Profile for P. Worrall > Reviews

Content by P. Worrall

P. Worrall "Pete Worrall" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Epicloud
Epicloud

4.0 out of 5 stars So Much Style, 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Epicloud (Audio CD)
I've been a Devy fan since his vocal work with Steve Vai. I have been through the fanboy stage where, in my opinion, he could do no wrong both in SYL and also his solo albums, then Synchestra came and my Devy bubble burst as that album did nothing for me. Since then his output, for me at least, has been quite patchy and now I like to think I can approach his music with a lot more objectivity than I used to. So, it gives me a warm feeling to say that Epicloud gives me that fuzzy feeling I used to get in the 90s and early 00s.

If you consider his Addicted album sprinkled with parts of Physicist, Accelerated Evolution and Infinity then you may get an idea of what Epicloud is like. It has taken the pop metal blueprint laid down on Addicted and expanded it sonically to a huge rock/metal reverberating expanse. The songs are fairly simple when you break them down, the main riff in 'Liberation' is pretty generic, but they have so much style and brilliant production work that such a straight forward song, such as the aforementioned and 'Hold On', is lifted to a new level. But if all the shine was stripped away would the songs still be any good? For the most part, yes, and most of them are instantly likeable as well.

If you're an old hat like me and Devy was becoming a hit and miss affair, then this could be for you as it is a mammoth sounding album that is a worthy addition to his solo work. Recommended.

Hive Mind [Explicit]
Hive Mind [Explicit]

3.0 out of 5 stars It is nice to still have them around, 24 Sep 2012
Sinch are one of those great bands who should have been a lot bigger. Their second album, 'Clearing The Channel' was an excellent follow up to their self titled major label debut, 'Sinch'. Their record deal was not renewed and in 2009 they started work on a fan funded follow up and this is what we have here. All of Sinch's traits are present, the songs are ok, the production is excellent and Jamie Stem's vocals are superb as ever. After many listens, because I really wanted to love this album, there is nothing that is jumping out at me but I am willing to stick with it.

If you like to dip your toe into the sea that is Pearl Jam then Sinch maybe worth your time. It is nice to still have them around and I hope this album is not the last of their output.

Full Pull (Ltd. Digi)
Full Pull (Ltd. Digi)

4.0 out of 5 stars Erm...go on, I'll give it 4 stars., 24 Sep 2012
This review is from: Full Pull (Ltd. Digi) (Audio CD)
Treading that well worn path between AC/DC and Krokus, Bullet have delivered their 4th album and it is exactly what you would expect. I have been a fan since their 1st album, Heading For The Top, and I don't think I would want them any other way. Simple rocking grooves, screaming Brian Johnson style vocals and songs about how much they like motorbikes.

The production is slightly different from previous albums relying more on a dryer guitar sound. 'Midnight Oil' and 'Rolling Home' suggest that Bullet are expanding slightly on their tried and tested formula with pleasing results. Of course, you get the fist pumping rockers such as 'All Fired Up', 'Full Pull' and 'Rush Hour' (which seems to contain a Megadeth tribute in the solo), but you also get the odd duffer such as 'High On The Hog', a song I don't think would exist if Highway To Hell and Who Made Who had not already been written.

This is not a bad place to start if you are new to Bullet, but I still think 'Bite The Bullet' is still the shining beacon in their discography. But if you are already a fan of Bullet and want more of the same then this is recommended.

Ironbound
Ironbound

5.0 out of 5 stars A Modern Masterpiece, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Ironbound (Audio CD)
This is a modern masterpiece. If you like exciting heavy metal then this is a must for you. All the great aspect of fast, aggressive thrash are here. It easily holds its own against the likes of Horrorscope and The Years Of Deacy. Overkill, you should be proud of yourselves.

Supremacy of Steel
Supremacy of Steel

2.0 out of 5 stars Bass, how low can you go?, 1 May 2012
This review is from: Supremacy of Steel (MP3 Download)
Cage are a great band, Hell Destroyer, in particular, was a beast of an album. Supremacy Of Steel is more of the same except some bad elf has stolen the bass from the recording. The mix is poor and I found myself turning off withing a couple of songs. I am sure there is a decent album here it is just that I can't get at it at the moment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 24, 2012 7:36 AM BST

The Power Within
The Power Within

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 1 May 2012
This review is from: The Power Within (Audio CD)
This is a good Dragonforce album. The new singer is fantastic and there are a couple of positive signs at progression within the song writing. But the band still deliver what they are good at and at times it is a cut n paste job from previous albums. However, I have found this album more appealing than Ultra Beatdown and a good return from these extreme power-metallers.

The Electric Age (Ltd. Cd+dvd)
The Electric Age (Ltd. Cd+dvd)

5.0 out of 5 stars Relentless, 1 May 2012
Ironbound is one of my favourite thrash albums of all time not just of the new thrash age. Although I was looking forward to its follow up, the next album rarely matches such a masterpiece. Although 'The Electric Age' is not on a par with 'Ironbound' it comes very close. 'The Electric Age' has more in common with the 2nd half of Ironbound. The relentless pace and agression spit bile right across this album with very little let up making the music very exciting and full of energy. This does make the songs blend together but with repeated listens they grow into their own identities. The performances are superb with Lipnicki in particular breathing new life in these old thrashing dogs. But it is Blitz who really impresses on this disc. Whatever is needed to sing thrash he has in spades and then some. His performance is quite astonishing at times. It might not have the immediate hooks of Ironbound but it is an impressive return for a rejuvinated thrash band and an album that is on par, and at times passes, the quality of their very early releases.

Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who - A Christmas Carol [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Christmas Shenanigans, 1 May 2012
A highly enjoyable romp based on A Christmas Carol. The daft sharks do not spoil or detract from the clever twists on this old tale, well, for me they didn't. Matt Smith is brilliant once again and the pace of the story is just about right. It's a bit of a tear jerker at the end, so if you're emotionally susceptible to sad endings then be warned. When my mother, who had just walked in from her Christmas nap, asked me at the end whether it was any good, the word 'yeah' stumbled out of my mouth in a broken fashion. Repeated watching is not recommended on this one, however. It is best to leave for a year or two between viewings.

Doctor Who Christmas Special  2011 - The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe [Blu-ray]
Doctor Who Christmas Special 2011 - The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Matt Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for adults, 1 May 2012
This is Dr Who for kids who like disney. There's nothing wrong with this but if you're a Who fan expecting anything more then you'll probably be disappointed. Matt Smith is my favourite Doctor but I don't think I was the intended audience when this story was written, I think I'll leave it at that. Approach with caution.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2012 11:05 AM BST

Unisonic (Mediabook)
Unisonic (Mediabook)

3.0 out of 5 stars Try before you buy, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Unisonic (Mediabook) (Audio CD)
With two heavy weights from the power metal genre behind it you would be forgiven into thinking that this Unisonic album was going to be a visit to Helloween's past, or at least have a flavour of it. It would be be fair to say that a lot of that early Helloween audience will be interested in Unisonic with Kiske and Hansen joining forces again, I should know, I count myself as one of them. The lead video for the song, Unisonic, was, for me, quite disappointing as it was a generic but likeable song, but a song that Hansen has been chocking out for years with an opening riff he probably phoned in whilst on the toilet. This song is about as fast and as heavy as this album gets and, if you get past the fact that this isn't going to be Keeper part 4, then this album is quite enjoyable. It's catchy, well performed and contains a handful of decent tunes. In summary it is a good rock album.

For myself, it was all a little underwhelming and it sounds like they've written all the tunes in about a week. There's nothing technical, progressive or epic about this album, which is surprising considering the minds behind it and the catalogue of epic tracks they have clocked up over the years. Still, it's entertaining enough without being very challenging and we all need a few albums like this in our collection.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6