Profile for MPS > Reviews

Content by MPS

MPS "Epicure" (Gateshead, England)

Ray-Ban 4089 601/58 Black 4089 Balorama Cats Eyes Sunglasses Polarised Lens Cat
Ray-Ban 4089 601/58 Black 4089 Balorama Cats Eyes Sunglasses Polarised Lens Cat
Offered by United Shades
Price: 106.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shades, 17 Jun 2014
Very good build quality and stylish to boot. My dad absolutely adores his Baloramas. Only problem is, he won't stop quoting Harry Callahan.

Nest [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Nest [DVD] [1988] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Robert Lansing
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 13.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 17 April 2014
Great little 80s monster movie with plenty of schlock. The cast are all great, not least of all Lisa Langlois who is an absolute angel and at her sexiest in this flick. Check out her arse as she enters the cave!

The Blu-ray itself is fantastic: Picture quality's great and so is the audio. There aren't many extras, but who the hell needs them?! I often find they detract from the movie by divulging far too much info that you didn't need to know.

Buy this now! You WILL NOT be disappointed. Lisa Langlois is a babe!

These Ties
These Ties
Price: 45.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 17 April 2014
This review is from: These Ties (Audio CD)
Really nice album and very easy to listen to. Amiel's voice is gorgeous and transports you to another world. If you like Amiel then you should definitely give this a chance. Maybe she's not as commercial as some artists, but she's just as good, and her voice is second to none.

Buy this album and show your support for proper music and original artists.

Boogens [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]
Boogens [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]
Dvd ~ John Crawford
Offered by supermart_usa
Price: 15.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 17 April 2014
The Boogens is an awesome little movie, and this Bluray is superb: Audio is spot on and so is the transfer. Plus, we get to see Rebecca Balding's scrumptious little arse and bee-stings (if you like what you see, be sure to check her out in Silent Scream by picking up a copy of Scorpion Releasing's great dvd). Go on, you know you want to! ;)

Black Rain [Blu-ray] [1989]
Black Rain [Blu-ray] [1989]
Dvd ~ Michael Douglas
Price: 10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Blu-ray!, 9 April 2014
I won't write a review of the film, 'cause, let's face it, if you're thinking about buying this, you should've seen it or heard about it; and if you haven't, you could read a far more comprehensive review somewhere on the web by a far more informed authority than I. And I'm not going to write a detailed review of the Blu-ray disc either, because I'm not qualified to do so, and you could read a far more intelligible review on Blu-ray.com or High Def Digest - which I recommend you do. At this point, you're probably wondering what I am going to do. Well, I'm going to tell you that if you love Black Rain, you need this Blu-ray! This was the first ever Blu-ray I owned. I bought it from HMV many moons ago, and I wasn't disappointed by the quality. Black Rain has never looked better. The picture quality is stunning. Michael Douglas actually looks quite craggy because of all the fine detail that can be seen in his face. In the interview scene, you can actually see the fine hairs on one guy's hand and the pores on his face. This Blu-ray is reference quality and, next to my French Silent Hill Blu-ray, the best I have in my vast collection. It is simply fantastic.

As for the audio, it's perfectly fine. Probably not the best, but fine. It comes with a 5.1 and 6.1. But, unless you have a surround sound system, we'd be better off with mono or stereo, which I always find is much better and less muted.

This disc come with some great extras too. We get a very informative Ridley Scott commentary, a post production featurette, and a great two part making of documentary.

The picture quality of this Blu-ray is awesome, the audio is good, and the extras are very enjoyable. If you love Black Rain, buy this Blu-ray. I implore you!

And, in case you were wondering, it's region free.

Silent Hill Special Edition 2 discs + 1h30 Exclusif Bonus [FR IMPORT] With english audio

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!!, 17 Dec 2012
Picture quality is amazing and by far the best out of all my blu-rays. The extras are brilliant also, and very expansive.

Manhunter [Blu-ray]
Manhunter [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ William Petersen
Price: 11.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, 11 May 2012
This review is from: Manhunter [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
To put it in short... very disappointed with this Blu-ray release of Manhunter.

Perhaps it's because I'm such a huge fan of the film, or perhaps it's the fact that Optimum (the studio who released this version) aren't. I'm not an expert on these matters -- and don't pretend to be -- so I won't presume to know who is responsible for this transfer. Howevever I do know that Optimum is the studio responsible for the release of this Blu-ray.

Apparently, there have been numerous versions of Manhunter. I was unaware of this until recently, because the only version I have owned is the 2001 Momentum release, which I am going to go out on a limb and say is the definitive version. I say this not because it is the best picture quality -- not that there's anything wrong with it -- but because it is presented the way that Michael Mann intended. And what is even more infuriating and bewildering is that Dante Spinotti, the director of photography, talks about this in 'The Manhunter Look', which is included in the extras on the Blu-ray disc. Spinotti explains that certain very vibrant colours -- such as 'purple violet' -- were used in Manhunter to convey certain emotions. And, as I have said, he discusses this in the extras which are included on this disc. So it would seem that no one at Momentum has bothered to watch this documentary. I really don't understand how you can cock a film up in such a monumental way. The mind boggles.

One perfect and soul-destroying example is when Will Graham is sitting in Doctor Lecktor's room, having just handed him some files, and he looks in his cell: the camera pans along past the books and the sink, and the sink should be, as Spinotti says, 'purple violet,' but it's not! It's devoid of colour! This was an intentional decision made by the director to convey a certain emotion -- and it has been removed! These people are altering art. They are altering a very special movie that means a lot to a lot of people. I am not going to deny the fact that the picture is a lot more crisp, but that does not justify altering vital parts of the movie. However, I fear that this is not a problem particular to this Blu-ray version. For I have checked the 'Directors cut', which I am assuming is the same as the 'Director's Cut' DVD, and this is also atrocious and practically devoid of any of the deep, vibrant colours that make Manhunter such a standout piece. Therefore, I assume what has happened is Optimum have used the completely wrong source material for this transfer. They have used a deplorable version of this amazing film which, I am guessing, was also awful on DVD. So, I guess what I am saying is, it's not the Blu-ray's fault -- although I am starting to have my reservations about said format.

Unfortunately, this is not where the problems end. The version they have used -- although not the awful 'Director's cut' which I wasn't aware of until now -- has redundant scenes added and important ones omitted. Yes, you heard right, this version is not only flawed in that it is practically devoid of the colour that made Manhunter the cult classic that it is, but it is also a different version content wise. For example: the scene at around fifty minutes or so in, where Will is in a hotel room with Molly, and you see his horrific scar, has been omitted, and also the subsequent scene between the two where she asks Will if he remembers when they first met. As any fan of Manhunter who is reading this will know, that is a very poignant scene -- and they haven't included it. WHY?! The first thing that made me realise that something was amiss was the 'purple violent' sink which just does not exist in this Blu-ray version. Also, which is perfectly shown in the documentary 'The Manhunter Look', the extremely bright green glass in Dollarhyde's house; and also the 'purple dawn' -- as Spinotti states -- near the end of the film when Will Graham is escorting Reba out of Dollarhyde's house.

To sum up, this is definately NOT the definitive version of Manhunter. Until they release a blu-ray version of the 2001 Momentum DVD release, the definitive version is still the 2001 (to repeat myself) Momentum DVD release, advertised here on Amazon as 'Manhunter [DVD] [1989]'. To reiterate, the best version is the 2001 Momentum DVD. I am not going to lie and say that the picture quality is not sharper in this Blu-ray, because IT IS, but if the film itself, and the experience, is not as good, then what is the point? Who in their right mind would sacrifice substance for picture quality? I would sooner watch a grainy image (which the Momentum release is not. It's great) of a brilliant version than a glossy image of a subpar edition. I really wish I hadn't bought this version. You have been warned.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2012 8:57 PM BST