Profile for Mr. Stuart K. Hopwood > Reviews

Content by Mr. Stuart K. ...

Mr. Stuart K. Hopwood

LG 47LA620V 47-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Cinema 3D Smart LED TV with Freeview HD/Built-In Wi-Fi
Price: 499.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome value for money TV, great quality., 10 Jun 2013
I picked up this HDTV at the weekend and so far I've found it to be 47 inches of wonder.
After the initial setup (which is very easy to do) I was a little underwhelmed by the picture quality.
However previous experience has taught me that out of the box settings are usually terrible so I broke out my AVS HD 709 calibration videos. These were on a USB HDD, and the TV just detected the HDD, popped up on the screen and I had full access to the calibration videos.
While calibrating the set I found it has two ISF certified picture modes, ideal for calibration. Once calibrated the HD quality improved so much. 2D content actually seems 3D at times due to exceptional black levels and sharp detail. 2D to 3D conversion is a joy to behold, especially if you change the 3D mode to 'Cinema'. BBC's Planet Earth was spectacular.

My Blu-Ray player is one of the first Samsung units, but even with a older player the true HD quality blows my socks off.
This TV really isn't at its best until you feed it top quality source material. I spun the 2D version of Avatar and my floor didn't leave the floor until the film had finished. Colors popped from the screen, but they weren't 'glowing' like you see in the stores. The picture was so sharp, so deep, I kept having to pause the film to take it all in.

Usually I disable anti-blurring modes on TV's as they can make movies look like a 'Soap Opera' but LG's TruMotion engine is excellent. There are 3 settings; Smooth, Clear and User. Smooth was a little too smooth for me, Clear was much better and really improved fast action sequences of Avatar.

I've yet to watch a 3D Blu-Ray as my player isn't compatible, but I did delve into the '3D World' the TV comes with. This lives in the 'Smart' area of the TV and you see a wide range of 3D content. It is streamed from the internet so a high speed broadband connection is recommended. I watched the Kylie Minogue 'Aphrodite' concert and I was very very impressed.
The TV comes with four pairs of passive (Polarised) glasses that are very light in weight and Stylish. They are much more comfortable that the ones you get at Movie theatres, so I will be taking these for the 3D film I go see.

As for the Smart TV apps, there are loads. I haven;t spent too much time running these as of yet, but Netflix works very well. Facebook is not great but lets face it, if you have a Apple, or Android smartphone the apps are always going to be better and easier to use on a mobile.

The TV automatically connects to UPNP sources such as my XBMC media center, and navigation is simple and easy. The TV has both Ethernet & wireless connections and setup is very easy. The TV can also be controlled via smartphone with the LG TV app over wifi. It works really well, giving you touch pad controls and a mouse pointer.

Overall I can't recommend this TV enough and for the price you won't be disappointed.
Comment Comments (27) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2014 10:24 PM GMT

Tetris Version 2 Tetrimino Light
Tetris Version 2 Tetrimino Light
Offered by Talbot Media
Price: 17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Tetris Lamp, 15 Jan 2013
Great product. Its a lot of fun to rearrange and it will really make a fun conversation piece in my new flat.
I first used mine at work, and everybody in my office came to have a play.

One thing to note you do have to get the placement just right or the lights can flicker, but its not a big deal.

Russell Hobbs RHM2080BR 20 litre 800w Black Digital Microwave
Russell Hobbs RHM2080BR 20 litre 800w Black Digital Microwave
Price: 73.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, but arrived with defect., 9 Jan 2013
This microwave is very stylish and well designed. I've only tried it a few times so far but it accommodates a large dinner plate with a bit of room to spare. It should microwave half a large domino's pizza with no problems.

The unit itself is quite heavy which means is always a sign of quality for me. The door itself is quite hard to open (The latches are quite strong) but I'm hoping it will get easier with use.

The only problem I have, is the unit arrived with two chips in the paint work on the top of the case. For me this isn't a big deal as how often do you look at the top of a microwave. The under paint is also a dark grey so it not noticeable if you aren't up close. For this it loses a star rating.