Profile for Ms. T. Stuart > Reviews

Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking
Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking
by Susan Cain

5.0 out of 5 stars A quiet call to arms...., 8 Dec 2014
I am pressing this book into the hands of all the food business entrepreneurs I work with, because they need to understand that they are fine if they are introverted, or ambiverted, and they need to know how to approach an extroverted world to get their message across. Quiet has a bigger message than either of these two (very important aspects) which is that "quiet" is good for all of us.

H is for Hawk
H is for Hawk
by Helen Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb view of what wildness really is, 21 Aug 2014
This review is from: H is for Hawk (Hardcover)
This book is so finely, acutely observed and written, that it is like taking a vast draught of wildness into oneself, and flying abroad like Mabel, the hawk of the title. But it is so much more than an account of falconry, it is an account of how to survive one of the toughest parts of human experience, and a tale of gradual recovery into a new state of being. This is a superb book.

Write & Sell Your Damn Book
Write & Sell Your Damn Book

5.0 out of 5 stars smart, true, no bulls**t, 8 Aug 2014
ace, funny, brilliant jumpstart no excuses manual.

It's like having someone holding you to account, right there, in the room. I can't write more, because I must get back to MY damn book. Thanks, Paul.

Never Mind the Sizzle...Where's the Sausage: Branding based on substance not spin

5.0 out of 5 stars a splendid guide to real branding, 25 July 2014
All brand managers should be made to read this book, which shows you how to sell a (re-vamped) fictional sausage with relevant and appropriate sizzle.

It talks you through all the steps of taking an ailing fictional sausage brand and re-vamping it, in the face of company politics and restricted budget.

It's a triumph of clarity and insight, as well as a warm, funny, engaging read

Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2014 5:58 PM BST

Her
Her
by Harriet Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars This book grabs you and never lets go, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Her (Hardcover)
From the opening sentence to the last, this book grabs you and never lets you go. My heart was thumping at the final paragraph.

The depiction of motherhood rings absolutely true.

The alternating characters by chapter propel you at breakneck speed throughout the story, with the tension racheting up. You see the story through two sets of eyes.

This is highly accomplished writing, and a very satisfying read.

(I bought my hardback at Waterstones, having heard the author interviewed on Radio Gorgeous, so if you want to hear Harriet Lane talking about how and why she wrote the story - no spoilers! - before you buy, visit RadioGorgeous.com.)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 8:40 AM GMT

Black Rainbow: How words healed me: my journey through depression
Black Rainbow: How words healed me: my journey through depression

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, informative, and useful, 10 Jun 2014
I was attracted to this book because close family members have suffered depression. I found it insightful, moving and gripping from beginning to end. Thank you, Rachel, for putting your story out there. You did a good and useful thing.

Sedition
Sedition
by Katharine Grant

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning seduction and a sting in the tail, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Sedition (Hardcover)
Read this book.
Why?
Because Alathea and Annie stride off the pages into your mind.
Because it's a morality tale.
Because it's superbly composed.
And is all about music.
And it's the best book I have read in a year.

Toast & Marmalade: And Other Stories
Toast & Marmalade: And Other Stories
by Emma Bridgewater

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for the eye and the mind together in a ravishing volume, 18 May 2014
I bought this book on a whim, partly because it just looks so ravishing. It is. Emma's "patchwork quilt" approach to the chapters allows you to see, in the stunning photography, and read in her words, all the inspiration, robustness, and joy that you can see physically in her pots. I loved this. And the bonus recipes too!

The Behaviour Of Moths
The Behaviour Of Moths

5.0 out of 5 stars I was as gripped by this book as the eponymous moths of the title are on their pins...., 16 May 2014
Dealing with moths in my clothes cupboards, my eye was caught by the title, and although fictional, I thought the insights might be handy. The sibling rivalry described rang so true, and was so compelling, that I read the novel in one sitting. The tension is racheted up expertly, and the setting, in a vast, crumbling, isolated Dorset ancestral home, is beautifully realised. The narrator studies her moths, but her study of her family is another matter entirely. Highly recommended.

Viper Wine
Viper Wine
by Hermione Eyre

5.0 out of 5 stars Linger over this evocative clever book, 2 April 2014
This review is from: Viper Wine (Hardcover)
I found myself rationing my reading of Viper Wine, because I wanted to saviour every line and to grasp the scintillating clever travelling through time and space allusions. I was touched by Sir Kenelm's love for his wife, the beautiful Venetia Stanley, and her doomed attempt to stave off time.

The brilliantly conjured atmosphere of London in the run up to the Civil War lingered in my mind long after I finished the last page. If you like historical fiction, you will thoroughly enjoy this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4