Profile for Steve.J > Reviews

Fenjal Classic Luxury Body Powder 100g
Fenjal Classic Luxury Body Powder 100g
Offered by Verdure Plus

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic lightly fragranced talc, 12 Jan. 2014
I bought this for my Mum who loves the Fenjal range of body products. The scent is light, fresh and timeless in its' appeal, my wife also like to use it on occasion. They both say that the talc feels very smooth and silky on the skin and that the fragrance does last well. As you don't have to use large amounts of it for all day freshness, it is a good value buy. Check it out in your local Boots or other chemist, to see if the fragrance suits you.

The Chillout Lounge-More Downtempo New Grooves For Late Night Lounging
The Chillout Lounge-More Downtempo New Grooves For Late Night Lounging

4.0 out of 5 stars Very mellow and chilled - the continuous mixes are a nice touch!, 12 Jan. 2014
I bought this from Amazon when it was available as a two album 'box set' package with its' partner album and I now see that it has returned as a single album.

I was a bit wary when I looked at this download album, as I only recognised a couple of the tracks, but after listening to the track previews on the download page, I thought I would give it a try. I am so glad I did, this is definitely an album that delivers what it says in terms of chilled tracks! Great for listening to whilst working or relaxing and the remixes included (4 of them, between 55 and 75 minutes each)have proved to be a great bonus. As with any compilation there are always a couple of tracks that don't suit individual tastes and may have you reaching for the skip button, but that is only to be expected. On occasion the track selection seems to be a little odd when moving from one track to another, but none of them were too jarring to be actually annoying. If you are looking for something a bit different to help you relax and chill out then you should at least give this album a chance and listen to the previews to see if it is your thing. At the price I think it is great value for money!

As an aside, I have to say that the Amazon download manager is a pretty reliable little Application and certainly helps the download go smoothly. I have yet to have a problem with it, after a couple of years of use.

The Chillout Lounge
The Chillout Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars Very mellow and chilled!!, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Chillout Lounge (MP3 Download)
I bought this from Amazon when it was available as a package with its' partner album and I now see that it has returned as a single album.

I was a bit wary when I looked at this download album, as I only recognised a couple of the tracks, but after listening to the track previews on the download page, I thought I would give it a try. I am so glad I did, this is definitely an album that delivers what it says in terms of chilled tracks! Great for listening to whilst working or relaxing . As with any compilation there are always a couple of tracks that don't suit individual tastes and may have you reaching for the skip button, but that is only to be expected. On occasion the track selection seems to be a little odd when moving from one track to another, but none of them were too jarring to be actually annoying. If you are looking for something a bit different to help you relax and chill out then you should at least give this album a chance and listen to the previews to see if it is your thing. At the price I think it is great value for money!

Sealapack 40 Ice Cube Bags - makes 1120 cubes
Sealapack 40 Ice Cube Bags - makes 1120 cubes
Offered by best deal 4 u

4.0 out of 5 stars a decent solution to making ice cubes, 9 Jan. 2014
UPDATE 23/09/2014: There is one big caveat to the following review and that is the variable quality of the product. Recently I have experienced a large number of failures with these bags, where they leak from the bottom seal, a problem that can affect ~75% of the bags in a box. To be fair, when I have raised the issue with retailers and shown them the problem, they have always supplied a fresh batch, which is sometimes fine, other times nearly or just as bad. I have raised the issue with the distributor 151 Products Ltd, so hopefully they will take the problem up with the manufacturer. So whilst I still like the product and will leave the rating at 4* because it is a convenient and neat solution to making ice, I would suggest that if you encounter any leak issues, notify the retailer straight away and ask for replacements. These bags are very useful, but the manufacturer needs to be aware that their quality control is very poor!!

I have been using these Sealapack disposable ice cube bags for a while now and obtained them from a number of suppliers. They are a convenient way of producing plenty of ice cubes, without the hassle of cleaning and re-using hard plastic trays. Just check the pricing, as they do seem to vary widely from retailer to retailer.

Once filled with water, these bags are about 25cm long x 15cm wide x 1cm deep and make 28 cubes per bag. You do have to be patient when filling them, as it takes a while for the water to make its way to all of the sections and may need some 'encouragement'. They are a bit fiddly to tie off once filled but you soon get the hang of that. They are made of very thin plastic, to make it easy to remove the cubes, but this means they are a bit fragile and easy to puncture. Do not stack multiple bags on top of each other when initially freezing them, as they tend to freeze together, then tear when you try to split them. Do not lay the bags on anything else that are likely to stick or freeze to in the freezer for the same reason. You do have to pop each cube out of its compartment individually.

Overall, a cheap, convenient and effective way of producing large quantities of ice, at a sensible price, but just be careful when handling and freezing. Be prepared to encounter the occasional bag that leaks due to a manufacturing fault as well, so check each bag for leaks before placing in the freezer.

I can see why the reviews vary so much on these bags - I have just received my latest batch and they are different to the previous one, which was different to the one before that, so the design and quality are variable. This batch seem to work OK, but are made of a slightly thicker and different material. I have still had the occasional bag that fails during filling, but I will live with that for the convenience of making ice this way.

Tanks! - The Battles For Normandy [DVD]
Tanks! - The Battles For Normandy [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Fletcher
Offered by Special Interests

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but becomes more of an overview of the Normandy Campaign, 9 Jan. 2014
This is one episode in a decent 12 part series about the armoured vehicles of WW2. It starts in a promising way for those interested in the details of armoured vehicles of the period, focussing on the Churchill AVRE (Assault Vehicle Royal Engineers) variants, otherwise known as 'Hobarts Funnies'. These specialised tank variants provided solutions to various tactical problems on D-Day and beyond and should be of interest to anyone who wants to know a bit more about armoured warfare in this period. After this, the episode takes a more general view of the progress of fighting post D-Day and the differences in quantity vs quality of Allied and German forces. the Allies esp. the USA, had focussed on faster medium tank designs and the Germans on highly armoured and armed tanks (plus having the fearsome 88mm anti-tank gun), resulting in huge losses for the allies.

Overall, a decent documentary of D-Day armour, but I felt that it lost its' way a bit as it went from specific detail to strategic overview a bit too much, especially as it was billed as being about armoured battles. To be fair, I suppose that the producers are trying to squeeze a large quantity of information into a 48 minute documentary, so maybe I am being a bit harsh.

I have to say that the whole series is definitely worth at least one viewing for anyone interested in WW2 history, especially armoured vehicles of that period. You need to bear in mind that the series is about 13 years old now and the animation sequences and contemporary video reflect that in terms of quality, but they are not dreadful, just ordinary.

The twelve episodes (in no particular order) are-

Steel Tigers
Sturmgeschutze and Panzerjaegar (tank destroyers)
Sturmartillerie (assault guns & infantry support)
Michael Wittman - Tiger Ace
Tigers in the Desert

Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Blue
Samsung Galaxy SIII Mini UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Blue
Offered by e-Ranger

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Android Phone - especially for lighter usage., 9 Jan. 2014
The S3 is a great `little' phone, well suited to those of us who do not live on our phones. It is not quite what I would call a mini phone - it measures 120mm x 60mm x 10mm approx., with a viewable screen of about 4". Still, when compared to the full `pocket filling' S3 and S4 phones it is quite compact.
The screen is reasonably clear, sharp and responsive to the touch and fairly quick in flicking from screen to screen.
Signal reception seems to be generally decent (on Tesco Mobile/O2) but does sometimes struggle to deliver a full 3G connection. I do not really know if this is down to the phone, the signal or a combination of the two. I have rarely found this to be an issue though.

As a SIM - free version, it does not come too overloaded with Apps, which is a blessing (but still a few too many 'useless ones' for my liking), leaving you free to load those that you really need. You do get a few Samsung and Google Apps, which you may or may not use. Email, Internet, Maps and the SATNAV are my mainstay ones. I just wish it was easier to completely get rid of the little used pre-installed Apps, without having to resort to 'rooting' the phone, which is a minefield for inexperienced or 'non techie' users! (This is typical of Android devices though).

I also liked the soft earbud type earphones that were supplied with the phone, I find them quite comfortable.

The supplied Email and internet seem to function without issue for me and the Maps and SATNAV, whilst not up to Garmin standards, have served me well when travelling. Do make sure you have an in car charger, as the phone obviously needs Wi-Fi and GPS running when using this and the battery will drain quite quickly. I have loaded and use the Viber App to call friends abroad (they need to have it on their phones as well) and this uses about 17MB of data for a 45minute call. As I never get through my 500MB allowance each month, this is a great way to make international calls `for free'.
The 5MP camera is OK, but does seem to be a bit slow at times. I have not really used this too much, but is handy standby if you do not have your camera to hand.

If battery life is important to you, remember to switch off Wi-Fi, GPS, Bluetooth and Mobile Data until you actually need them - these are easily accessible from the swipe down top menu bar. Also there is a power saving option, which I do use as well. As I mainly use the phone for short calls and texts, I can quite regularly get 4 days out of the battery before recharging, which is pretty good, I think. Leaving Mobile data switched on significantly reduces battery life, in my experience. If you need to shut down any Apps that use too much in the way of resources, a long press on the centre 'HOME' button will bring up the Task Manager, allowing you to shut down any persistent Apps. Strangely the Task Manager does not seem to be available by any other means, which I found a bit odd.

If there is one thing I don't like it is the on screen keyboard, I find it a bit small and easy to mistype with, but have not found it annoying enough to bother loading one of the larger keyboard Apps which are available. I did acquire one of those little soft nosed stylus, which makes typing more accurate, if slower.

So, overall a nice little package and the phone is upgradeable via the Samsung Kies software that you can download to your computer. It is not the best bit of software in the world, but I have upgraded both of our phones to Android 4.1.2 using it, without too many issues. Also, this is used to back up contact data, photos etc.

A useful addition to get is a wallet case with a stylus to protect the phone and give the assistance of easier typing. there are a few options available on Amazon or EBay. Also treat yourself to a 32GB microSD card (the maximum it will accept) as these are cheap enough now and allow storage of photos, music etc.

The only real downside that I have experienced is the extremely poor customer service available from from Samsung UK - you ask them a question or for guidance and you would be better asking a fish how to ride a bicycle!! They are really that bad!!

3rd Rock From the Sun: Season 4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
3rd Rock From the Sun: Season 4 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ John Lithgow
Offered by passionFlix UK

5.0 out of 5 stars A great 'sci-fi' sitcom from the 90's, 8 Jan. 2014
This comedy series from the 90's tells the story of 4 aliens who land on earth and take human form to 'research' our planet and its' inhabitants. Very quickly they find out that life in human society is confusing in the extreme and their lack of understanding of human emotions and physical needs, means they stumble from one one mad situation to another as they try to adjust to life in mid America. The main alien characters, played by John Lithgow, Kristen Johnson, French Stewart and Joseph Gordon-Levitt are hilarious and laugh out loud funny and are ably supported and abetted by Jane Curtin as a college professor and a host of other great characters. Each episode has a story running through it, that is told in a series of set pieces within each one. The series just gets better with each episode and I cannot wait to start on Season 2.

I don't want to include any 'spoilers', so I will just say don't be put off be the sci-fi element, it is more a comedy of human and 'nonplussed' alien interactions and just gets better with each episode. BE WARNED - this is a region 1 DVD set, so if you don't have a multi-region DVD player (or one that will at least play U.S DVD's) then it is not going to work in your player.

Touched with Fire
Touched with Fire
by Eric Bergerud

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent history of the war in the South Pacific during 1942 to 1944, 8 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Touched with Fire (Paperback)
This is a detailed examination of the island war in the South Pacific and focusses on on the period 1942 to 1944. Bergerud does well to focus on this critical area alone, and gives full credit and time to the outstanding contribution of the Australian forces in truly appalling conditions. His inclusion of a number of personal anecdotes and quotes brings the subject to life in all of its' dreadful detail and reveals the privations and struggles of both Allied and Japanese troops in fighting a jungle war. A great introduction to a lesser known theatre of WW2 (for many people) and has encouraged me to research it further. Obviously there is a major focus on American actions, but this is understandable given their commitment of men and material to this area of conflict.

The level of detail may sometimes be a little off-putting, but does explain the aims and intentions of both sides and tries to set things in context. The non-linear style does mean that you have to pay attention, or it is easy to lose the thread of what was happening from area to area.

This may be an older publication, but is still a valid review of this area of conflict. It is also worthwhile reading his other book about this period Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the South Pacific. This focusses on the air war over the same area and again benefits from many personal recollections.

Sirens Of The Sea Remixed
Sirens Of The Sea Remixed

5.0 out of 5 stars Vocal Trance that makes you feel oh so good!!, 8 Jan. 2014
Justine Suissa on vocals was an inspired if not genius choice for lead vocals on this euphoric trance album. I think this remixed version of the original Sirens of the Sea brings so much more to the table and the inclusion of the extra tracks, including Satellite (one of my favourite tracks), makes it a more complete package. This maybe a couple of years old now, but is still one of my `go to' albums and gets played on a regular basis. So if you love polished, professional and sophisticated euphoric Trance, get this!!

The Jelly Bean Factory Tube of Sweet Heart Jelly Beans 95 g (Pack of 6)
The Jelly Bean Factory Tube of Sweet Heart Jelly Beans 95 g (Pack of 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy 6 pack of Jelly Beans, 5 Jan. 2014
If you are a fan of Jelly Bean Factory products then you should enjoy this selection of 6 x 95gm tubes of Jelly Bean Hearts. Never the cheapest of sweet products, they do have a reputation for producing a wide range a great flavours, which do need to be tried one flavour at a time. The bean hearts come in 9 flavours - Strawberry Smoothie, Sour Lemon, Pomegranate, Bubblegum, Blueberry Pie, Raspberry Jam, Lemon & Lime, Cranberry Apple, and finally Caribbean Coconut.

I bought these for my wife as a Christmas stocking filler and she thoroughly enjoyed them, and though I don't bother much with sweets, I enjoyed the ones that I tried. So if you have a sweet tooth, give them a try, the small size packs do make you eat them a bit slower and enjoy each individual flavour.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20