Profile for Mrs. H. Costello > Reviews

Content by Mrs. H. Costello

Mrs. H. Costello (Merseyside, UK)

One Day
One Day
by David Nicholls

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: One Day (Paperback)
I was a bit sceptical about this book living up to the hype as so often I feel let down by these high profile reads - I really enjoyed this book - can't say I liked the characters but that was the beauty of the book - I don't think you were supposed to. The ending was not what I wanted to happen and a couple of months after finishing the book I am still left bereft. Definitely worth a read!

The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits
The Biscuiteers Book of Iced Biscuits
by Sarah Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely neat biscuits that are possible for anyone to make, 11 Nov 2010
I absolutely love this book - there is an interesting section at the front about how the business came to be and there are tons of recipes - which to be honest I didn't expect as I thought it would just be examples of their work. I worried also about having to have all the individual cookie cutters which would have cost a fortune but again the book provided as there are all the templates at the back.
A must for anyone who is interested in neat, pretty food!

Please Forgive Me
Please Forgive Me
by Melissa Hill

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a lazy afternoon, 10 July 2010
This review is from: Please Forgive Me (Paperback)
A lot of the comments here are about reading this book quickly and in one sitting and I have to agree - This is a book that you 'get into' very quickly and want to know what happens. I have read several Melissa Hill books and each one has been enjoyable. This is slightly different as it is set in San Fransisco but the elements are all still there to make a good read. I have scored this 4 stars as enjoyable as it was, I did not feel the twists were quite as exciting and unexpected as in her previous books - but please don't let this put you off - I will definitely be back for more MH books in the future!

The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the hype suggests!, 10 July 2010
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
I have never really belived it when people say that they purposely put down a book so they didn't finish it too soon - hell, if you are enjoying something make the most of it! However, for the first time a book had that effect on me. As soon as I started this book it felt like one I would enjoy - The writing is warm and the characters rich and interesting.
There are 3 main characters, Aibeleen, Minny and Miss Skeeter - My favourite was Minny who seemed to have a massive personality. There was everything in this book, lots of humour, mystery, a sense of dread (I was really nervous about the way the little girl Mae Mobley was treated).
This book did take a while to read but never felt a chore and I have really missed it since it was gone.
It felt very original and a story that could not be turned into a format read.
Would love to read another by Kathryn Stockley - she has a writing gift I wish I had!

Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
by Jill O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite every baking books!, 15 Jun 2010
The tagline of this book is Desserts for the serious sweet tooth - Jill O'Connor certainly wasn't lying! This book is full of recipes that are sugar overload but do not lose taste. The sections are easy to work through - the most difficult part is deciding which recipe to make next as they all seem as delicious as the next!
The cheesecake Pops recipe is now my go-to recipe for cheesecake (and I have tried a LOT!)
I cannot say enough about how delicious this book is - a perfect present for anyone interested in making sweet dishes!

The Sweet Melissa Baking Book: Recipes from the Beloved Bakery for Everyone's Favorite Treats
by Melissa Murphy

4.0 out of 5 stars This book is not good for your hips but brilliant for your lips!, 15 Jun 2010
I originally bought this book as I was taking part in an online baking group that used one of its recipes - It won me over so much that I wanted to try plenty more!
The book is very clearly set out (I like the slightly larger font than in other cookbooks)and the recipes do not use too many ingredients - they are mainly items that most regular bakers would have in their cupboards.

One criticism of the book is the lack of photos - there are just a handful placed in the centre of the book but these look absolutely delicious!

There are loads of recipes in this book making it good value for money.

The gingerbread is gorgeous (I added a little more ginger and it doesnt need quite so much treacle as stated in the book!)

Like Bees to Honey
Like Bees to Honey
by Caroline Smailes

5.0 out of 5 stars So wonderful!, 15 Jun 2010
This review is from: Like Bees to Honey (Paperback)
It is safe to say I loved everything about this book - from the wonderful cover, the clever title and most of all the completely original story. I do not want to give too much away about the story as part of it being so special to me was that I knew nothing about it. It was completely different to anything I have ever read but really sucked me in.
The book does detail Malta (a place I had never really considered visiting but now would go in a shot!). There are some really emotional parts but not in a sickly way.
It felt like a really grown up book and I wanted to tell people about it when I was reading it in public!
Please read - you will love it!

The Blue Bistro
The Blue Bistro
by Elin Hilderbrand
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true, 26 May 2010
I ordered this book after reading on a fellow food blogger's profile that this book changed their life - It made them want to work with food and moved their direction in life. I thought, 'Wow' it must be amazing.

When I started the book I was really suprised - there was nothing particularly new about the story - It was a basic love story centered around a restaurant but none of the fabulous food descriptions that I was expecting.

I found the story quite predictable and not all together believable but having said that it was an enjoyable read and suitable for a holiday read.

Still wondering why the food blogger was so empowered by this book to change their life though!

Mister Teacher
Mister Teacher
by Jack Sheffield

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of everything!, 26 May 2010
This review is from: Mister Teacher (Paperback)
The first book in the series was a hit and I expected more of the same from the second - and I got it. These are easy to read books but not necessarily speedy reads. Again there were elements of the books that had me laughing out loud (I cannot bring myself to say 'LOL' Ugh!)

By now the Headteacher is well settled into life in Ragley Village (A fictional village but the stories are based loosely on the author's real life as a Headteacher)
Most of the old characters appear along with some new ones - The lady who runs the Newsagent is brill!

There is an off and on love saga with Beth and some rivlary between her and her sister, Laura. I know it sounds like a contradiction but the love interest is what I kept reading for but also the bit that irritated me somewhat. I won't spoil the story but there is a cracking cliffhanger at the end (and yes, I will be reading the 3rd book) but I find myself wanting to say to Jack to bin Beth off - she's messing you about. I bet he won't listen!

All in all, another great read!

The Thrift Book: Live Well and Spend Less
The Thrift Book: Live Well and Spend Less
by India Knight

2.0 out of 5 stars Condescending and Dull, 21 Feb 2009
I really wanted to enjoy this book and gain lots of tips from it - instead I found it patronising and nothing new. India seemed to focus solely on London (and then had the cheek to say that she wasn't going to mention London too much for those of us who don't live there!) She made sweeping generalisations particularly about making your own crafts - Crafts are not always the cheaper option and not everyone can make a work of art out of a folded over piece of card and some sequins. There seemed to be a lengthy and dull!) section on organic fruit and veg boxes - my own experience has been that these have cost me more than my usual fruit and veg bill and are by no means value for money. I could go on ...
Thinking more positively, there are quite a few websites mentioned in the book which may be worth persuing for more money-saving tips.
All-in-all India has not inspired me to make my own clothes, make my own soap and definitely not buy a Diane von Furstenburg dress in the name of saving up!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2009 11:34 PM BST