Profile for bob > Reviews

Your Inner Fish: The amazing discovery of our 375-million-year-old ancestor
Your Inner Fish: The amazing discovery of our 375-million-year-old ancestor
by Neil Shubin

4.0 out of 5 stars The story of bones, 2 Aug 2013
How we share internal bits with all living things: a fun and interesting journey through the physical anthropology of living things. The magnificent diversity of nature, and how evolution may alter a form, but not always a function. Or sometimes alter function, but minuscule changes in form.

Naming Nature: The Clash Between Instinct and Science
Naming Nature: The Clash Between Instinct and Science
by Carol Yoon

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural philosopy, 2 Aug 2013
Carol Yoon have written a delightful book about how we relate to the world around us. Or how we _do not_ relate to it. Science goes in a direction that clashes with some primeval ability we seem to have buildt-in. From a sharp scientific background, it it delightful to follow Yoon as she seems to rediscover the childlike joy and wonder at the natural world.

The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
The Great War for Civilisation: The Conquest of the Middle East
by Robert Fisk

5.0 out of 5 stars Robert Fisk - none better, 2 Aug 2013
Clear, sharp, compassionate and engaging. Robert Fisk knows his stuff, and I would say he is the go-to source on European and Middle Eastern history.

Cartographies of Time
Cartographies of Time
by Daniel Rosenberg

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!, 23 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cartographies of Time (Paperback)
this is a splendid book - delightful, insightful, fun and educational. I use it in my uni research, and i think this spans so many fields, it should be included in many courses.

Atonement
Atonement
by Ian McEwan

1.0 out of 5 stars atonement - disapponting to the end, 27 July 2008
This review is from: Atonement (Paperback)
It was hugely disappointing. It is NOT "smouldering with slow-burning menace". It rambles on and on, prattling endlessly, and trying to save the whole thing at the end, as being the manuscript of that annoying little brat now doddering old fool.

The basic story is simple enough, and this story could have been effectively told in a hundred pages. 372 is a major waste of paper, space and my patience.

The figures are flat and two-dimentional, the language pretentious and the aim way over the authors' abillities, it seems.
There is a real possibillity that the film will be ok, simply because the book was awful.

Atlas Shrugged
Atlas Shrugged
by Ayn Rand

1.0 out of 5 stars drivel-, 22 Aug 2006
This review is from: Atlas Shrugged (Paperback)
This book is pure nonsense and laughable drivel. Badly written, wafer-thin story, crap plot.

I wouldn't spend the energy rewiewing this, if it wasn't for all the misguided ejits that rate it highly- there should be a counter.

To echo another reviewer- avoid it now, thank me later.

It's the bigges pile of rubbish I've ever read, regardless of genre.

If the Amazon rating-system would allow me, I'd give it negative star rating.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 6:51 PM BST