Profile for Cromlechi > Reviews

Content by Cromlechi

Cromlechi "A Reader from Wales" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
God is Not Great: The Case Against Religion
God is Not Great: The Case Against Religion
by Christopher Hitchens

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty interesting swipe at the world's great religions and its icons, 20 Oct 2007
The target is religion and its icons. No one is safe, not even Mother T., Ghandi or M. L. King. I'd always thought Buddhists pretty harmless but they get a slating too. I think Hitchens desire to depict religion as virtually always malevolent (he does concede the odd acts of goodness and courage)leaves me wondering if he loses some of the objectivity he refers to and admires in Socrates. He seems over keen to point the finger in the direction of religion and makes some connections that are slightly tenuous. Having said that I liked this book a lot and some of the anecdotes were very amusing. I agree with him on most points and think religion is rather stupid and dangerous. However, it is also ubiquitous and I have the feeling that it is part of our nature to be bad whether we do it in the name of religion or ideology. Removing religion will simply leave the door open to some new form of tyranny and I don't think he really addresses this issue convincingly enough.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 4, 2007 1:05 AM GMT

A Lizard in My Luggage: Mayfair to Mallorca in One Easy Move (Mallorca (Anna Nicholas))
by Anna Nicholas
Price: 7.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Look who's laughing now..., 15 Aug 2007
I picked this book up in Tesco's the night before travelling to Majorca on holiday, much to the amusement of my family. I had no idea what reviews it had and thought it would offer a little insight into Majorcan life while I was cooking my body at the poolside.

I absolutely loved it and couldn't put it down and was equally thrilled to discover when I returned home and read the reviews on line that I wasn't the only one!

The author did not glamorise life in Majorca. What initially appeared to be an extremely stressful existence i.e. discovering whether basics such as electricity and hot water actually worked on a daily basis, waiting 8 months for a pair of curtains that you ordered to be made and leaving your home unlocked without worry of thieves, would take some getting used to!

You get the feeling that the Majorcan people are far more content and family orientated they have learned to relax and enjoy life for what it is - the authors only worry is whether the frogs will return to the bottom of the garden!- well done.

Imperium
Imperium
by Robert Harris
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping stuff, 14 Aug 2007
This review is from: Imperium (Mass Market Paperback)
I was totally gripped from beginning to end. The final chapters had the hair on the back of my neck standing up. Absolutely stunning masterpiece that shows how a man can struggle for power against incredible odds. I loved this book, probably one of the best I've ever read. Look forward to more from Mr Harris. Ignore the poor reviews citing historical accuracy. All history and especially historical novels are interpretations, versions of the truth. What Mr Harris has done is give his version and it's a completely devastating picture of political intrigue. Mr Harris could be considered the Ellroy of Ancient Rome, but he's probably far too conscientious an historian to warrant the comparison. Whatever, he tells a brilliant story that never flags.

Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
by Haruki Murakami
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Brimming with ideas, 25 July 2007
I can't think of a book that I've read that has so many things going on. It is an overflowing pot full of ideas and sequences competing for your attention. I am still digesting the book - only finished it this morning - but it seems to me the book is about metaphor and writing. There is a world of meaning but it's fleeting and if you try to hold on to it you do so at a great cost. Ultimately, the task is futile. There is also a message about growing up and renewal - we must leave things we love behind and move on. We can carry memories with us. But memories that are held too tightly become like a weight too heavy to bear. Ultimately though this book probably defies synopsis and that is probably the point. It is about the 90% of our mind that we only glimpse through dreams or actions we can't fully understand. It defies rational explanation.

300 (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
300 (2 Disc Special Edition) [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gerard Butler
Offered by DVDBayFBA
Price: 2.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Tosh, 21 July 2007
One of the worst films I've ever seen. There are glimpses of what could have been a good film. The Spartans actually look like they are hard cases if a little over muscled. However, the film degenerates into nonsense in no time at all. It was more like Lord of the Rings than anything else. The depiction of the Persian army was hilarious, in the sense of being so bad it's funny. I agree with the reviewer who said you have to be brain dead to enjoy it.

In The Miso Soup
In The Miso Soup
by Ryu Murakami
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 2 Jan 2007
This review is from: In The Miso Soup (Paperback)
This book had me gripped from beginning to end. The protaganist is chilling and the tension builds as we learn more about him and his intentions. Very well written. Not for the sqeamish as one scene is quite horrific.

Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
Red Riding Nineteen Seventy Four (Red Riding Quartet)
by David Peace

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock and Roll, 2 Sep 2006
A completely amoral rollercoaster ride of a book that leaves you breathless. Can't wait to read the next one in the series. The book isn't perfect. It's hard to follow the plot at times and leaves you asking questions at the end. However, this it is wonderfully raw and hard hitting and it's freshness makes up for any lack of polish. There is an obvious James Ellroy influence, and that's good because James Ellroy is good and this is good. Read it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4