Profile for G. Frew > Reviews

Content by G. Frew

G. Frew "midsomerjambo" (UK)

Crossover: A concoction of fact, fiction and fantasy
Crossover: A concoction of fact, fiction and fantasy

1.0 out of 5 stars Seemed like a good idea at the time..., 21 Oct. 2014
I initially thought this book had possibilities but having got about half way through, I'm coming to the conclusion that the rest of my life is worth more than the time it would take to finish it. It is in serious need of a competent proof reader and, more particularly, an editor. The punctuation errors drive me nuts but, worse than that is the rambling , repetitious and disjointed narrative. I'm all for flashbacks and flashforwards but once a time is enough. The historical inaccuracies annoy - for example the author talks about the Holy Roman Empire as the corporate successor to the Roman Empire - no it wasn't (well, not in any more than name). It got to the stage where I was looking for errors and I got ticked off by the numerous references to the MAYBURY junction in Edinburgh as Mayberry, OK trivial I know, but I'm a native of Edinburgh. I think this could be a really good read if it had the benefit of a good editor but as it stands, it seems to me an object lesson in why self-publication is a double-edged sword. If it was actually edited then I'd suggest the author looks into the possibility of a somewhat more critical and objective editor.

The Room Two (Kindle Tablet Edition)
The Room Two (Kindle Tablet Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressed, 11 April 2014
I'm not a huge game fan but the combination of suspense, intrigue and the brilliant graphics did it for me. Well done Fireproof!