Profile for D. Hill > Reviews

Content by D. Hill

D. Hill

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Denon CEOL Network CD Music Receiver with Wi-Fi and Ethernet Connectivity - Black
Offered by home AV direct

5.0 out of 5 stars My Fabulous Denon CEOL N9, 17 Feb. 2015
I did not purchase this from Amazon, but frrom a dealer that is on the Amazon marketplace who offered a two year warranty. I had also dealt with them before and they offered free next day delivery. I purchased this unit to replace a Deon DM37 DAB which is an earlier version of the currently available DM39 DAB.

Firstly the pictorial example on this page is not the N9 version but the earlier N8 version as far as I can tell. Make sure you view the N9 model as this looks much neater than the old model did, I am not sure how much improvement in performance there is having never heard the N8. The sound is cetainly a great improvement over the DM37, it seems to have more depth and the the sound is very clean and clear. It is made of some sort of acrylic and is much lighter than the DM 37, have to say this surprised me. Initial set up went very smoothly, I found the speaker connection a little odd but manage to sqeeze in my speaker wires with a bit of effort. Turning it on and playing a CD and the FM/AM radio was straightforward and this was all done within 30 minutes of opening the box.

I next tried to connect my Kindle through bluetooth and this was more of a problem. It paired fine and asked to check the number on the CEOL and Kindle were the same, which they were so I pressed enter. I kept getting a message saying there was a password error, it did not tell me how to get around this though! Anyway after about six attempts it just worked, no idea why but it has continued to do so. I then tried to get the Internet Radio which also caused me a headache. I am in my 70's and had never heard of this before so the problems were of my own making to some extent. I eventually switched off my router and switched it on again and hey presto there was the BBC. I have now got the hang of it I think! I have nothing else that I want to connect so cannot comment further on connections I am afraid.

The instruction manual is on a DVD and is 140 plus pages long, it may be my age but I hate this, Denon produce a proper manual as you used to please, much easier for us old codgers if we can read a piece of paper as we go along! As for the unit now that I have got it up and running I am delighted with it. When I was younger I owned expensive hi fi separates by Arcam coupled to a pair of floor standing Castle speakers. My CEOL is connected to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers and the sound seems very much on par to the Arcam from my memory and of course at considerable less cash to lay out. Being made of acrylic saves money I guess.

If you are thinking of buying the Denon I heartily recommend it, I cannot comment on the Denon speakers but it would be my preference to buy speakers from a trusted speaker brand, and if possible listen to them first. I had my Wharfedale's for four years and they are an old model but I have been more than happy with them. You can still get them on Amazon too!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2015 7:52 PM GMT

Canon PIXMA MG6650 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - Black
Canon PIXMA MG6650 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer - Black
Offered by Niche Office Solutions Ltd - Bradford

4.0 out of 5 stars Cannon MG6650, 9 Feb. 2015
I guess the Canon does what it says on the tin but it does have one significant fault. Unless it is positioned over a basket or in the middle of a table it shoots my printing all over the floor, I really think Canon could have made a printer without this glaring fault. It is a little noisy but prints at a greater speed than did my old Canon and the quality of the prints are fine. I run a Quiz locally and most of my printing is to print off questions both in black and whie and colour. I printed a photograph which again was perfect but to be honest I do not use my printers for photo printing.

I got the Cannon when their winter offer was on so got a £15 rebate meaning the real cost to me was lower than the price shown on Amazon. I had a slight problem getting this back as Canon tried to say they could not read my Amazon receipt but I got it in the end. I cannot comment on ink usage at this stage as I have not used it enough but I have followed the recommendation of others and purchased XL ink cartridges.

Bubbling Under Volume 1 32 Tracks that Bubbled Under The Billboard Charts from 1961 1964

1.0 out of 5 stars HOW MUCH?, 4 Jan. 2015
£109.95, is someone having a laugh!!

Pioneer BDP-170-K 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi - Black
Pioneer BDP-170-K 3D Blu-ray Player with Wi-Fi - Black
Offered by Nintronics

5.0 out of 5 stars What I wanted however was a good player that produced a first class picture and excellent ..., 20 Oct. 2014
This blu ray player is not well endowed with extras the connections to the internet fior example are minimal. What I wanted however was a good player that produced a first class picture and excellent sound. I was not interested in the extras after all I have a Smart TV which has the connections I need, I wanted to pay for the Blu Ray performance.

I am so far very happy with the performance of this player which is first class! I have watched a 3D video which was a wildlife one with David Attenborogh, it was interesting but I do not think I will be making too much use of this facility. I may change my mind but I think watching in 2D as far as films are concerned is best. My player is matched with and LG650B 47 inches TV and a Canton DM50 soundbase. I have only had the player for a few days but it is well worth the cost in my view, a great improvement on my five year old Panasonic.

If like me you just want to play Blu Ray discs then I can recommend the Pioneer.

LG 47LB650V 47-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD
LG 47LB650V 47-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart 3D TV with Freeview HD

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV - But it had a fault!, 26 Sept. 2014
I have just purchased an LGLB650V 47 Inch TV although admittedly not from Amazon. In fairness to the latter I will not say from where but Amazon's guarantee was inferior or at least too expensive. After two days the TV switched itself off, but I was able to switch it on again with the remote control. On the third day it switched itself off again, on both occasions I checked the timer which indicated it was off. I was also told that TV's can switch off through inactivity e.g not changing channel for a long period of time. This was not the case for me as on both occasions I had watched several channels in the previous three hours. Tonight I got a message on screen saying this TV is going to shut down, I checked the timer which was off and again I had watched several channels in the previous hours. Interestingly the TV did not turn off!

Other than for this problem the TV is excellent and the picture is a great improvement on my old Panasonic Plasma which was five years old. Whilst I doubt I will use the 3D viewing mode much I did watch a natural history programme on Sky and the picture was excellent. It is not something I would watch regularly but it works well. Connecting the TV to the internet was easy even for an old duffer like me! I have viewed a few You Tube clips and again the quality was excellent.

I am pleased to say that my complaint re the TV was correctly handled by the seller who has agreed to replace the set next week. However given that my set is faulty I can only give it three stars had it not have been it would have got five!

Replacement TV arrived yesterday and all seems fine. The guys who delivered it suggested I go into the Eco settings and check them to off as the manufacturer always sets them to on. I have done this and so far it has stayed on! Why do LG not supply a manual anymore? It looks like I could have corrected the old TV had I known! Uprated to four stars, one star missing because of the lack of a decent operating manual!

Canton DM 50 TV Sound Plinth / Bar, 2.1 Virtual Surround System with 200watts  in Black
Canton DM 50 TV Sound Plinth / Bar, 2.1 Virtual Surround System with 200watts in Black
Offered by Richer Sounds

3.0 out of 5 stars Canton DM50 - Beware of it's compact dimensions!, 9 July 2014
Although I did not purchase the Canton from Amazon I thought I would add a review as there is one point I did not consider which I suggest others should.

Firstly however to the sound, I would rate it as an improvement on my TV's sound but still not brilliant. It increases the bass and gives a rounder sound but where voices are unclear it does little to improve the listening experience. An example of this is the recent TV version of "Jamaica Inn", I could not distinguish what they were saying on the Canton or with the TV's sound. I originally connected my Canton directly to the TV with the Optical lead provided. This method strangely made Freeview come through at a much higher volume that was coming through my Sky Box or Blue Ray player. I have now connected the Sky Box and Blue Ray player directly to the Canton and this has improved the volume to some extent we can now listen in the high 60's on the volume dial as opposed to thje mid 70's. I would have to use the TV sound for freeview but as I do not use this it is of no consequence to me.

Now to my new point that I had not considered and I believe others need to be aware of. The Canton in comparison to some other speaker bases is quite small, I looked at the Denon for example which has a much larger footprint. This can be useful when you have a wife like mine who thinks all such speakers are just ugly boxes. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma on it which overlaps the back but is secure enough. The Panasonic is coming up to five years old and I thought I would look into a new TV. I also decided to increase the screen size to 47" and started looking. I discovered that a signicant number would not stand on top of the Canton, their bases were just too big! If you are thinking of a larger TV I recommend you check the size of the base to ensure it will fit on the box. I have not yet found one that fits perfectly although the LG 47L B650V only just overlaps the end of the Canton so I am hoping that will be OK. If you are buying a smaller TV you may well not have this issue but I would check to make sure.

I hope this additional comment will be helpful.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2014 12:17 PM BST

The Complete Call the Midwife Stories: True Stories of the East End in the 1950s

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Version of Call the Midwife, 15 May 2014
Reading this compendium of books makes you realise how sanitised the TV stories are. Mind you if you are of a weak disposition you are best off avoiding the book and sticking to the film as the book in it's descriptions is very graphic. It amuses me when I think of the cast of the TV series, they are not too much as described in the book, the Sister in charge is described as short and round and the Handyman has just one tooth which protrudes in the book. Chummy seems well cast as Amanda fits the description in the book to a tee.

I really purchased the book because I was interested in life in the fifties, and it has certainly made me realise how luck I was that as a child of the fifties that I was born in Cornwall where the squalor of the East End did not exist.

If you are interested in those rather grim days in the East End then providing you are not too sqeamish you will thoroughly enjoy this book as I have.

Rexel Style+ Cross Cut 7-Sheet Paper / Credit Card Shredder with 12 L Pullout Bin and View Window

5.0 out of 5 stars Rexel Style+ Cross Cut Shredder, 25 April 2014
The shredder appears well made and comes with a two year guarantee. It does what you expect it to - shred paper! It is easy to use and quiet compared to other shredders I have owned. Most shredders in my experience are not long lived so I purchased this one with the two year guarantee in the hopes it will outlive this period.

West Ham United News+
West Ham United News+

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but a bit boring., 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: West Ham United News+ (App)
This app was free, it is OK but I would not have paid for it. I only look at it very occasionally, would have not have been very happy if I had to pay for it, it seems to be a mish mash of other sites.

West Ham Utd Official Programmes
West Ham Utd Official Programmes

1.0 out of 5 stars It was free!, 19 Mar. 2014
It is free but that is about all you can say for it. I have now deleted this app from my tablet.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4