ARRAY(0xb057de10)

Profile for The Flaneur of the East End > Reviews

Content by The Flaneur of...

The Flaneur of the East End (London, UK)

ABUS Steel-O-Chain 810 - Black, 110cm
ABUS Steel-O-Chain 810 - Black, 110cm
Offered by expert-shops
Price: 53.94

1.0 out of 5 stars READ THIS BEFORE YOU BUY, 14 April 2011
I bought this lock and the key snapped in half in the lock mechanism when I tried to unlock it. I was not applying any more force than you would expect. When I contacted Abus they sent me the following email saying that it was due to "user error" and I would require an angle grinder to free my bike. The bike is locked in a public place where there is no electrical point to plug into therefore I have lost my bike:

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding your ABUS lock and we are sorry to hear that you have had an unfortunate experience with this product.

A key which has snapped in a lock is usually the result of not fully inserting the key into the locking mechanism and is seen by ABUS as user error and not a manufacturing defect.

If the key is not fully inserted into the lock barrel before you try to open the lock, the barrel will start to turn but the lock will not open. If more force is then applied to the key it can result in the key snapping.

If the key is fully inserted into the lock barrel and the lock barrel is seized the amount of force needed to snap the key is very excessive. If you snap the key you should be left with enough key sticking out so that it might be removed with a pair of pointy nosed pliers.

If you are left with a piece of key stuck inside the lock then it is clear that the key was not fully inserted when it snapped. For this reason it is doubtful that your retailer would be willing to replace the lock and reimburse you for your costs. However any claim regarding warranty or compensation should be directed to the shop from which it was originally purchased

The only way to remove your lock would be to use an angle grinder.

Unfortunately we are unable to assist you further with your query.

Yours sincerely

Wendy Shaw
Customer Services Administrator"
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2012 2:01 PM BST

Five Impossible Things to Believe Before Christmas
Five Impossible Things to Believe Before Christmas
by Kevin Scully

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, wide-ranging and thoughtful, 11 Dec 2009
I read this book reluctantly out of a sense of duty to a friend - my heart usually sinks when I realise I have been given a Christian book - but I ended up surprising myself by enjoying it and even laughing out loud. I would happily recommend it to those wanting to explore the events of the Nativity in more depth.

Rather than the usual hackneyed harangue to stop Christmas shopping or any other festive fun, the author instead invites the reader to believe five impossible things (events taken from the Nativity) before Christmas. He does this in the mischievous spirit of the Queen in Lewis Carroll's 'Through the Looking Glass' who when Alice remarked "one can't believe impossible things" remarked "I daresay you haven't had much practice... Why, sometimes I've believed in as many as six impossible things before breakfast".

Each chapter is rumination on one of five 'impossible' events occurring in the Nativity. The author freely acknowledges the challenges of believing in, for example, the Incarnation and urges the reader to eschew rational argument, discussion and debate and instead to meditate. Songs, plays, literature and works of art are used to illustrate the radical personal implications of the familiar Christmas story. This is all done with good humour - I particularly enjoyed the section on the talking donkey from Numbers. I gave it 4 out of 5 as it lacked clarity in some areas but overall I found it fun, wide-ranging and thoughtful.