Profile for Fraser W > Reviews

Wolf's Law
Wolf's Law
Price: 13.52

5.0 out of 5 stars This band should be bigger!, 22 Nov 2013
This review is from: Wolf's Law (Audio CD)
I've always been a fan of female fronted bands and I have to say I think The Joy formidable are up there with best of them
( Blondie, Fleetwood mac, Lacuna coil, Fugees , Cocteau twins etc) , although I do realise thats probably the last thing they want to be known as. They are a band of talented musicians whose lead singer happens to be female. Its a shame though because I cant help but feel if their lead singer was male they would have been the next Muse/ Queens of stone age etc type band. Guess thats a sad reflection of why they are so underratted.

Anyway I stumbled onto the Big Roar a few years ago and it stayed in my playlists up until this day. It was fresh, great sounding guitars and melodies and the band obviously enjoyed playing together you could see that in any live performance or acoustic set on youtube. This really confirmed to me they were a talented band when every acoustic version of them doing their own songs sounds so good. In some cases some performances I seen were better than the album versions. Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to see them live but from what I have read they are fantastic.

Any way this album picks up where the Big roar left off but what I prefer about this album is the few quiter acoustic type songs mixed in with the full on distorted guitar tracks. They really sound fantastic those melodies and the dropped tunings together. I also love the fact that they are welsh but she doesn't make that everything they are about. It used to be painful listening to Catatonia where the lead singer milked all the R's ( ROAD RAGE). TJF's singer is a pleasure to listen to and I hope this band stay together for a long time.