Profile for Jeffrey C. Lippman > Reviews

Content by Jeffrey C. Lippman

Jeffrey C. Lippman

Noblest Black Golden Cap Cigar, Barrel Is Finished in Black, Carved Ring Fountain Pen
Offered by Office Product Shop

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't normally like to write bad reviews, 16 Dec. 2014
I don't normally like to write bad reviews, but when this arrived I found myself wishing I hadn't purchased it almost immediately. The screw on cap was actually not a screw on cap, the ink filler pulls apart and leaks, the ink flow is irregular and it leaks. All this was ascertained within the first hour and sadly by the second hour it was given a new home in the bin. I like a good fountain pen, I've used them for years, but this I fear was not a good fountain pen, it was disappointing. Based on the other reviews I would assume that perhaps some batches of this pen are better than others, needless to say the one I received was not one of those.

Herold Strope made of Cow Leather adjustable - Red
Herold Strope made of Cow Leather adjustable - Red
Offered by Scissor & Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Oct. 2014
Easy to use, this strop makes all the difference between your straight edge being sharp and being razor sharp.

SALE! Damascus 'Peasant' style knife - folds away into the handle - Legal length - Custom Made!

3.0 out of 5 stars Of course if you're looking for a project razor because you wanted to practice your skills regrinding the edge then this is perf, 27 Sept. 2014
With respect, this is a straight edge razor, not a knife, although it is being sold as a knife. The only downside here is it has been sharpened as a knife and not as a straight edge, in simple english it arrives sharp enough to hurt yourself with it if you're careless with it, but most definitely not sharp enough to shave with. At this time mine is razor sharp, that is to say sharp enough to shave with, but only because I spent a couple of hours regrinding the edge. Happens I have the skill and know how, not to mention the tools to do this little job, and now it's done it is a delightful piece, but because it required so much work on my part I feel three stars is appropriate. Of course if you're looking for a project razor because you wanted to practice your skills regrinding the edge then this is perfect, as the finished product is both beautiful and practical, however if you're looking for a shave ready razor, this particular one is not what you're looking for.
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 1, 2014 6:41 PM BST

Outstanding Value- Handcrafted Damascus Pocket Knife Buffalo Horn handle -By Koobi- For camping and Bushcraft

5.0 out of 5 stars The mechanism is moderately tight and is best opened two handed, 26 Sept. 2014
I don't know why one reviewer has branded this knife a cheap fake from Asia, particularly as this individual has cut and pasted this foolishness over and over again and has clearly not purchased the item in question, because although reasonably priced, this very high in quality. I speak incidentally as a person who has collected knives for forty years and is a Smith by profession, so I flatter myself as knowing something about knives and the metal they're made from. I don't claim to know where this knife was made, nor do I care, wether it was made in Timbuktu or Kalamazoo is irrelevant and immaterial. The blade is well forged Damascus steel and takes a razor edge, the edge being just over two and three quarters of an inch. The mechanism is moderately tight and is best opened two handed, which is good as it has no lock, making it legal to carry in the UK, providing of course one has a legitimate reason for carrying it. In my case I use it to cut and prep cigars and general utility purposes. (Should you have one of these and be asked by a policeman in the UK why you are carrying it, the reason should not be for self defence, that would not end well). The bolsters are horn and hard wearing the rest of the handle is a combination of steel and brass, very strong, very decorative and very traditional in design. Virtually the only UK legal stiletto knife available in the UK, this well made example of the craftsmans art is a pleasure to own.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Although it took several weeks for it to arrive, ..., 22 Sept. 2014
Although it took several weeks for it to arrive, I can say without hesitation that this little spatula was worth the wait, taking up practically no space or weight in my kit, it will turn an egg without breaking the yoke. Made of stainless steel it should, if not needlessly abused, out last me. What more could you ask for?

Primeshop-Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder
Primeshop-Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder

5.0 out of 5 stars Grinding Coffee, 27 Oct. 2013
I put coffee beans in the top, crank the handle for a few minutes and finely ground coffee is collected in the base, it's as simple as that. That is what I was looking for, in a unit that would be suitable for use both in the home and on a camping trip and as a bonus it is also very attractive and easy to clean, practically perfect.

Petromax Dutch Oven
Petromax Dutch Oven
Offered by Tamarack

5.0 out of 5 stars camp cooking, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Petromax Dutch Oven (Sports)
Having recieved my Petromax Dutch Oven ft3 I can only say I'm delighted. About the size of a sauce pan, although not as tall, it is perfect for cooking for 1, 2 or even 3 people. The design seems to incorperate all the best features of a conventional Dutch Oven, along with a few new innovations, such as the legs on top of the lid which, in addition to using it in the conventional way to cover the pot, allows the lid to be used upside down over your coals as a skillet, on which you could easily cook a couple of eggs for example. To be fair, if you were feeding 4 or more people, or suffer from the kind of eating disorder in which when you stand up and look down you find you can't see your feet, you would be better off with one of the larger Dutch Ovens made by Petromax however, while I've found no shortage of makes and models in the larger sizes, Petromax seem to be almost unique in manufacturing a Dutch Oven small enough and light enough to carry on a camping trip, although having said that it's still no light weight item, but any larger cast iron pot would simply be too heavy for field use unless your vehicle is parked next to your tent. In terms of quality of construction, I find the Petromax to be well made and sturdy, and it also arrives pre-seasoned and after giving it an initial wash with hot water, ready to cook on. All in all I recon this to be the best Dutch Oven being manufactured in Europe today and at least as good, if not better than those being manufactured in the United States, where the standards for this kind of cookware is very high, and I say this as an ex-pat American living in the UK and somewhat familiar with the American models. Given the choice, I wouldn't trade this for any other Dutch Oven I've ever come across in the past and properly cared for, I recon it'll out last me!

The Count of Monte Cristo (Illustrated Edition)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Illustrated Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A worth while read., 22 Jan. 2013
Like many classic books which have been made into films, both cinimatic and televisual, 'The Count of Monte Cristo' is both well known and yet in many respects hardly known at all. As is to be expected, the book contains details and sub plot often omitted from the film versions which add to the readers deeper understanding of the characters and the story. Any list of books along the lines of 'Must read this before I die' would be incomplete without this story of betrayal, loss & gain, reward & revenge and ultimately justice & redemption.