Profile for Robert Long > Reviews

Content by Robert Long

Robert Long (Surrey, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Joanna Lumley in the Land of the Northern Lights [DVD]
Joanna Lumley in the Land of the Northern Lights [DVD]
Dvd ~ Joanna Lumley

5.0 out of 5 stars The Northern Lights, not on Blu-ray?, 12 Jan 2014
I want to buy a Blu-ray version of this wonderful documentary as it is about the best photography you will get, and yet its not available in blu-ray format. I recorded this programme twice now on my rented cable TV's hard drive but lost it when I upgraded their box on 2 occasions. I have lost count how many times I have watched this fascinating programme, but it wouldn't be the same watching it on ordinary dvd as the previous recordings were in full HD. Joanna Lumley in the Land of the Northern Lights [DVD]

Am-Tech 8L Pressure Sprayer
Am-Tech 8L Pressure Sprayer
Offered by Vinsani (UK Seller)

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware!!, 30 July 2013
I purchased this item to take with me to Norway as we have a large garden there and a gravel drive.
Having packed it very carefully I was pleased that upon arrival it wasn't damaged!!
I eagerly started using it to kill the weeds on the gravel path and managed to fill it twice with 6 litres instead of the maximum 8 litres.....
When I started using it I noticed that the pumping handle was hollow inside rather than being solid, but then I thought it seemed to work quite well, until the 3rd fill when something inside the pumping mechanism broke. When I unscrewed the handle I saw that at the bottom of the tube 2 pieces of hard plastic had broken off and was in no way repairable!
I could not be bothered to pack it all up again when I returned to the UK, so it is now in the recycling dump where we live in Norway.
No I won't be buying another one, I purely bought it because of its large capacity, but then it was cheap and you only get what you pay for.
Just beware that it can (like in my case) break quite easy. Sorry, only 1 star....

Flymo Turbo 400 1500W Electric Hover Lawn Mower
Flymo Turbo 400 1500W Electric Hover Lawn Mower
Offered by Platinum Home and Garden

1.0 out of 5 stars Does not Hover like my old Flymo E-400, 24 April 2013
I replaced my worn out Flymo E-400 with this one.....
Its early days yet, but using it for the first time and the first cut this year it was very difficult to manoeuvre over my slightly bumpy lawn.
My lawn is only 45 square feet and slopes at one end. My other Flymo hover mowers over the years gave me no problems at all, but halfway through cutting my lawn with this mower I had to take a break!
The mower came fitted with one plastic 'height' ring above the blade, so it wasn't exactly on the highest setting, but nevertheless it was difficult to push and seemed to lack the gliding ability which they are designed for.
When inspecting this mower I noticed that when turned upside down this model seems quite deep from the base to the top of the mower above the blade, so perhaps the 'hover' didn't work as well as my other mowers which seemed to glide better on a cushion of air.
I will use it several times more before I will give an update on this review, but for the moment I will give it 1 star as I'm somewhat disappointed!
Update: If you read the review of DIY-Man (18th May 2012) He has the same problems with this mower!
Update 30th June 2013
I am still having the same problem, the hover is pretty much useless! Yes it will work on a perfectly flat lawn, but my lawn is a little bumpy, plus it has stepping stones. As soon as this Flymo goes over them it loses the air pocket underneath and it really needs a push to get going again. My other Flymo mowers over the years didn't have that problem.
I suffer with sciatica and pushing this lawnmower is no joke! Sorry Flymo, but I can't give you more than 1 star. Why is it when a previous model sells well, manufacturers always seem to change it for a better model, and usually its worse.....If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor
Philips HR7761/01 Viva Food Processor

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips food processor, 4 Dec 2012
I have currently given this item a 1 star as I've not used the product yet.
The reason I gave it this rating is because of the instruction manual which is appalling.
It is a large printed sheet (folded) with miniature letters in English, Chinese, Hindu, Malay etc....
Why on earth does Philips do that? Why not include a PROPER manual like other products?
Most of the items we purchase are made in China, so why can't they include a more useful manual in the language of the country they sell it in?
Ikea also produces goods for most countries, but their manuals are fairly clear (even if they are without words) but their images are easy to understand.
Come on Philips, you can do better!!
Update August 2013.
I have given this product 4 stars now as both my girlfriend and I have used the processor many times. It would have been 5 stars had it not been for the crap manual.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 13, 2014 2:06 PM GMT

De'Longhi DNC65 Compressor Free Compact Dehumidifier
De'Longhi DNC65 Compressor Free Compact Dehumidifier

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent de-humidifier, 30 Oct 2012
Bought this product for use in a damp cellar in Norway.....This de-humidifier costs around £333 over there, (special offer would you believe)!
A lot of houses in Norway have cellars, and ours was built ca.1939...The cellar is huge and prone to moisture, and the humidity reading is approx 91% (normal reading should be around 55%)
I have been using this for about one month now, and I can honestly say that this is a great product. Its lightweight, therefore easy to move around and can easily be plumbed in permanently.
Not knowing how much electricity it would use I put it on "minimum" and run it for an 8 hour cycle at a time. This fills up the container with excess water to max and has brought the moisture level in our cellar down to 54%. It also warms up the room slightly with the processed air coming from the "swinging" vents...(a must with sub zero temperatures outside)
Before I took it to Norway, I decided to use it here in the UK just to make sure it wasn't damaged and worked properly. I put it in my damp utility room which is of average size and put the setting on "auto". In less than half an hour the humidity level dropped by more than 10%!
Its early days yet, but so far it is faultless and a sound investment.
Although this being my first humidifier, I would definitely recommend this great product.

*Note: One slight disappointment is that if you use this unit with a time switch, it wont work as the On/Off button has to be pressed again once power has been disrupted, and you will also lose your preferred settings. If you use the preset 2-4-8 hour settings, then the unit will switch off automatically, and revert back to the settings you previously entered once the power button is pressed again.

**Update: 29th of November 2012. Two months on and the unit still works perfectly in Norway. I'm so impressed that i have now purchased one for use here in the UK. Don't hesitate, treat yourself and buy one!!

Eminent Dummy Surveillance Camera
Eminent Dummy Surveillance Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Security camera, 28 Aug 2012
Good product to deter the would be thief! The attached cable could be a little longer though. Will buy a couple more.

Røta - Hellbillies' Beste
Røta - Hellbillies' Beste

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album!, 12 Jan 2011
If you're a good band, then there's no need to prove yourself by singing in English....
This Norwegian Group are really good and would put some American Country Rock bands in the shade! This is a great album sang in Norwegian, and one of the songs 'Sur Som Rognebær' I have the original by "The Marshall Tucker Band" released in 1972.

Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation
Apple iPod classic 160GB - Silver - 6th Generation

4.0 out of 5 stars iPod....didn't arrive!!, 12 Jan 2011
Hi, ordered this iPod at the end of November 2010 but it never arrived! Saying that, you credited my account within a couple of days which was nice :)
Kind regards, Bob Long

KitSound BoomDock Docking Station Compatible with iPhone 3G, 3Gs, 4, 4S, iPod Nano 6th Gen and iPod Touch 4th Gen - Black
Offered by TotallyGadgets

4.0 out of 5 stars Great piece of kit!!, 20 July 2010
OK...Where do I start? I will give the 'for' first...followed by the 'against'.
For the past 3 years I've had the white Xtrememac Tango MP3 player, which unfortunately has been discontinued (see my review back in 2007/2008).
I like the remote control as you can access "ALL" the functions on your iPod (couldn't do that with the Tango), and the sound is really good...plenty of undistorted bass, mid-range and high tones.
The unit is well built and in a glossy piano black finish (not so good if you hate to see dust). Like the Xtrememac Tango, this unit will quite easily replace any seperates of Hi-Fi if you need to de-clutter. This dock has an FM radio with station presets etc. and there's also a digital clock which displays where you're at, including the time etc.... So far the unit has been playing well, and would recommend buying this, even if it isn't a household name!
Now for the against.... At the back of the unit there are ventilation fins because this piece of kit produces a lot of heat, even on standby!!!!
If you're not concerned about the environment, then don't bother to read on, but if you are, then continue.....If you decide to turn off the unit completely from the electrical socket, then you will have no heat, but you will lose the clock and also any presets as there is no back up battery. As for me I'm not too bothered about the clock and the FM radio as I use it just for my iPod.....
One good thing is that once switched back on again, the clock doesn't flash continuously begging you to reset it!!!! So, I just switch it off at the socket every time I'm finished with it.
Go on treat yourself, its a great piece of kit for the money and you won't be disappointed!! Happy listening.
** Because this dock is so easily moved from one room to another, its makes it an even stronger case to have a back-up battery....otherwise you will be forever resetting the clock and radio presets!!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2010 3:52 PM BST

Logic3 i-Station Traveller - Portable Speakers For MP3 & iPod - Black
Logic3 i-Station Traveller - Portable Speakers For MP3 & iPod - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars An exellent buy for your musical travel needs!, 24 Feb 2010
An excellent piece of kit that is easily stored away in your suitcase or hand luggage during your travels. I had a panic though as the unit did not work upon arrival, and with only 3 days to go before my holiday I wouldn't have got a replacement in time if I hadn't found what caused the problem. The supplied batteries were faulty, and were completely flat!! I replaced them with new ones, and hey presto, we're in business!!
Saying that, I will still give it 5-stars! One thing to bear in mind is that it's designed mainly for your travels, but you can play it virtually anywhere. I would recommend that you set the EQ setting on your iPod to "Bass Booster" (if it has this setting on your iPod). This will increase the quality of the speakers no end. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of such small speakers!
Well Happy!!!