Profile for Paradigmshift > Reviews

Paradigmshift (Bournemouth, England)

Three Stations
Three Stations

4.0 out of 5 stars Mental chewing gum, 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: Three Stations (Kindle Edition)
This book was quite good as far as Cruz Smith goes - I only read this kind of thing to keep my brain on tickover in between reading serious modern history stuff. No it isn't in the same league as Le Carre or Hans Fallada, but premier division writing doesn't come along every day. It's not a bad read, just a bit different from the earlier exploits of Arkady Renko.

The Battle for the Rhine 1944: Arnhem and the Ardennes: the campaign in Europe 1944-45 (Cassell Military Paperbacks)
by Robin Neillands

5.0 out of 5 stars Management team development, 1 May 2010
There are two military histories I've read that have a use beyond the interest of the casual military or modern history buff. This is one of them, the other is Andrew Gordon's "The Rules of the Game",The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command (wow the price of that seems to have gone vertical, but I'm not surprised, it's more than good).

Robin Neillands' book strikes me as careful, balanced and interesting to read. I read it because I freely admit that there was a huge black hole in my understanding of what happened post Normandy landing. He pays a lot of attention to the human and 'political' side to the campaign, which appeals to me because I'm really not interested in military histories that quote endless statistics on how many howitzers so and so had lined up against so's and so's ZZZzzzzzzzz! Not so this book.

As others have commented, it may upset and annoy some, and give others something to dwell on. His conclusions on the PR and politics of the post Normandy campaign are probably a metaphor for what we see in world politics today, particularly for those of us who live in the 51st State.

Putting that aside, I'd quite like to ditch all the consultants who peddle 'leadership development' to public and private sector organisations and companies, and simply get directors and managers to read these two books and then apply them to their own situations, style of leadership and personalities...I suppose it may be tricky getting them to read a book that's more than 1cm thick, but they are both very readable.

Berlin: A Novel
Berlin: A Novel
by Pierre Frei

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb read, 13 Dec 2009
This review is from: Berlin: A Novel (Paperback)
Quite simply, this is the best detective novel I have ever read, (yes I have read more than one).

The setting is interesting: post war Berlin. The structure of the book - a series of stories within a story - worked well.

Ultimately the test is whether I could bear to put it down...I couldn't, and neither could my father or a friend who read it after me.

I think I should keep my eyes open for more of his work.

Stettin Station

The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command
The Rules of the Game: Jutland and British Naval Command
by Andrew Gordon

5.0 out of 5 stars Far more than a book about naval warfare, 12 Dec 2009
Fantastic, well researched and readable, but it has a very scary aspect...

...it reminds me of work, and I'm not actually an Admiral in the British Navy. I'm surrounded by 'regulators' and maybe a little bit of the 'rat catcher' would improve things (though maybe not the full-blown Beatty version).

Seriously, this book should be a textbook for anyone who wants to understand the human beings attached to command and control in any organisation. Alternatively, if you just want to understand some of the complexities behind WW1 naval warfare, then buy it, sit back and enjoy. I could hardly put the thing down.

by Gary Sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars Readable and challenging, 12 Dec 2009
The subject matter of this book will inevitably cause friction, disagreement and sides being taken (a bit like the real thing). It helps when there are people that can explain some of it in a form that is moderately straightforward to digest and understand...regardless of whether you subscribe to a particular viewpoint or not.

Gary Sheffield's work is both well researched and readable, and for that reason I'd recommend this book to a very broad range of people, from the casually interested, to the serious history student.

My advice: buy it, read it...and think about it.

The Somme: A New History (Cassell Military Paperbacks)

Douglas Haig: War Diaries and Letters 1914-1918: The Diaries of Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig (Weidenfeld & Nicolson)

by David Downing

5.0 out of 5 stars Read Zoo Station first..., 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: Silesian Station (Paperback)
...and then get this one.

Better still, buy this one, Zoo Station and the one after: Stettin Station. Make yourself comfy and have a great read. They are really good, balanced and well researched.

by David Downing

5.0 out of 5 stars Adopt the position in your favourite armchair...and read, 12 Dec 2009
This review is from: Zoo Station (Paperback)
The acid test is whether I could put it down or not, and whether I'd be driving home from work looking forward to a glass of something red and getting my nose stuck into the next chapter. The answer is that I read all three in the series - so my advice is to order them all now, it may save time later.

I read these while I was also working my way through Richard Evans' historical works on the Third Reich (and yes I do have a social life). My conclusion, they either know each other or these novels are really well researched.

Buy it.Stettin Station
The Third Reich at War: How the Nazis Led Germany from Conquest to Disaster

Gunter Wand Edition [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Gunter Wand Edition [DVD] [2005] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Bruckner
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 43.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Wand and Bruckner et al - go no further, 12 Dec 2009
I did a review of Box 2 of this set (which seems to be unavailable at the time of writing), and I'll say much the same thing as I did in that - Gunter Wand + NDR + live recording + very good filming and sound combine to make a set of recordings that I love watching and listening to - the price is astoundingly good. Treat yourself...or someone you like.

I have plenty of Bruckner, but this is the best.

Gunter Wand Edition Part 2 [DVD] [2007]
Gunter Wand Edition Part 2 [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Gunter Wand

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunter Wand & the NDR, 20 July 2005
If you happen to like Bruckner, these recordings are brilliant. The sound and camera work are terrific. If, in addition, you happen to think (as I do), that Gunter Wand conducting the NDR are (alongside the RCO and Haitink), the best combination there can be for Bruckner, then this set makes you sit up and pay attention. To cap it all, you have here a programme of live performances from the Schleswig Hostein Music Festival so that you can sit back and experience this stuff whenever and as often as you want - for this price...most excellent