is strong and never faulted; which means with just a swipe or two of a blade - it is instantly sharp. It leaves a few shards of metal after you are finished sharpening - which leaves me to wonder for how long I can keep sharpening; but it has not been an issue yet. Probably nothing to worry about.

Kingston 32GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Mini Flash Drive - Cyan
Kingston 32GB USB 3.0 DataTraveler Mini Flash Drive - Cyan
Price: 9.67

4.0 out of 5 stars No complaints here - and very fast transfer rates! Worth getting USB 3.0!, 30 May 2014
I use this plugged into the back of a MyCloud network drive, so that I can easily move photos and movies onto the USB stick - to watch on my smart tv. The main selling points for me were the price, the capacity and the speed of USB 3.0 - which is very quick indeed. Nice and light. My only quibble is that the plastic end of the stick is a little soft and easily dents when you add to a keyring.

Seiko Gents Titanium Kinetic SKA495P1
Seiko Gents Titanium Kinetic SKA495P1
Offered by Nigel O'Hara
Price: 179.80

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it. Watch looks even better on the wrist, 30 May 2014
Lightweight, very tough and catches admiring glances more often than I would have thought! I'm a bit clumsy with watches, and have knocked this one against door handles and along brick walls by accident - and after 2 years of use every day, only now has it got a light scratch on the glass - but that appeared only recently and is hardly visible. It's a tough watch. Looks great, easy to read - and doesn't appear to lose time much at all. I set the time about a month ago and it's lost just under a second. My watch did start to let in condensation about a year ago, but this was dealt with very quickly and with no quibbles by Seiko here in the UK - free of charge - even though my watch came from Singapore via Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5