Profile for P. Worrall > Reviews

Content by P. Worrall

P. Worrall "Pete Worrall" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
A Different Kind Of Truth
A Different Kind Of Truth

5.0 out of 5 stars Where has this come from?, 14 Feb. 2012
I was a big Van Halen fan back in the day, drifting off at OU812 into other musical genres. Too be honest, I wasn't holding on to much hope for this album after everything the band have been through. Plus, their lead video, Tattoo was...well, I thought it was very average and uninspired. If you're like me in this respect then buy this album now as Tattoo isn't really a good representation of the album. I would say crossing 1984 with Women and Children First is a good place to start. This album is exciting, thrilling and has an attitude not found in the band for quite a long time. I was stunned at the quality of songs and energy on here. Give it a spin and you may be surprised to hear what Van Halen have wrenched from within themselves.

Lulu (Amazon Exclusive Slipcase Edition)
Lulu (Amazon Exclusive Slipcase Edition)
Offered by DLC_Music

1.0 out of 5 stars Please Try Before You Buy, 31 Oct. 2011
This is like a school band that only knows 9 riffs, being hijacked by one of the member's drunken dads whilst they are rehearsing and then will not get off the mic for an hour and a half.

Lulu is unpleasant poetry talked out of key over a plethora of uninspired, repetitive riffs all mixed into badly produced and over long songs. If a new band came up with this album would we let them get away with it? No, we wouldn't and neither should we let Metallica and Lou Reed. The quality control has been lost in the both camps.

The huge negative response to this album isn't unwarranted, it deserves it and hopefully it will send a message to the creators of this travesty to rethink their output in future. I doubt it somehow because those who think Metallica can do no wrong will buy it, say they `get it', and then probably get excited once more when Metallica put out an album of silence as a follow up (actually, I'd buy that over this).

Lulu is definitely an example of the `try before you buy' argument.

Th1rt3en
Th1rt3en

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Belter From Megadeth, 31 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Th1rt3en (Audio CD)
I was a little worried about this album after hearing it had been thrown together and contained 4 rehashed songs. I needn't have been because this album is modern Megadeth on top form. The production is not as crisp or as clear but has all the power and raw energy the songs need. It was a good move as the bass drum really thumps through and the guitars are fatter in sound. The rehashed songs are excellent and suit the flow and feel of the album. I personally would have opened the album with Never Dead with FastLane second but that's just personal taste. Megadeth have delivered (again), it's as simple as that.

Back Through Time
Back Through Time
Offered by EliteDigital UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Ahoy There Fancy Pants, 12 July 2011
This review is from: Back Through Time (Audio CD)
More pirate shenanigans from Alestorm and, quite frankly, I wouldn't want it any other way. Their albums are fun, tuneful and packed with great riffs and ideas, this is no different. Alestorm and great at what they do, why change? If you like their other releases then you'll like this one. If you're expecting Alestorm to sail into fresh waters then forget it. After having this album for a couple of weeks I would rate BSAM 1 notch higher, but that's just personal taste and reason for the 4 stars.

Doctor Who  Series 6 - Part 1 [DVD]
Doctor Who Series 6 - Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars A must buy, 12 Jun. 2011
This is a terrific series so far. i agree with some of the posts on here that it's the stories and the sci fi that has come back into Dr Who and done away with the soap opera/running down corridors of the first 4 series. It's got lots of great acting and great scripts and Matt Smith is the best Doctor i've seen (i've been watching since pertwee). He's an ancient child that can be ruthless and childish in the same speech. Superb.

Doctor Who -- The Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Doctor Who -- The Complete Series 5 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Matthew Smith
Offered by WorldCinema

5.0 out of 5 stars Vice Versa, 4 Aug. 2010
For me this is on par with season 2, my favourite season. Dr Who has had a huge and much needed overhaul. If you don't like what Moffat has done then you're not really going to like the series. I found the tailend of the RTD era had good ideas but woeful and embarrassing writing and shoddy execution. Series 5 has turned this around with brilliant scripts, great characterisation and wonderful execution. But if i am being honest the actual stories were not as strong as in previous series but everything else around them made up for it making it 5 stars from me.

Exhibit B: The Human Condition
Exhibit B: The Human Condition

3.0 out of 5 stars Oooh this is a tough one, 8 Jun. 2010
It's easy to get caught up with the epic nature of this album. There's a lot on offer and it takes a while to really get to grips with it. I could even be wanting to change my 3 star rating to a 4 in about a months time but I will have to go with my gut and give it a 3. I love the way Exodus have reinvented themselves, Tempo Of The Damned is just a thrash masterpiece and Shovel Headed Kill Machine a worthy follow up. I feel Exhibit B just lacks the hooks of Shovel hence the 3 stars, but as I mentioned earlier this could well change. Don't get me wrong this is a complete and uncompromising thrash fest with shredding to kill for. If that is your bag then get this immediately as Exodus show many of the younger thrash bands how it should be done. The issue I have is Rob Dukes whose lack of melody in his voice makes all the songs blend together, because if the music isn't catchy or melodic in its own right then the songs tend to sound all the same. Because of this the tunes rely heavily on pace and the guitar wizardy of Holt and Altus and for many this will be enough. Personally, I prefer tunes, melody and riffs something that some of their previous albums have had in greater quantities (and something you'll find in spades on Overkill's Ironbound). Still good though, i'm just trying to be as objective as I can.

Festival (Ltd. Digi)
Festival (Ltd. Digi)

3.0 out of 5 stars Time to move on, 8 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Festival (Ltd. Digi) (Audio CD)
The problem with this and their last album, Global Warning, is that Jon has pilfered Criss Oliva's demo tapes a little too much. I love Savatage but there's a little too much recyling of old demos going on. Ideas that weren't good enough to make any of the official Savatage releases, and consequently are 20+ years old, make this album sound a little uninspired and dated in places. I am a huge Savatage fan, even as far as spending all my grant money and a freezing night on paddington station in 1991 just to see them at the marquee, but I have to admit that although this album is not bad songs such as Lies, Living On The Edge and The Evil Within are just not very exciting.
The formula of heavy tune, nice acousticy tune, heavy tune, nice acousticy tune is present and correct once again to break any type of flow the album could've had. The production is as weedy as ever with the guitars playing second fiddle to the drums causing the pacey end to the otherwise excellent Afterglow sound pretty feeble.
On a more positive note, Death Rides A Black Horse still shows that Jon still has it, whatever 'it' maybe. The Title track is quite good and I Fear You is sufficently bottom endy to make an impact. On the whole the best songs aren't as strong as the ones on Global Warning but I think it is more consistant. I just hope Jon moves on next time, beefs up his production and produces some really evil Doctor Butcher style metal, or is that just me? Probably.

Annihilator (Limited Edition)
Annihilator (Limited Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Blowing Hot And Cold, 7 Jun. 2010
'There are 66 solos on this album' boasts the sticker. I have to admit that Jeff Waters is on fine form on this self titled release. For myself it's at the expense of the song writing which has its moments but sadly not enough for me to mark it higher than a 3. The album starts really well with a couple of blasters relying on fast thrashing rhythm style chugging, ala Slayer, rather than clever riffage of songs such as Fun Palace and My Precious Lunatic Asylum, but this isn't a critisism just an observation. Dave Padden is a great vocalist and it's nice to see him hanging around. See him on youtube and he can sing and play Annihilator music, quite a feat indeed. After the first 3 tunes it's very much a mixed bag. Betrayed is ok without taking the roof off, 25 Seconds is a disjointed mess, Death In Your Eyes perhaps should be earlier in the track listing and The Other Side sounds at odds with the rest of the album. It's only 9 songs with a (an excellent) cover of Van Halen Romeo's Delight, and at the end I was asking myself 'was that it?'.

The shredding and Dave Padden are the highlights here and is a good antidote to the arguably overblown 'Metal'. Will I still be spinning it in the future like Never Neverland or Waking The Fury? Possibly but not as much.

The Obsidian Conspiracy +Bonus CD
The Obsidian Conspiracy +Bonus CD

3.0 out of 5 stars Repeated Listens Recommended, 7 Jun. 2010
Unlike the first couple of reviews The Obsidian Conspiracy is not quite a 4 for me. The first half sounds like recycled material from their previous efforts yet the second half is a little more creative. But after a 5 year wait it's a little underwhelming especially as it follows the beast that was 'This Godless Endevour'. It's as if they've not really tried and thrown some songs together without thinking whether they are worthy of following their past effort. The production is exactly the same which causes you to wonder if they've progressed at all. Add some pointless covers and you starting asking yourself if the fantastic packaging with the 'shred like Loomis' bonus CD, postcards and lyric cards all kept together in a natty box, is covering for the fact that there's not much depth to this release. However, once you get past this and listened to it on its own merits it's quite a solid effort with Nevermore finding a comfortable niche for themselves. I wouldn't rate it higher than Enemies Of Reality, it's more on a par with this album.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6