Profile for D. Jones > Reviews

Content by D. Jones

D. Jones "damijo" (Midlands, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
What Rosetta Stone Russian Won't Tell You - Learn That Language Now
What Rosetta Stone Russian Won't Tell You - Learn That Language Now
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm so glad I had the kindle version for under two quid ..., 8 July 2014
I'm so glad I had the kindle version for under two quid because I'd have gone ape to have paid over 12 quid for this.
I learnt absolutely nothing that I didn't already know, apart from his life story and his phenomenally high opinion of himself (check the website out). From what I can see, all the books under the same kind of title, are exactly the same.
Don't bother, and what's more, having read this book, I strongly suspect the "glowing" comments to be distinctly dodgy.
If I could have had my money back, I would. This is someone pocketing a lot of money from this, don't get caught.
If you want to learn Russian, infact any language, log on to livemocha or busuu and speak to native speakers at home.

The Shocking Miss Emerald
The Shocking Miss Emerald
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars foot tapping!, 27 Sep 2013
Deleted Scenes is better but this album, though likeable from the first play, does get even better the more i listen to it. I think the upbeat first two tracks "One Day" and "Coming Back as a Man" start the album off really well. I agree with a few other reviewers in that her voice isn't as powerful as the first album. Also, the lyrics booklet has a few spectacular mistakes! Overall, very good album, will probably listen to it as often as the first one!

The Rambler's Countryside Companion
The Rambler's Countryside Companion
by Ernest Mansell
Price: 8.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little book., 16 Aug 2013
Picked this up by chance, being sold cheap at a garden centre, and after reading but a short way through found it was the inspiration for the "Wayfarers Journal" which was started in the 1950's by 3 or 4 (then more) post office workers. That book is fine, fine pen and ink pictures and good calligraphy but they seem to concentrate solely on churches and their achitecture. This book however has so many merits with interesting information of history visible still and explaining things such as the "Sanctuary Laws", and many differing wayside structures including the "Parson's Posts" of Yorkshire, so called because they pointed the way to go, but never actually went that way themselves. I have relly enjoyed this book but I will comment on a historic / geographic "howler" he makes in the chapter on "Hammer Ponds". He mentions that the Iron industry started in Sussex, and the region thence was called the Black Country......OUCH!. the Black Country was at the start, and centre of the Iron making industry. It is still called the Black Country, we still speak the Saxon Tongue, we are very proud of our history, and we are to the West of Birmingham, not Sussex. Try Dudley, Walsall, West Bromwich, and surrounding area.

Introduction to Old English
Introduction to Old English
by Peter S. Baker
Price: 24.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Try another author., 15 Aug 2013
I arrived here after reading his piece about the Ancient Britons and the arrival by invitation of the Anglo Saxons, or as he said, the "Cowardice" of the Britons, at the time when we were being overseen by the Emporer "Martian".........er???!!.
Well, as an academic, maybe he wouldn't like being corrected, but then maybe he should check his work before submitting it. The name was "Marcian", an Emperor, not a little green man, and before calling a race of people "cowards", one might look no further than our recent history, led by his nation, "You are either with us, or against us", to the continuing debacles in Iraq, Afghanistan and possibly the same outcome in Iran if it happens, ie, from....... "Shock and Awe", to, "We'll be leaving quietly in 2014". Whether then or now Mr BAKER, the British have a chequered history, but we are not cowards, and never have been.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2013 11:07 AM GMT

Carpentry and Joinery NVQ Level 2
Carpentry and Joinery NVQ Level 2

1.0 out of 5 stars not for DIY'ers, 22 July 2013
Got this book from the library, to try it first as I have had let downs by other peoples rave reviews.
Yes, I admit this is a course book to prepare people for an NVQ in Carpentry and Joinery, but teaching you the basics, ie, dovetail joints, good informative pictures of router techniques, building cupboards, kitchen units, garden furniture, various interesting and useful projects IT IS NOT.
I don't need to learn to put a new roof on just yet, which is about the most in depth it goes on anything, so, if you are doing NVQ, then best of luck, but if you want an informative guide to doing projects around the home and garden, this isn't it.

Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K.622 - 2. Adagio
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A, K.622 - 2. Adagio
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart's Clarinet Concerto, The Adagio., 6 Jun 2013
One of the very top, most beautifully crafted pieces of Classical Music that will ever be produced.
Calming, gently thought provoking, it creates a brainwave in you labelled, "peace".
If I were rushing through a City or Town, alike the hordes of people jostling each other on footpaths or shopping areas, each rushing on with determination, mentally hearing that tick of the clock, the phone calls, the days appointments, the meetings, the..............................................................................................................................................................
...........................................................ssshhh,.......... someones playing the Clarinet Concerto
..........................................................................................................................................................................................

Nokia C5-00 warm grey (5 MP) SIM free mobile phone
Nokia C5-00 warm grey (5 MP) SIM free mobile phone
Offered by In2digital
Price: 129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nokia C5, 29 Jan 2013
I upgraded my previous C5 at my contractual phone shop, and was told that "touch screen" is all the rage, people were doing it at parties, up telegraph poles and potholing in stereo, I lasted just over a week, it did my head in, and there are times in my life when pure logic and comfort overcomes prissy technology and this was it.
The C5 has everything I need, it has a good camera and video, satnav, voice recorder, gives your co ordinates incase you need help and you are in the middle of nowhere, it enables multiple email addresses and I nearly forgot, you can also make phone calls with it..... ALL AT THE TOUCH OF A BUTTON, it is my phone of choice where I can press the correct button and get the correct entry every time, rather than spinning right past it and stubbing your finger on the wrong one, several times. Quote me happy!, the only downside with this particular handset, was that it was Polish, and texting is a bind as they use more letters than us and voicemail notification is in polish, ....I was not informed of this when I purchased, don't make the same mistake.

Physiology
Physiology
by Peter Abrahams

5.0 out of 5 stars Physiology, 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Physiology (Paperback)
An excellent book, very thorough, easy to understand and inspiring to read and learn from. The diagrams are excellent. I have other books on anatomy and physiology but they are not for beginners or enthusiastic amateurs like me, but this one has helped me, by it's basic and easy to understand way, to take one the other books I have with more confidence.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessable, 29 Jan 2013
A lovely book, i read the seperate 2 books many years ago so it was good to have them handy as one this time. An interesting book by two people much loved in the field and who inspired my love of nature a long time ago.Their other book in the same vein "What Witches Do" could have been incorporated in as well to expand the day to day info even more.

Witchcraft: A Tradition Renewed
Witchcraft: A Tradition Renewed
by Doreen Valiente

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 29 Jan 2013
An interesting overview of witchcraft without some of the airy-fairy stuff. He gives you a good overview of witchcraft and the basis of the belief system without telling you what you must believe, instead that you can interpret and practice your own love of nature in a way that suits you and that a book like his is there as a guide and a step in the right direction.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3