Profile for Vincent Creelan > Reviews

Content by Vincent Creelan

Vincent Creelan "Vincebelfast" (Newtownards N Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
A Companion To Easter Island (Guide To Rapa Nui)
A Companion To Easter Island (Guide To Rapa Nui)
by James Grant-Peterkin

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must for anyone going to Easter Island, 27 Feb. 2013
Simply a great guide, all you might want to know and more presented well, honestly and with a clear insight on the part of the author who lives on the Island.

Keep The Lights On [DVD]
Keep The Lights On [DVD]
Dvd ~ Thure Lindhardt
Offered by fat_buddha

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wee film, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Keep The Lights On [DVD] (DVD)
A strong film, with real issues that I think many people, gay or st8 can relate to. Thought the performances were very good indeed. Was it this years Brokeback Mountain..... I like both and they are entirely different... but also deal with some of the same familiar issues.

The Statues that Walked: Unraveling the Mystery of Easter Island
The Statues that Walked: Unraveling the Mystery of Easter Island
by Terry Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 27 Feb. 2013
Okay.... can be a bit academic,at times, but that was partly what I was looking. A really clear examination of all research, history and theories relating to all aspects of life on Rapa Nui...... This is the most up to date and comprehensive volume to date, easily readable and very informative. I liked the style of presentation and the flow of information in the way a range of ideas etc were examined. If you are really interested in the Island... this is a must.

Rapa Nui DVD
Rapa Nui DVD
Dvd ~ Jason Scott Lee
Offered by UK F1rst Class DVD

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting bit of fun, 27 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Rapa Nui DVD (DVD)
I am going to Easter Island so wanted to see this film. It bears little resemblance to the true story of the Island, and some of the acting is quirky at best. That said I enjoyed seeing this again, and compared to many films today, it was well made, and used the scenery of the island where it was filmed really well. Would I recommend it...hell yes.

Map of Easter Island
Map of Easter Island
by ITMB
Edition: Map

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect for my trip, 27 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Map of Easter Island (Map)
The map is exactly what I hoped it would be, excellent detail, clearly labelled and routes well defined. The item arrived in plenty of time and as described.

Readings from the Book of Exile
Readings from the Book of Exile
by Pádraig Ó Tuama

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful collection, 16 Sept. 2012
This is one of my recent purchases of poetry which stands out and has me happily re-reading. There is strong emotion, poingnant statements and reflections which will resonate whether you have/had/search for or are indifferent to faith. There is truth and laughter too. This really IS a great first collection, an honest and heartfelt sharing. I listened to the poet himself read from it last night at the launch and felt the great satisfaction of hearing it in the manner I understood when reading. This is for me how poetry should be....yes it can be cleverly worded at times and also at times simply, perfectly transparent. Buy it, read it...share it.

We the Animals
We the Animals
by Justin Torres

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendous first book, 26 April 2012
This review is from: We the Animals (Hardcover)
I like films that rely on the actors and the acting, the words and the relationships. This book in a crisp immediate way tells the story of the three, in a way that is funny and sad, true and whimsical, hard and joyous. It is one of those books you will read and not want to put it down, and then will read it again to make sure you got every piece of it and aspect of their lives. The end is the harder bit, perhaps because it is unexpected, more because it has such a ring of truth, and despair and reality.It reminds me of Steinbeck's writings in that the characters lives, and the snap shots of specific times are like beautiful insights, and yet there is a bigger story, and trial of a journey which could atke so many turns and yet you can't see which or even if it will in the end. I can only hope and trust Justin Torres gives us more of the same.

We Were Here [DVD]
We Were Here [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Weissman
Offered by fat_buddha

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: We Were Here [DVD] (DVD)
I know what I think I know about early gay liberation, the development of gay culture and community in NYC and SF and the crises that was AIDS; but this made me think again.This is a remarkable and must see story of a time, made all the more real by the commentary throughout of individuals who were there, lived it, responded to the shocking changes in their personal lives and community, and made a huge difference in their own way which carries on to this day as a testament to their courage and integrity. As a gay man , closely involved with my own Lgb@t community in N Ireland, I found myself deeply struck by the feeling that at that time 70's-80's and beyond, when liberation and freedom was being achieved, this shocking ravaging of a generation of brave, talented people living life to the full must have been absolutely bewhildering. Yet out of devestating tragedy, and loss grew networks, support and a sense of community I wish we had today. There were heroes, some of them who lost their battle, but they are not forgotten, for a while yet. This is a must see for everyone, an unforgettable film which is as much uplifting as it is deeply sorrowful.

Other Voices, Other Rooms (Penguin Modern Classics)
Other Voices, Other Rooms (Penguin Modern Classics)
by Truman Capote

4.0 out of 5 stars Read it and learn, 3 Feb. 2012
I am not a big fan of Truman Capote as a person, just as today Stephen Fry annoys the hell out of me; BUT they both can write and have a style that is interesting and holds your attention. This tale is obviously based muchly on Capotes early life, or what he might want us to believe although it wasnt until much later in his life that he addimtted this. It is intruiging, clever, full of characters all of whom are memorable and does make me want to read some of his other titles. It doesn't make me appreciate the man himself anymore, but that is a personal reflection.

Heartbeats [DVD]
Heartbeats [DVD]
Dvd ~ Xavier Dolan

5.0 out of 5 stars A treat, 3 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Heartbeats [DVD] (DVD)
This Director and actor continues to give us what we want, films based on acting, relationships and dialogue. A story is told, we are taken on a journey, fall in love with a character, unconventional as they are, and feel we have watched something a little bit special.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3