Profile for D. Hill > Reviews

Content by D. Hill

D. Hill

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Canton DM 50 TV Sound Plinth / Bar, 2.1 Virtual Surround System with 200watts  in Black
Canton DM 50 TV Sound Plinth / Bar, 2.1 Virtual Surround System with 200watts in Black
Price: 399.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Canton DM50 - Beware of it's compact dimensions!, 9 July 2014
Although I did not purchase the Canton from Amazon I thought I would add a review as there is one point I did not consider which I suggest others should.

Firstly however to the sound, I would rate it as an improvement on my TV's sound but still not brilliant. It increases the bass and gives a rounder sound but where voices are unclear it does little to improve the listening experience. An example of this is the recent TV version of "Jamaica Inn", I could not distinguish what they were saying on the Canton or with the TV's sound. I originally connected my Canton directly to the TV with the Optical lead provided. This method strangely made Freeview come through at a much higher volume that was coming through my Sky Box or Blue Ray player. I have now connected the Sky Box and Blue Ray player directly to the Canton and this has improved the volume to some extent we can now listen in the high 60's on the volume dial as opposed to thje mid 70's. I would have to use the TV sound for freeview but as I do not use this it is of no consequence to me.

Now to my new point that I had not considered and I believe others need to be aware of. The Canton in comparison to some other speaker bases is quite small, I looked at the Denon for example which has a much larger footprint. This can be useful when you have a wife like mine who thinks all such speakers are just ugly boxes. I have a 42" Panasonic Plasma on it which overlaps the back but is secure enough. The Panasonic is coming up to five years old and I thought I would look into a new TV. I also decided to increase the screen size to 47" and started looking. I discovered that a signicant number would not stand on top of the Canton, their bases were just too big! If you are thinking of a larger TV I recommend you check the size of the base to ensure it will fit on the box. I have not yet found one that fits perfectly although the LG 47L B650V only just overlaps the end of the Canton so I am hoping that will be OK. If you are buying a smaller TV you may well not have this issue but I would check to make sure.

I hope this additional comment will be helpful.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 5, 2014 6:05 AM BST

The Complete Call the Midwife Stories: True Stories of the East End in the 1950s
Price: 7.47

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Version of Call the Midwife, 15 May 2014
Reading this compendium of books makes you realise how sanitised the TV stories are. Mind you if you are of a weak disposition you are best off avoiding the book and sticking to the film as the book in it's descriptions is very graphic. It amuses me when I think of the cast of the TV series, they are not too much as described in the book, the Sister in charge is described as short and round and the Handyman has just one tooth which protrudes in the book. Chummy seems well cast as Amanda fits the description in the book to a tee.

I really purchased the book because I was interested in life in the fifties, and it has certainly made me realise how luck I was that as a child of the fifties that I was born in Cornwall where the squalor of the East End did not exist.

If you are interested in those rather grim days in the East End then providing you are not too sqeamish you will thoroughly enjoy this book as I have.

Rexel Style+ Cross Cut 7-Sheet Paper / Credit Card Shredder with 12 L Pullout Bin and View Window
Price: 45.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Rexel Style+ Cross Cut Shredder, 25 April 2014
The shredder appears well made and comes with a two year guarantee. It does what you expect it to - shred paper! It is easy to use and quiet compared to other shredders I have owned. Most shredders in my experience are not long lived so I purchased this one with the two year guarantee in the hopes it will outlive this period.

West Ham United News+
West Ham United News+
Price: 0.00

2.0 out of 5 stars OK but a bit boring., 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: West Ham United News+ (App)
This app was free, it is OK but I would not have paid for it. I only look at it very occasionally, would have not have been very happy if I had to pay for it, it seems to be a mish mash of other sites.

West Ham Utd Official Programmes
West Ham Utd Official Programmes
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars It was free!, 19 Mar 2014
It is free but that is about all you can say for it. I have now deleted this app from my tablet.

American Heartbeat 1960
American Heartbeat 1960
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 5.87

5.0 out of 5 stars The Year I remember most., 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: American Heartbeat 1960 (Audio CD)
I was 16 in 1960 so this set of tracks brings back a lot of memories for me. This was my last year at school and if you are a similar age I think you will enjoy this collection as much as I did. I used to listen avidly to Radio Luxembourg and these tracks take me back to those days. In addition the album is excellent quality as are the recordings recoreded therein.

American Heartbeat 1957
American Heartbeat 1957
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Relive Your Youth, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: American Heartbeat 1957 (Audio CD)
If like me yuou are a child of the 50's you will definately enjoy this well recorded CDs. I purchased all of them from 1957 through to 1960 and they are excellent quality.

Newquay Through Time
Newquay Through Time
by Sheila Harper
Price: 11.43

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really Newquay Through Time, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: Newquay Through Time (Paperback)
As a "Newquay Boy" I enjoyed this book which in the main compares very old photographs with very much more recent ones. as a child of thye 50's from Newquay I would like to have seen more pictures from this era too. It's still an interesting book if you come from Newquay and I have no doubt I will go back and look at the photographs many times.

American Heartbeat 1958
American Heartbeat 1958
Price: 4.08

5.0 out of 5 stars American Heartbeat Series, 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: American Heartbeat 1958 (Audio CD)
Excellent and enjoyable CD, the recordings are excellent and at a super price. So if you were around in the 50/60's you are going to love these recordings!

Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers
Kindle Fire HDX 7", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 32 GB - Includes Special Offers
Price: 229.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture but there are a couple of issues, 30 Dec 2013
I am very happy with my Kindle Fire HDX the picture quality is superb and the sound through my Senheiser headphones is good, although a little more volume would be good. BBC I Player reception is excellent but it is disappointing not to get ITV Player and in particular Sky Go. I know of friends who watch sport on Sky Go on their Android devices and it is a failure that I cannot do this on my Kindle. I also downloaded Trust security and it keeps telling me an update is available. I am unable to update this security area as Amazon as I understand it have not released the update. It is important that Security is maintained in as update a position as possible and this is not the case with the Kindle.

Were it not for these initial irritations I have discovered, I would have given the Kindle five stars. Not being able to access Sky Go is particularly annoying given that I get this with my Sky subscription. It is a good job I am able to get Sky Go on my laptop.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3