Profile for As C. Hughes > Reviews

Content by As C. Hughes

As C. Hughes "witchety witch" (Kent, England)

Meet You There
Meet You There
Price: 12.14

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful revelation, 28 May 2007
This review is from: Meet You There (Audio CD)
I wanted to hear more of this group after having bought the Big Session CD - but I wasn't prepared for the utter enchantment as I listened to it. This is for me one of those serendipitous moments when you stumble across something amazing. The rhythms are infectious and the music irresistible, but the words bowled me over with a direct and immediate impact that you usually only get from poems. There are songs of social and global anxiety and songs of deep and personal emotions but this is not a depressing album - quite the opposite. It's vibrant and alive and utterly enthralling. Don't be put off if you think you won't enjoy 'folk music' - this is something of quite a different order from the stereotypes most people have. My acid test of a new CD is how soon I want to hear it again...having heard it once I just want to play it again straightaway - so excuse me while I dash off and enjoy the magic all over again.

We Are The Pipettes
We Are The Pipettes
Price: 8.12

4.0 out of 5 stars summer, sun and sand in your sandwiches, 1 Aug 2006
This review is from: We Are The Pipettes (Audio CD)
If you want meaningful, soul searching, thoughtful music then go and buy Ray Lamontagne's Trouble which is a wonderful album. If you want fun summer music then it's the Pipettes - equally wonderful! 'Pull Shapes' grabbed me too - thank you, Terry Wogan - and I couldn't rest until I'd got the album. I think I could take the challenge of being their oldest fan too but this CD takes me all the way back to the very late 50's/early 60's - the days of the Shangri Las, Ronettes, Crystals - all that fun music that conjures up fairgrounds on a summer night with the smell of hot dogs, onions and hot oil leaking from the (possibly lethal) rides. Or perhaps lying on the beach eyeing up the talent - or just hanging round outside the offy waiting for something magic to happen. It's fun music, off centre lyrics, and cracks along at a pace guaranteed to have you playing it blaring and driving along with all windows open - and in my case pretending I'm seventeen again. Don't look for deep meanings, just lie back and enjoy it.....the best summer rock for a very long time.