Profile for A. Wharton > Reviews

Content by A. Wharton

A. Wharton "Walter - the 8th Duke" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Life Happens
Life Happens
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 11.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Candi Staton with Rick Hall producing, it's just got to be good......, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Life Happens (Audio CD)
I'm biased - Candi Staton for me, is one of the great female soul singers around. Her Fame catalogue under Rick Hall is just tremendous and this album harks back to those times. CS can get a little too religious at times - just take a look at her website etc, but it's this link with religion that has given us so many great soul singers over the decades. All the greats came from Gospel choirs so I can forgive CS for the occasional ode to the person up there and besides, His Hands was an incredible album. If you're looking for an intro into Candi this may not be the album for you but a lot of the 'best of' albums skip past her best work. Get hold of Honest Jon's remasters of her first two Fame albums, all done down in Muscle Shoals with Rick Hall and the MS house band. There's also a truely excellent documentary on the studio, recently aired on BBC4 but available on DVD now. For this album, there's country, blues, funk and soul all covered, it tells the story of romance from beginning to end and it's Candi at her very best.

KICK-5 WOMENS TAN LEATHER UK 8 EUR 41 US 10
KICK-5 WOMENS TAN LEATHER UK 8 EUR 41 US 10
Offered by FOOTCANDY LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves them so much.........., 17 Mar 2014
Purchased these bargains for my daughter, she likes them so much, I'm having to order another pair for when these wear out. They're quality shoes, they look good on and the leather is nice and soft. Definitely would purchase again - I'm going to have to, but also, definitely recommend the shoe to anyone swaying on their purchase.

BT 6500 Cordless DECT Phone with Answer Machine and Nuisance Call Blocking (Pack of 2)
Price: 49.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The phones failed on me........, 17 Mar 2014
There are new phones coming out from BT all the time, I was attracted to these in an attempt to block all those annoying callers you get all the time - I do anyway. So I got these, well the call blocking worked a wee bit, it didn't block everything and some still got through despite me programming these into the phones. Worse of all though, they look crap, it's like BT have taken a model they couldn't shift and stuck some new technology in them. They feel awful, look awful and are really not worth the money.

So, advice is to wait for the newer models.

I wanted to give this 5 stars - not because of the phones but because of the level of service I received from the seller. If I do give the phones 5 stars though people will think it's purely for the phones, it's not, they get no stars. The seller for this product was brilliant, once they went wrong, they told me to send them back, I did - they didn't arrive - BT and the Royal Mail were once all part of the GPO - it all links together - the Royal Mail lost the phones in transit. I'd kept my postal receipt and the seller refunded me in full today. All of their emails were clear and very pleasant - I can't praise them enough.

Delicious Junction Basket Weave Tassel Loafers Mod Shoe Ox Blood
Delicious Junction Basket Weave Tassel Loafers Mod Shoe Ox Blood
Offered by Adaptor Clothing
Price: 94.99

5.0 out of 5 stars There's loads of soul left in these new shoes..............., 3 Jan 2014
I don't know if I should wear them or put them on a pedestal.

These shoes are a thing of beauty - I already have a pair of the black tassel loafers, my daughter wanted the ox-blood ones for Christmas and then I saw these and got them without hesitation. The trouble now is, that if I put them on, that fabulous, pristine, beautiful pair of shoes will be no more and I don't know if I can do that to them.

They ooze quality, leather soles, inners and uppers, the leather is silky soft and smells fantastic. It's shined up too and I know as soon as I hit the dance floor, I'll be floating across the talc but in order to do that, I have to put them on my clumsy plates and that'll be perfection ruined.

I know, I'll buy another pair.

Chairmans Reserve Rum 70cl
Chairmans Reserve Rum 70cl
Offered by 31DOVER
Price: 19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Mmmmmmm rum., 4 Nov 2013
Delicious stuff, I got it on a special offer, fab on ice - other than that, I mix it with nothing.

Braun Oral-B Vitality Precision Clean Rechargeable Toothbrush
Braun Oral-B Vitality Precision Clean Rechargeable Toothbrush
Price: 17.45

4.0 out of 5 stars My teeth now feel so much cleaner and I can see the difference too....., 4 Nov 2013
Remember those ad's in the 70's when they'd cleaned their teeth with Crest and a flash of whiteness circled their face etc - you imagine that feeling after using this toothbrush.

I got this along with 8 replacement heads, I'd recently converted after many many years of using Ultrabrite to the Oral B Pro-Expert toothpaste, love the gritty bits in my mouth and the way that it left it feeling.

The brush is great, I use it in the shower first thing and also before bed. I also use a handraulic toothbrush too but that's mainly during the day.

If you're wearing a top be warned, the spinning head on this will fleck you with paste while you pause with your brushing - either that or your mirror gets flecked.

Battery life, it could last longer but I'll just have to keep remembering to charge it.

I can forgive it any weakness because of the way it's made my mouth feel over the past 4 months since I've had it.

New Delicious Junction Tassel Loafers Mod Shoes Black 11
New Delicious Junction Tassel Loafers Mod Shoes Black 11
Offered by mazeys
Price: 79.95

5.0 out of 5 stars These are simply just a wonderfully well made pair of great looking shoes.........step out in style., 30 Oct 2013
I need a wide fitting, normally most of the shoes that I purchase online have to go back.

Loake - I love them but they just don't make them wide enough so I have to spend quite a few weeks with cramped feet or simply take them back.

Bass Weejun's - love them too, I have to get them sent over from the US though because the UK stock is for the slimmer of foot and it makes for a costlier shoe.

I purchased these with the thought in mind that if I couldn't get them on I'd just have to send them back. When they arrived I was rather delighted to see that they were a bit wider than the usual Smartie tubes that I'm trying to stick my rather large plates into. They're still very snug but within a few days they were getting a lot more comfortable.

They look fabulous and as you will find, a lot of people tend to look how one is shod. Not for me those big long pointy things, I like my footwear more rounded, leather souled (sic) and moveable on the dance floor - these fit the bill. It seems almost a crime to wear them.

KTF - there's plenty of soul left in these new shoes.

It's Alive
It's Alive
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars There is no better live album., 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: It's Alive (MP3 Download)
It might not have the best production as one or two live albums, it might not be on the same scale as many live albums - It's the Ramones, back in the UK for their 3rd visit and the second time in '77 - they'd played Dingwalls and the Roundhouse the year before and their immense power had just blown everyone away. This is their return to the Roundhouse, the sound is good and from the intial intro of Joey giving it "we're the Ramones and this one's called Rockaway Beach" through to WAHF this just does not stop, no inane talking, no showboating, no visual effects, they didn't need it - they just gave everyone what they had gone there for, a gig with as many songs packed in as possible.

A Ramones gig was invariably always fabulous fun, it was loud, fast but intelligible and when you walked out into the night air (they were always better in smaller venues) you knew you'd just witnessed one of the best live bands ever and all for 2.50.

This album, turned up high, played all the way through, goes just that little way to take you back to a youth when gigs, albums, and a whole load of other things cost less than a fiver.

Dice, 24 x 16mm Round Corner Spot - Ivory
Dice, 24 x 16mm Round Corner Spot - Ivory
Offered by Legendgames
Price: 2.95

5.0 out of 5 stars They're numbered 1 to 6 and they're dice............, 17 Sep 2013
I got these purely because I have a number of dice and board games in the house missing one or two essential bits - namely these. Rather than go rooting through different boxes or keeping them in a special dice place I just thought I'd solve the issue with a purchase of this little lot.

I like the yellowey ivory colour and the roundedness of the die, it makes them feel old and used.

Super fast delivery, just what I needed.

2013 Rayzor Professional UV400 GunMetal Grey 2 In 1 Anti Fog Sports Sunglasses / Goggles, With a Clear Rose Anti-Glare Clarity Lens and a Detachable Elasticated Headband & Inner Foam Padding.
Offered by Sports Eyewear
Price: 69.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper for a reason........, 17 Sep 2013
Like one of the other reviewers, I purchased these for when I'm on the water. Ideal or so I thought, I use a sailing bag and normally, when out on the water, everything goes in there that I may need. When I needed my new glasses, I opened said bag and pulled them out. One of the ear stems had broken off and this was before they'd ever been worn in anger - superglue was no match and they are sharp. So, I took the other ear stem off thinking I'd just use them with the head strap but I was to be defeated once again, the wee arm on the head strap came away after a couple of weeks use.

Glutton for punishment, I think so because I have purchased another pair, they are good for on the water and this time, the head strap will be getting the 'No More Nails' treatment or some similar adhesive.

They also claim to be anti fog - suspicions should be aroused when you see Rayzor Anti Fog lipbalmalike tubes for sale along with the ginks.

No fault of the seller, it's the manufacturer that should take the blame here.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4