Profile for Marion Croslydon > Reviews

Content by Marion Croslydon

Marion Croslydon (London, England)

Darkbeast
Darkbeast
by Morgan Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful tale, 17 Sep 2012
This review is from: Darkbeast (Hardcover)
Darkbeast is a beautifully-written and crafted story. It's an highly enjoyable read, even for those of us who might not be in the obvious age target. A great adventure!

Challenging Andie
Challenging Andie

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good contemporary romance!, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Challenging Andie (Kindle Edition)
It's now the third book by Sally Clement I read. And it's only getting better and better! Challenging Andie is my fav. The characters are finely drawn, and their backstory is complex and dark enough without feeling like you need a therapy session after turning the last page. Very satisfying and well-written contemporary romance!

Because of Low (Sea Breeze Book 2)
Because of Low (Sea Breeze Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Abbi Glines did it again!, 3 July 2012
Because of Low is the first novel I read by Abbi Glines. I discovered her through my new-found passion for New Adult author Tammara Webber. They happen to be CPs (critique partners), i.e. they review each other early drafts (grrr, I'm jealous). Well, when you see the quality of the `product' delivered by Tammara, it does reflect well on Abbi Glines' standards. So, here I was having downloaded Abbi's Because of Low, her second installment in the Sea Breeze series. For the record, as soon as I was finished with Low, I immediately purchased Breathe (Sea Breeze #1), then The Vincent Boys and The Vincent Brothers.

I'm glad I started with Because of Low as I find it to be a much more accomplished work than Breathe. Don't misunderstand me: The first book in the series is good, but the second one is excellent. While the characters were a bit thin and stereotyped in Breathe (starting with the teen rocker Jax) and the plot slightly flat, Because of Low offers a ride with two truly unforgettable, fleshed-out, multi-faceted people: Willow and Marcus. Abbi Glines knows how to make you fall hard for swoon-worthy bad-boys (Beau Vincent, yummy!yummy!), but Marcus isn't one of them. He is driven by duty, loyalty, family, and fairness. Still, he isn't boring one bit, but utterly falling-in-lovable because he treats people and the girl he loves as a person of worth... As far as Low, she has some similarities with Lana in The Vincent Brothers. She had it tough and suffers of a very low (pun intended) self-esteem. It is truly heart-warming to see her gaining in confidence. What Low lacks in self-esteem, she doesn't lack in self-respect. I think it's important to make the difference here. She's open-minded and always tries and understands Marcus, but, still, she doesn't compromise with who she is and believes in at core.

Now, you're going to say, these two are really cute and likable. Great, so it's easy to make them the main protagonists. Yes, they are good people, but, what I really liked about them, were their flaws. Marcus does some really stupid things. As far as Low, there's the question of her ambiguous relationship with childhood friend, Cage. She relies on him as he's the only person who has cared and supported her. They cling to each other, and she sleeps in his bed when she has nowhere else to go (although nothing has ever happened). I like that very much. Yes, it is screwed-up, but totally realistic. The book shows how their relationship evolves and becomes healthier. But if there's one thing I absolutely loved in this book that's how Low grows out of her dependence for Cage and embraces her own self and trusting Marcus.

So, if the plot twist is predictable and I wasn't entirely convinced by the climax and resolution, I would whole-heartedly recommend to read Because of Low. The good news is that Cage gets his own story soon (31st July 2012) in While It Lasts. Can't wait!

Easy
Easy

5.0 out of 5 stars Girl Power!, 27 Jun 2012
This review is from: Easy (Kindle Edition)
Okay, I'm going to try and be objective here. Easy by Tammara Webber is... a great book. I heard about Tammara through the New Adult forum on Goodreads. I didn't start with Easy but her YA trilogy Between The Lines. I devoured it in three days: one book a night. When I turned the last page of Good For You (book 3), I directly purchased her latest (stand-alone) novel, Easy that had just been released (lucky me!).

And began another sleepless night...

What needs to be said first about Tammara Webber is the strength of her writing. It might not win her the next Pulitzer prize, but who cares... In my opinion, it is impeccable: fluid, strong, clean. She has a distinctive voice, and every one of her characters (whether Reed, Emma etc.. in BTL, or Jacqueline) sounds totally unique. That's a sure sign of her competence as a writer.

I don't usually like books that are trying too hard to deliver a "message." Most of the time, it is heavy-handed and clumsy. Yes, Easy deals with rape, but not the `attacked in a dark alley' story. It deals with this very fine line treaded by many, and those stupid words we often hear. "She was totally hammered." "Did you see how she was dressed?" "She followed him into his bedroom, so what else can she expect?". "She's so EASY."

Easy reminds us that: No is No, whatever the circumstances, whoever the girl.

Now, on a lighter note, I melted for Lucas. I usually don't like tattoos. I'm not a fan of the `artsy' look. I don't fall for guys driving Harleys... But he's a character I'll keep in my heart for a long time. The relationship with Jacqueline unfolded in a realistic and sweet (and sexy) manner.

It is a New Adult / Upper-YA / Mature YA novel, not just for the topics it deals with, but also for the way the author handles them.

Easy is about empowerment and standing up straight for yourself by doing what is right.

The Author's Guide to Publishing Success (Previously: The Indie Author's Guide to the Universe)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great start in your career as a self-published author, 13 Jun 2012
Jeff Bennington has the perfect credentials to write this book. He has several books out there that have been a success. The roadmap and tips he gives in this book are delivered with humility and in a concise manner. The format is also very reader-friendly as it is split in short targetted chapters. They are to the point and refer to other 'authorities' in the self-publishing world. I also liked the fact that it's not all about business etc he also talks about the craft (briefly but in a useful manner).
This book is maybe more for people starting down the path of self-publishing, but it's a solid start.

Perfect Chemistry
Perfect Chemistry
by Simone Elkeles

5.0 out of 5 stars TOOK MY BREATH AWAY, 25 April 2012
This review is from: Perfect Chemistry (Paperback)
I know, I know, it sounds totally cliché... But I have to be honest here: This book really took my breath away. I hadn't felt that way since opening the first page of Twilight (the first book in the Saga, let's be clear). I read an editorial review describing the "breathlessness of the first kiss," and this is exactly what Perfect Chemistry inspired in me.
Yes, the end is somewhat rushed and breaks the nice flow of the book. Yes, Alex and Brittany are star-crossed lovers who are paired up (against their will) in a chemistry class. Yes, you can't help comparing some of the themes and overall context with works like Twilight or West Side Story, or even Romeo & Juliet (Baz Luhrmann's movie will be closer than Shakespeare's Verona tale).
But, hey, no story out there is completely new.
What matters (to me, at least) is the truth of the characters, and therefore the truth of the author who created them. You can't miss Simone Elkeles's sincerity in her written words, in particular those spoken by Alex. You can't miss how much of her heart she put in telling that story. And I guess, that's what makes a great book.
So HURRAH to Simone Elkeles for creating something so breathtaking (without the help of any vampire or werewolf). And HURRAH to the star of the show... Alex Fuentes!

Trust of the Heart
Trust of the Heart

5.0 out of 5 stars To love again... bigger, better, sexier..., 25 Jan 2012
First, I really loved the setting. I wanted to stay there a little longer. I'm now planning a trip to this part of the Appalachians.
Then, I have just to say that the story touched my heart... who hasn't been there? But it shouws that even when you think you will never love again, well, you can... and it can be the right thing this time around!

Advanced Plotting
Advanced Plotting

5.0 out of 5 stars Why only now?, 7 Dec 2011
This review is from: Advanced Plotting (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded Advanced Plotting last week and dived into the reading. Why did I not find this book earlier? I have just finished my WIP and I wished I had read Chris EBoch's book 9 months ago before starting the whole mss. The bright side is that I can use all the good advice for the sequel I am about to kick off. Advanced Plotting is for writers who have already a grasp of the basic elements of the craft of writing.

Marrying Cade
Marrying Cade

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting!, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Marrying Cade (Kindle Edition)
Just finished "Marrying Cade" by Sally Clement. Didn't want the book to finish.It's taking place in a beautiful island in Italy. In itself, so exotic... Then enters Cade. And you want to keep reading. If you've been a braidesmaid, you might have dreamt of falling in love with the groom's best man. Perfect match. I'm now waiting for Sally's next book, for a new escape and a new unique hero!

Head Over Heels
Head Over Heels
by Cindy Procter-King

5.0 out of 5 stars Marion Thomas, 13 May 2011
This review is from: Head Over Heels (Paperback)
I just started reading this author. I'm now desperate to find other books by her.I'm an avid romance reader and I find her style very refreshing!