Profile for LJDIMES > Reviews

Content by LJDIMES

LJDIMES "Movie Lover" (UK)

Red Herring
Red Herring

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Red Herring (App)
Good fun and addictive.

A Million Ways to Die in the West [DVD]
A Million Ways to Die in the West [DVD]
Dvd ~ Liam Neeson

5.0 out of 5 stars Crude, rude, but absolutely hilarious!, 13 Nov. 2014
I saw this on board ship and although 4 people walked out after about ten minutes, the rest of us (about 150 people) laughed out loud throughout. I think Morphine Bubbles' review hits the nail on the head!

NT Cutter A 300 GR 1310522 Cutting Blade 9 mm Metal Silver/Black
NT Cutter A 300 GR 1310522 Cutting Blade 9 mm Metal Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the most useful of knives, 10 Nov. 2012
I purchased this NT 300 cutter as I had just worn out my old one. It had served me well for over 12 years and I had used it for pruning, shaving off edges of my woodcarving, etc etc. With the retractable blade, you can safely keep it in your pocket - particular useful for opening boxes, cutting tape etc when moving house (I helped my mother move recently). You will find the snap off blade system works very well and I still have two packets of blades which will be used. This latest version in silver and black is also better looking than my old one!

Amelia Earhart: The Sound of Wings
Amelia Earhart: The Sound of Wings
by Mary S. Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read, 12 Nov. 2011
A few years ago, I researched details of Amelia as I was doing a marquetry portrait of her along with her plane and route for her Atlantic solo flight. As I had shown interest in her,a friend gave me a copy of the hardback version of Mary's book and I couldn't put it down! She has very cleverly included a biography of the fascinating George Putnam within the book, as from 1927 Amelia's life and fate was intrinsically linked with his. The author has not skimped on the early life of Amelia either, the details of this period also fascinating. The notes and appendices show how much research the author has done and how she incorporates fact and rumour into a very cohesive and accurate narrative.This is, however, not a dry factual account, but a lively, enjoyable read about one of the most charismatic of aviators - you can feel the warmth that the author has for her subject coming through. I have also reviewed the film "Amelia" and you can see my comments on that.
( I must also read some of Mary's other books! )

Amelia [DVD]
Amelia [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hilary Swank
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Fact,but some fiction, 12 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Amelia [DVD] (DVD)
Having read a lot about Amelia Earhart, I bought this DVD in the hope that it accurately followed the life of her and George Putnam. I thought that Hilary Swank and Richard Gere were perfectly cast as the charismatic pair. I would liked to have seem some of her earlier life portrayed as she was, indeed, an aviator of some very considerable talent, knocking up many records even before she met Putnam. With his backing, she became the first woman(albeit accompanied) to cross the Atlantic in 1928, a year after Lindberg's solo flight. Little is also made of her solo Atlantic flight,which was exactly five years after Lindberg, a clever promotional move by the ever resourceful Putman.

Although the film is quite solid in it's factuality (in particular the end of her world flight in which I believe the dialogue between her and the operators at Howland Island is verbatim), it is a pity that part of it dwelt on her romantic relationship with Gene Vidal. This is based on rumour and, as is other tales of her relationships, has never been verified.
On the whole the film is still, however, good viewing.
If you want to know more, I highly recommend "The Sound of Wings" by Mary S Lovell, which is a very well researched and written biography of George Putnam as well as Amelia.

On a Wing and a Prayer (unabridged audio book)
On a Wing and a Prayer (unabridged audio book)
by Joshua Levine
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars First world war - the airmen, 16 Dec. 2010
I borrowed this audio book from my local library and liked it so much that I've bought this copy as a Christmas present for my dad. There is not a great deal written about the everyday (though dramatic) life of these early and first fighter pilots. The planes they flew were little more than fabric and wood attached to an engine. To survive the flight as well as fighting must have been a traumatic experience, especially as most of them were very young. This book is very poignant, especially as most of it comes from the written reminiscences of the men who took part. The author, who is also the narrator on this audiobook,links the memories with relevent facts that makes the overall telling a very cohesive and interesting piece of history, as well as giving a very human view of these brave young men.

The Night of the Sunflowers [2007] [DVD]
The Night of the Sunflowers [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Carmelo Gomez
Offered by The World Cinema Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual plot - totally unexpected story, 29 Nov. 2009
I ordered this film based solely on the fact that it had won many awards and I was, therefore, totally unprepared for what happens. I expected a who-done-it thriller, but it turns out much more than that. In fact, you find out halfway through who the killer is and it only has a small bearing on the story, or rather stories. All the characters are flawed ( in other words, normal human beings) and the results of their errors are catastrophic! Beautifully acted throughout. Recommended for viewers who like a good piece of drama, rather than just a shoot out. I won't write any more, as I don't want to give any of the unusual twists away