Profile for Paul > Reviews

Out of the Blackness
Out of the Blackness
Price: 5.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Just want to hug Noah for being Noah, 26 Dec 2013
I never cry at Lassie films but found it impossible to even see my Kindle to read this, through tears. All through Christmas.

The story is totally believable and for once I just read the story instead of becoming disappointed with the writing.

I just hate Mom and Carl, more so Carl for what Mom became. And what made Tommy into the monster he became.

Being allowed into this world of abuse and damage is a privilege. What amazing characters Aves friends are.

Tear....

Sandel
Sandel
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative of times gone by, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sandel (Kindle Edition)
A very daring novel, written with love and honesty. Merchant Ivory should definitely pick this up and make it into a beautiful film. Then again they never will. Main stream audiences are definitely not ready for this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 24, 2014 8:23 PM GMT

The World Of Normal Boys
The World Of Normal Boys
Price: 7.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely identify with the main character, 9 Nov 2013
The realisation for so many guys that they are gay, quite often means they can no longer operate within the family unit and educational system. I know so many highly intelligent gay people who were never able to complete their education and reach their full potential. The World Of Normal Boys is one journey. There must be hundreds of thousands of others who end up at the same destination.

Becoming Nancy
Becoming Nancy
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic step back in time, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Becoming Nancy (Kindle Edition)
I am the same age as the main character and empathise one hundred percent with the journey the character went on. I now live in South London, so for me, this was allvery real. A really great story. Really heart felt.

Autofellatio
Autofellatio
Price: 1.49

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit tedious if you have never heard of these bands, 6 Oct 2013
This review is from: Autofellatio (Kindle Edition)
Autofellatio started off promising much but seemed to disintegrate into a series of notes of memoirs. Despite living through the eighties at roughly the same age as the author, apart from Morrisey, I seemed to have missed most of the bands referenced. I wasn't a big Melody Maker reader, so much of the book was wasted on me. It could appeal to fans of 80's underground music, but I really didn't get it.

Complete Atopia Chronicles
Complete Atopia Chronicles

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit less of the Harry Potter tricks required I think., 8 May 2013
The idea behind this collection of stories is quite good but the plot attempting to hold the whole thing together is too weak. I had the feeling too may times that the author was creating a one paragraph back story to introduce another unlikely scenario - e.g. an American character actually happened to be English and had met with Alan Turing as she happened to be studying in Manchester as her grandmother was suffering from smoke in London (why couldn't she just be in Manchester?).

The most disappointing thing about the collection is that it really smacks of teen boy fantasies - jumping into girls bodies and fiddling around, the virtual equivalent of getting stoned, putting down whoopee cushions, cheating at surfing and other boys fantasies. More disappointing still was the single homosexual character turned out to be a real or imaginary paedophile, who was possibly potentially responsible for an attack on Atopia by the USAF.

Diaspora
Diaspora
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely clever, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Diaspora (Kindle Edition)
I must admit I did have to Google some of the quantum physics concepts a few times, but persevering I found this to be utterly brilliant. Visualisations of multi-dimensional spaces also helped. Who'd have thought I would develop empathy with a computer program but I did. I loved the personal pronouns vis, ver, vim and the evolution away from the corporeal genders. I particularly loved the moment when a character became self aware, received a security certificate and was granted citizenship. Appeals to those involved with IT security I guess. Complex, but worth reading to the end.

Body of Water (The Orcadian)
Body of Water (The Orcadian)
Price: 1.11

3.0 out of 5 stars Starts off well, 29 Dec 2011
A Body Of Water starts off promising enough but looses the plot somewhere about the middle. The novel is in two parts, the second of which takes a bit of getting used to. It seems to be a folk story with a couple of gay sex scenes thrown in. I'm not really sure of the relevance of the sexuality of the characters.