Profile for C. Randell > Reviews

Content by C. Randell

C. Randell "Caro's Lines" (Bristol, UK)

Roundography
Roundography
by Lucy Martin
Price: 18.75

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole view, 2 Sep 2012
This review is from: Roundography (Paperback)
Lucy has published most of these images on the web but its a delight to have a copy of the book in my hands and to read about the process.

These are stereographic projections done with an artist's eye, not just a mechanical one!

The Dream Oracle: Using the Alphabet Dream Code
The Dream Oracle: Using the Alphabet Dream Code
by David F. Melbourne
Price: 6.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Dreams that really do mean something!, 17 Aug 2010
The main idea of the dream oracle is to give you a system that makes it easier for your dreams to communicate with you. You effectively program yourself to associate specific concepts with certain letters. Then if your dream is attempting to give you a message about one of those concepts it can do so by presenting memorable images that echo with that letter throughout the dream.

Each letter of the alphabet is associated with a given concept, for instance H = Hope, J = Joy, Y = Yesterday.

The book gives you both a brief description and a much longer thought-provoking section on each concept. Having familiarised yourself with the letters and read at least the brief descriptions you then go to sleep asking your dreams to use this method to communicate with you. Part of that is also asking yourself to recall the dream on waking.

So if you have a dream with yellow yetis in yachts then the letter Y is indicated and looking it up in the book reminds you that this is about Yesterday, either yesterday itself or some time in the past.

In the brief section there are suggestions such as:

* are you dwelling too much in the past?
* are you in a situation similar to one from the past, and about to make the same mistakes?

The longer sections expands on these and includes other suggestions too.

It is always up to you to decide whether any of the suggestions ring true. If they don't then simply keep the general concept in mind and let the meaning come to you.

One way to actively use the system is to go to bed with a specific issue in mind then to wake up and interpret any dream letters in the context of your issue.

For example, if you are wondering about taking up an invitation to go out with someone new and Y comes up you may well wonder whether you are about to repeat a common relationship pattern from your past.

I've had this book for over five years and although I do not use the system continuously it is one that I like to come back to now and again. And if my unconscious really wants to get a message through to me that falls into one of the given categories it can do it by making the dream very memorable and full of letter repetitions, even if I'm not consciously "using the system" that night then the fact that my dream was full of happy hippos on holiday in Hawaii with huge hats on is quite likely to make me realise H has been indicated and that I need to consider what role Hope currently has in my life.

Zebu Hypnotic Language Card Game
Zebu Hypnotic Language Card Game

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money - buy Salad instead!, 10 Sep 2009
There is no point paying the high prices asked here.
Buy the Salad version instead.Ericksonian Hypnosis Cards

Fluxx
Fluxx
Price: 11.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun game that stretches your brain!, 31 Aug 2009
This review is from: Fluxx (Toy)
We've owned a copy of Fluxx for over 6 years - we have enjoyed it so much that we've bought it for friends and family. We've also tried some of the other variations: Eco-Fluxx, Family Fluxx, Stoner Fuxx and Monty Python Fluxx

Fluxx itself is the best - Eco-Fluxx the only other version we've kept.

We've mostly played it as a couple - its one of the few card games that is fun for two - but also with other adults and occasionally nephews (age 10+) - the nephews liked it so much they got copies for themselves soon after.

Each game starts with everyone having three cards - but after that every game is different because some of the cards are rule cards and change what one can do, or how to win, as they are played.

The game length is very variable; some rounds are over in a trifle, but generally it lasts around 10 minutes, and occasionally rather longer. Usually longer games happen when someone hasn't noticed that they could win... but then maybe they are enjoying playing so much that they do't want to stop the round by winning it.

The No Diet Diet: Do Something Different
The No Diet Diet: Do Something Different
by Ben Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Try it before you say it can't work!, 30 Dec 2008
4 months ago I bought this book.

I've followed its advice and am now 22 pounds lighter than I was then and still steadily, gently losing weight.

Before this book I'd got to the point where I just couldn't shift any weight even with diets that had previously helped.

The only warning I'd give you is - be prepared to buy new pairs of trousers - all your old ones will end up falling off!

Wild Women: Great Textile Brooches (Twenty to Make)
Wild Women: Great Textile Brooches (Twenty to Make)
by Sarah Lawrence
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing wildness, 16 Nov 2008
I'd hoped that this book would help me to make these brooches from scratch not simply assemble them from ready-made pieces.

For instance I'd hoped that it would tell me how to make the faces required, not simply tell me to buy them.

If you are happy to buy the bits necessary then this book is for you; if you were hoping to have instructions on how to make the faces, hands, etc. then it is not.

Star+gate: Keys to the Kingdom
Star+gate: Keys to the Kingdom
by Richard H. Geer
Price: 4.75

3.0 out of 5 stars This is just the book!, 8 Nov 2008
I bought this thinking that this item included the cards etc. needed to do the readings.

It does not.

This is just the book that explains how to use the cards.

It is no use without them.

Art Escapes: Daily Exercises and Inspirations for Discovering Greater Creativity and Artistic Confidence
by Dory Kanter
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational AND Practical, 8 Nov 2006
One of the first things this book suggests is how to help yourself be more portable - it gives explicit directions on how to make your own portfolio (to hold sketchbook, palette, etc). Plus 3 different tool kits (drawing, collage and watercolour). The idea is simple and so useful.

I love the fact that this book is spiral bound - this allows the pages to be laid flat whilst referring to the book - useful when making up the above project for instance.

I've very drawn to the artist's paintings - if you like the cover of the book for once that is a reasonable guide.

There are also many ideas for what to do in your sketchbook - she suggests just opening the book and having a go at one of her exercises.

Make making art everyday a habit, even if its just 30 minutes a day.

Creative Cloth Doll Making
Creative Cloth Doll Making
by Patti Cuela

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolls for grown-ups!, 5 Jun 2006
As a child I'd never really been into dolls, but I have always liked making things. When I came across this book and looked through it I knew that though dolls "weren't me" making them might be!

I made the first doll according to the instructions and she came out very well. I'd post a picture here if I could - I'm very pleased with her! I am now tackling another.

The book covers all the basics of making a cloth doll in enough detail to get you started and with plenty of suggestions to inspire your creativity to go beyond the instructions and on to make something unique.

This book gives three patterns with increasing complexity so you start making a doll with shapely legs but move on to jointed legs. Similarly the torsos become more complex and gain breasts, the hands go from simple closed fingers to separate, wired, fingers. The experienced doll maker can dive right in and mix and match the pieces they want from each pattern whilst the beginner can steadily increase skill with each one.

Another great feature of the book is seeing how other makers have worked with the given patterns.

Patti Medaris Cuela does give classes in the UK so having enjoyed the book I may now go and meet the teacher.