Profile for Pat Weegie > Reviews

Emporio Armani Men's AR5905 Stainless-Steel Quartz Watch with Black Dial
Emporio Armani Men's AR5905 Stainless-Steel Quartz Watch with Black Dial
Offered by MTM WATCHES

3.0 out of 5 stars I bought this AR5905watch as a present, 20 July 2014
I bought this AR5905 watch as a present, I am a bit concerned on looking at the watch box that something 'may not be right' about it, the presentation box is dusty, full of marks, badly made and cheap tacky looking, it looks as if it's a 'fake' presentation box which is poorly made and quickly covered in badly applied sticky plastic, I'm now worried that if it is fake - is the watch also that too even though on first appearances the watch does look real? ( I think i'd need to take it for evaluation at a jewellers to be sure as the presentation box has seriously put doubt in my mind) When given as a present to my son, all due to the condition of the box, the first thought on my son's mind was: "he is giving me a F*** fake watch?". Thanks for the embarrassement of a dirty shabby box 'Watch Bands UK'! .

Sourcingmap 4mm Female Banana Socket 7mm Thread Binding Post Terminal (Pack of 4)
Offered by Universal Color

3.0 out of 5 stars Banana socket/ binding posts, 21 Jun. 2013
Good for the price asked.
I don't know exactly what the maximum Amps or Volts is that they can withstand as yet - but looking at them I'd take a wild guess of no more than about 6 to 8amps at 12V - 30Vdc, any more 'might' cause issues like overheating and melting.

The plastic is a bit soft compared to the far more expensive hardier versions that can be bought from places like 'Farnell' or 'RS Components' which can cost the same or even more for just one binding post, but I cannot complain for the price paid for 4, you get what you pay for and these are more than adequate for what they are going to be used for.

The threading on the plastic body could be easily stripped if overtightened, be careful when tightening the nut that secures the body to a panel, the same could also be said of the smaller nuts too, the metal used is also a bit soft - but not too soft as to make it useless.

They do not come with solder tags, so if you are expecting them with it - buy some in advance for them, the ends can be soldered though, they are designed so that cables can be soldered directly to their ends rather than using separate crimp connectors.

They come with a 2mm hole in the binding shaft, this makes it easy to pass thin wire through it before tightening down the knurled end (saves on wrapping wire round it).

The depth of the female part of banana socket is a bit shallow for most standard length banana plugs, this leaves a bit of the bare metal of the male banana plug sticking out and easily touchable.

As I already said, they are good for the price since these are 'budget' binding posts and are not made for professional or industrial use but are more than suitable for general DIY low current/power HiFi speakers and electronics hobbyists looking to save a few £ on their experimental/prototype projects build costs.

TTS Maglite Torch Flashlight CREE LED Bulb 220 Lumen Upgrade for 2C or 2D Cell
TTS Maglite Torch Flashlight CREE LED Bulb 220 Lumen Upgrade for 2C or 2D Cell
Offered by TheTorchSite

4.0 out of 5 stars 3 Watt Cree XP-E LED Maglite upgrade, 3 Jun. 2013
Arrived extremely quick from 'The Torch Site', I bought this Cree LED at the same time as I bought their 'Ultra Clear' glass lens (it's also excellent and makes a large difference to the torches light output), both arrived well packaged in their own plastic reusable containers (they are also designed to hold AA batteries for storage, which is handy).

Now for the 'sort of' review:
I can say this Cree XP-E upgrade has made a huge difference to an old but reliable 3D Maglite that has been with me for decades of which it has also survived extremely harsh working conditions and handling (if it could talk, it would be so foul mouthed it would make a docker blush!). The original bulb in the Mag was changed from filament to led over a year ago with a drop in Nite-Ize LED which just turned out to be just a high brightness 0.5Watt 10mm LED rather than a Cree (which I originally thought it was until I discovered the blunder). The 10mm LED Nite-Ize roughly uses 110mA (0.11Amps) @ 4.5v and provides useful light and the batteries seem to last forever compared to the Mag's standard incandescent bulb, the Cree XP-E however - what a massive difference in light output, it's like comparing a proper torch to a candle (the candle is of course the Nite-Ize led and the Maglite's stock incandescent bulb is like a match in comparison to the Cree XP-E bulb).

The XP-E Cree at 4.5volts, the current drain is about 650mA (which is 0.65 Amps for those who don't know what milliamps are, 1000mA = 1Amp) and it does use about 2.92 Watts. I have not tested it for battery lifespan yet or to see if there is a vast drop in light output as the batteries slowly run down, but I do suggest you use good quality alkaline batteries or very high capacity NiMh rechargeable batteries to get the best battery life from it going by it's measured current drain on fresh batteries at start up.

Now for some ranting:
Plenty of people say "Look, there are better and brighter more powerful torches out there for a similar price to this bulb!" Yes I sort of agree with them, but you also have to look at the battery run times of those torches at similar lumen levels and also you may have to buy 'special' batteries to power many of these more powerful 'all bells and whistles' torches with irritating multifunction SOS, strobe, intensity level on/off buttons, you also have to consider how tough they are, will they last 20+ years even after being dropped from the roof of a 20 floor high-rise building onto muddy grass, can it be relied on in an emergency ? - or accidentally reversed over by a car? Well - my tough old Mag has and is still going strong - so - the price of this little upgrade is worth it in my opinion just to breath a new lease of life into my old reliable Maglite that's powered by simple old fashioned D cells.

I find the beam of the Mag more than satisfactory now, I already know it has a flaw common to all these C and D cell Mag's and that's the doughnut effect on wide beam, the Cree will not fix that defect, but on spot throw - it's definitely fixed that - it's now excellent with the 3Watt Cree XP-E upgrade giving a very strong bright white beam with a throw/range which is amazing considering it's coming from an OAP torch 20+ years old!

LINDY Anti-Static Service Kit
LINDY Anti-Static Service Kit

3.0 out of 5 stars Lindy Anti-Static Service Kit, 5 April 2013
I bought this to replace my old 'pro' anti-static service kit which was on it's last legs due to years of use, dirt, wear and tear taking it's toll, so I decided it's time for a 'cheap' replacement for occasional use and I took a chance on this due to it's low price (the pro versions can cost well over double or triple what this one costs).

The quality of the materials on this Lindy kit is poor unfortunately and it's construction isn't good when compared to what professional service technicians use, BUT, it's reasonably ok for occasional use. If you use this kit regularly, then expect it to wear out/fall apart extremely fast. This 'service kit' is NOT suitable for soldering work on ESD sensitive components due to the vinyl it is made of, my impression is that if a blob of molten or even hot solder falls on it, then it will go through it like a hot knife through butter.

The material used is cheap thin flexible vinyl which is about the thickness of light craft paper (my old pro one was double layer 3/4mm thick and hot solder proof), unfortunately I can't test the Lindy mat's ESD properties yet due to not having an ESD meter to hand, but looking at the grounding wire and strap it should work fine (I don't know about the mat through).

The wrist strap has a 1MΩ resistance built in, probably through a resistor in the wrist strap snap fastener on the band itself.

The black hub-plug that connects to the mat has two banana plug sockets on one edge (which I'll call the grounding hub as it is used as one) for plugging in the wrist strap and another optional lead. The two banana sockets on the hub have no resistors between them and the black grounding wire, it's just a straight through grounding wire to the banana sockets with no resistance that I can measure, so any wrist strap and optional lead that plugs into the hub will individually need to have a resistor built in to them.

The black mat 'hub-plug' has a snap fastener on one side which mates directly onto the mat's snap connector and has a 1MΩ resistor built in between the hub snap fastener and the black ground wire within the 'hub'.

The poor quality crocodile clip at the end of the black grounding wire is removable due to the manufacturer putting a banana plug on the wire end, this is handy if you have a 3 pin UK grounding plug that has banana sockets but is useless if the plug is of the snap fastener connection type.

That's about all I can really say about the basic and cheap 'grounding hub' and the wrist strap in this 'kit'. As for the mat, it's a basic and cheap 'static dissipative' mat that should hopefully work. You get what you pay for, if you need one for daily use or for work, then AVOID THIS and pay for a proper anti-static professional service kit from somewhere like RS Components, it will be worth the extra money in the long term, otherwise you will go through these Lindy kits faster than a bad vindaloo would go through you.

Corsair TX750V2 Enthusiast Series 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU
Corsair TX750V2 Enthusiast Series 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze PSU

5.0 out of 5 stars The Corsair TX750V2 PSU, 6 Mar. 2013
The internals for the Corsair TX750V2 are manufactured by a very good Chinese PSU OEM manufacturer (Seasonic) for Corsair (not all of Corsairs PSU models are made by Seasonic, many are from other OEM manufacturers).

I've had many PSU's from 'Seasonic' pass through my hands as a technician over the years and they do seem to last, hence the reason I chose this exact Corsair re-branded Seasonic PSU model. If you get a good OEM manufacturer and add Corsair's excellent reputation and customer service together with it you will get a good PSU, that is what has happened here with the TX750V2.

If you want to find out more about the PSU, there are excellent Technical reviews on the WWW, you just need to Google.

My TX750V2 is now a year old and is still going strong even though she in use for 24/7 most of the time, for a PSU she's a wee cracker. :-)

Belkin RJ45 Modular Connector 25 Pack
Belkin RJ45 Modular Connector 25 Pack
Offered by Universal Color

3.0 out of 5 stars Belkin ? RJ45 plugs, 24 Feb. 2013
Not sure if they are Belkin made? They look different to ones I bought elsewhere. Anyway, their ok and do the job even though the pin contacts are shorter and narrower than most others I've used in the past. For the price I paid for 25 of them I can't complain, their ok and do the job, I've not had any problems when fitting them to Cat5e cable as yet, no sign of cracking or deformation of the plastic so far. I do not like the individual internal guides for the wire cores in these though, most other plugs have longer guides for locating the cores to the pins than these ones do.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Small speaker wall brackets, 24 Feb. 2013
Not much I can say about them apart from:

Solid, well made, very good quality, they do as they were designed to do. :-)

RJ-45 Keystone Jack
RJ-45 Keystone Jack
Offered by SJD Spares

1.0 out of 5 stars RJ-45 Keystone jack, 24 Feb. 2013
This review is from: RJ-45 Keystone Jack (Electronics)
Very poor quality.
Total junk!

As a trained technician/engineer I'd say:

The soldering on the PCB is substandard as some haven't even been soldered properly, the contact pins do not look gold plated and some of them are rough rather than smooth. The soldering work looks like it has been done by a complete beginner at soldering and not a machine on a production line.

The jack's plastic moulding: RJ45 plugs are loose when plugged in so it won't always keep the pins on the contacts, this causes electrical problems and with data transfer.

My guess is that they were made in some small back street sweatshop in Asia or China going by the build, solder and contact plating quality. They do look like they were made in a sweatshop either that or the manufacturer has thrown their quality control out of the window and drastically cut corners!

My suggestion, AVOID and treat them like the plague as they are extremely cheap and nasty sockets. Save your money and go buy well made ones from elsewhere, example: Philex.

I cannot be bothered sending the two of them I bought back to the supplier so have binned them instead, glad I didn't buy more than 2 or I'd be demanding my money back!

Neewer 48 Macro LED Ring Flash Light Includes 4 Diffusers (Clear, Warming, Blue, White) for Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax SLR Cameras (Fit 49, 52, 55, 58, 62, 67, 72, 77mm Lens) , Such as Canon 650D, 600D, 550D, 70D, 60D, 5D, 5D Mark 2, 5D Mark 3, Nikon D5000, D3000, , D5100, D3100, D7000, D7100, D800, D800E, D60
Offered by iTekLife Global

5.0 out of 5 stars RF550D Ring Light, 24 Feb. 2013
I'm quite impressed with this 'Travor' RF-550D (made by Celltech Electronic Company Ltd) Macro Ring Flash. Build quality is good for the price, the only issue will be the plastic lens adaptors, I expect the threads on them to wear out fast if the unit is removed and put back on frequently, so don't expect the adaptors to last years with constant use. I recommend that you are gentle and take your time when fitting the lens adaptor, rush it or be a bit rough and you will strip the plastic threads, I also recommend that you do not over-tighten them, not even finger tight. Leave the adaptor slightly loose for safety.

The amount of light the ring flash/light gives off is quite impressive by illuminating the subject to be photographed extremely well.

(Now for the technical, extremely boring bit that those seriously into photography will probably be interested in and will probably be able to make sense of) Using a digital multimeter with a built in 'Lux light meter' I measured the approximate illumination intensity of a subject (the multimeter itself) at three distances using just three settings of the units 'stepped' variable brightness control (with the light constantly on).

As a comparison on how much this unit will light the subject to be photographed I checked the illumination on the same subject with 2 bulbs, one an incandescent 40w SES spotlight and a 12w ES CFL energy saver. (please don't ask for the figures in Lumen's, that would be really pointless, instead please just google it.)

Cheap 40w SES spotlight bulb:

1,100 lux at 30 cm
350 lux at 60 cm

The RF-550D for illumination comparison:
At a distance to subject from light of 10cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 11,800 Lux. (very close to the 40watt bulb illumination level)
0.0 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 9,100 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 6,250 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 30cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 2,750 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 2,100 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 1,450 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 60cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 740 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 570 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with no diffuser I got 410 Lux.

With the 'Opal white diffuser' attached repeating the above tests:

At a distance to subject from light of 10cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 3,550 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 2,780 Lux .
-1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 1,920 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 30cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 730 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 560 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 400 Lux.

At a distance to subject from light of 60cm:
+1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 220 Lux.
0.0 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 180 Lux.
-1.5 setting on brightness control with opal diffuser I got 140 Lux.

(Lux light meter accuracy: +/-5%, manufacturer calibrated to incandescent light source at a colour temp of 2856kelvin.)

The LED flash function on the RF-550D emits it's light in approximately 1/100th of a second, it's not as fast or as intense as a strobe flash, you might notice a very slight delay after the shutter release is pressed if you are used to using strobe based flashes.

According to the manufacturer the colour temperature of the light this ring light/flash gives off is 3000kelvin to 15000kelvin, I have no way of testing this claim as the equipment required is well out of my price range (unless I was lucky enough to win the lottery, then I would have a go at it).

This ring flash/light also works on a Fuji Finepix S9000/S9500 bridge camera, the only issue is that with the opal white diffuser attached it will cause chronic light reflections in the lens due to the way the diffuser very slightly catches the edge of the field of view of the lens, this results in optical effects through the lens caused by the light itself, this makes that diffuser useless, I'll guess that the coloured diffusers also cause this issue too on that camera.

The only way I think I can get round that optical interference issue is to mask off the edge of the diffuser closest to the lens with matt black tape. I do not know if this issue exists with other lenses as the lens it was tried on is a 58mm diameter permanently attached 28mm to 300mm manual zoom lens and is non removable. Apart from that minor optical reflection issue, it works perfectly.

The Voltage on the RF-550D at the hot-shoe terminals is just slightly over 3 volts, this is important for some DSLR cameras as many of them cannot handle anything higher than 5v without causing expensive damage to their camera.

For a budget macro ring light I'd give it 8/10 only due to the fact the threads on the adaptors are plastic and will wear out fast with constant use, otherwise it's a nice bit of kit and does what the maker says it will even though it can be a bit too bright for macro use and has a little issue using the lens mentioned above (I'll soon rectify that using a little ingenuity and inventiveness). ;-)

Ps, I'd like to thank BestDealUK for a fast dispatch and delivery, it only took 7 days and that includes weekends, that's fast considering the item came all the way from Hong Kong. :-)

Anyway, I'm now going off to irritate the wife, I want to see if I can catch her loony pets in funny poses/antics using my new bit of kit.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2016 10:14 AM GMT

4" Vinyl Memory Cushion 18"Wheelchair moulds to the body's shape easing pressure
Offered by Fenetic Wellbeing

5.0 out of 5 stars Decent quality wheelchair cushion., 12 July 2012
Wife finds the RDK Mobility cushion extremely comfortable compared to the original NHS supplied rubbish 2" thick one, thanks RDK Mobility for a good cushion. :) It's quite firm and has 15mm memory foam on top of 70mm medium-high density cushion foam within a good quality black vinyl covering with zip, it also has a couple of velcro strips on bottom to aid with grip to wheelchair seat if required. :)

Fast delivery, ordered Sunday night arrived Tuesday, BUT! It's just a pity that Royal Mail couldn't be bothered delivering it to my door though. The Royal Mail delivery guy stuck the card through my letterbox, he didn't bother knocking the door or ringing the bell and vanished extremely fast before I got to the door which took less than 20 seconds, all I saw was the Royal Mail guy hopping into his van and speeding off down the street, obviously he had no intention of delivering it and was in a hurry to do his round!

I had to personally collect the parcel from the sorting office, shame on you Royal Mail I paid £10 for delivery to my door and not an F'ing sorting office!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2014 11:25 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2