Profile for M. Hamer > Reviews

Content by M. Hamer

M. Hamer (Tamworth, Staffs)

Page: 1 | 2
End Credits (The Pankhearst Singles Club Book 2)
End Credits (The Pankhearst Singles Club Book 2)
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky story of love and friendship with a dark twist., 19 Jun 2014
I read this book in one sitting whilst on the plane to Vietnam. One because I had loads of time, and the other because I couldn’t stop reading it.
End Credits starts as a quirky everyday story about two friends who are scared to admit their feelings for each other, but then comes a dark and scary twist that is reminiscent of Asian horror films.
This book is well written and the twists keep you guessing until the end.
I would highly recommend End Credits; and look forward to Simon's next work.

10 000 Hz Legend
10 000 Hz Legend
Offered by TwoRedSevens
Price: 4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album, but don't expect Moon Safari, 20 April 2007
This review is from: 10 000 Hz Legend (Audio CD)
I've only just got round to buying 10'000HZ Legend, but I'm so glad I did.

This album is a slight departure from Moon Safari. This is more experimental, darker, and somewhat inconsistent in places. Therefore; in my opinion; not every track works. However, the ones that do - work extremely well and there are some great moments here.

"Electronic Performers" opens the album well, it's a Kraftwerk-esque electronic bleeps and beats with electronically processed vocals. But for me; by far the best track on the album; is "How does it make you feel?". This "pink floyd-ish" track drifts in beautifully, with wonderful lyrics giving a sense of bleak loneliness.

As I said before, there are some awesome moments here, but there are some dodgy ones too. However that's what you expect from experimental albums.

On the whole though it's a great album, but don't expect Moon Safari.

Ghost Is Not Real
Ghost Is Not Real
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 9.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, Evocative, and Up lifting., 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Ghost Is Not Real (Audio CD)
I've only just come across Husky Rescue; having read the revue for "Ghost is not Real" in Uncut, and I'm so glad I did. The Finnish five-piece; to me; sound like a mix of Sigur Ros and Air, (with female vocals).

As soon as I played the opening track "My Home Ghost" I knew I was in for something special. This beautiful sound with mesmerising, "ghostly "vocals from Reeta-Leena Korhola draws you in straight away. Then onto track two, "Diamonds in the Sky", one of the best tracks on the album, haunting and evocative. But for me, the most excellent track by far is the awesome, three-part epic "Blueberry Tree", which begins as a gentle, sweet song, then builds into a massively powerful instrumental, which makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Also; its not often I comment on this; but the artwork is brilliant.

"Ghost is not Real" takes you on a journey of chilled-out spellbinding sound that leaves you up-lifted, and inspired. It heals the wounds of a bad day at work.

As I said before, if you like Sigur Ros, and Air, you'll like this.

Pocket Symphony
Pocket Symphony
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 6.87

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not Moon Safari, or Talkie Walkie, but it's still a good album in its own right., 12 Mar 2007
This review is from: Pocket Symphony (Audio CD)
I've read all the other reviews of Air,s new album Pocket Symphony, and its obvious that there are two camps of opinion. No it's not Moon Safari, or the brilliant Talkie Walkie, but it's still a good album in its own right. After all talented artists need to move on. We don't continuously want re-makes of Moon Safari do we? (surely).

Pocket Symphony is a lot more melancholy and sombre, and doesn't have any lighter tracks to break it up, and therefore each track tends to blend into the next. In which case it becomes more ambient, musical wallpaper than an album of stand out tracks, But that's OK.

However sometimes I feel Air know exactly what they're doing, I mean ...you can just imagine advertising companies and Sophia Coppola on the phone right now.

There are a couple of guest appearances as well. Jarvis Cocker mumbles through "One hell of a party" sounding like he has the mother of all hangovers. Neil Hannon on "Somewhere between waking and sleeping", but JB Dunckel still gives the best performance vocal wise.

Not the best album to date, and in summery...I think maybe one problem with this album, is there are no real stand out tracks, and therefore doesn't really take you anywhere. It's probably best played as back ground more than anything...definitely not a driving CD!

I'm personally giving it 4 stars, because although its not what Air fans may have expected, its still a good album in it's own right, which I'm sure that given the chance it will grow on you, as it has me.

The Enemy Chorus
The Enemy Chorus
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars strange sound...but it grows on you!, 12 Mar 2007
This review is from: The Enemy Chorus (Audio CD)
I didn't know what to think when I first bought this album, and I'm also struggling to describe it, or even compare it to anything. This strange combination of piano and Electro beats; mixed with somewhat psychedelic "Beatles-esque" vocals.

"No Love in your Heart" is a fantastic opener, giving you a vision straight away of what to expect of the rest of the album. Vocals drifting across a hard electronic beat. Then track 2 "Burn the Liars" comes bouncing in, with a quirky jumpy piano track.

From there the album follows on in generally the same way, some up-beat tracks, some slower, and a couple of instrumentals. However that's not a bad thing. The Enemy Chorus has grown on me.

Not much more I can say, good album, fresh sound, give it a try.

Funeral
Funeral
Price: 13.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark, powerful, and moving, 1 Mar 2007
This review is from: Funeral (Audio CD)
It's not often that I listen to hype. However I bought this album based on reviews claiming it to be the best album of 2005 - and such like - not having heard much of Arcade Fire before.

When I first played it; I thought - nothing I haven't heard before!. However after a few plays; this CD has grown on me big-time, and now I can't stop playing it. Win Butlers' vocals are emotional and touching, singing deep and dark lyrics - sometimes inter-crossing with English and French - about your hometown being frozen over forever (tunnels), your neighbourhood thrown into eternal darkness (Power out), your older brother becoming alienated (Laika). All this combined with the massively powerful music, and haunting backing vocals by Regine Chassange makes you want more and more.

Its not often you can say this either, but every track is likeable. There are no fillers, and it's also difficult to flick tracks - as well, as you get the feeling this album was meant to be played all the way through - as if taking you on a journey of emotion and pain, giving you stand out tracks like Tunnels, Power Out, and the breath-taking Wake Up.

I can understand why some people don't like Funeral, but give it a few plays, and take the time to understand the lyrics. This is deep powerful stuff. Most of all will Neon Bible live up to this?

My Ears Are Ringing But My Hea
My Ears Are Ringing But My Hea
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 11.96

4.0 out of 5 stars experimental, distorted, and yet impressive and enjoyable, 19 Feb 2007
I believe the members of Captain Audio contain Brandon and Ben Curtis; who later went on to become the mighty, and talented Secret Machines with Josh Garza, and anything the Curtis brothers are involved in can't be a bad thing. That said you can tell. This has The Secret Machines' signature all over it, but what it lacks is the awesome, powerful edge that The Machines developed later on.

However, perhaps it's not fair to compare Captain Audio with Secret Machines. "My ears are Ringing" is a great little EP. "driving, riding" for me is the best track; a catchy; and standard; little song that comes in at only 2.50 mins. The other tracks are experimental, and have a distorted edge, which gives the whole thing a great feel.

On the whole, this is an impressive, and enjoyable EP, worthy of a listen. If you like Secret Machines you will probably like Captain Audio, but it might not be to everyone's taste.

On another note I purchased this CD from CD Quest via Amazon, and just want to say what a great service it was. It arrived within a week of order, which I found impressive for an import.

September 000
September 000
Offered by gowingsstoreltd
Price: 14.83

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be let down...talented, raw, beautiful music., 7 Feb 2007
This review is from: September 000 (Audio CD)
I have followed Secret Machine's work since buying "Now Here is Nowhere", I remember buying "Ten Silver Drops" within a week of release, and I saw them live on one of the brief occasions they came to Britain, and I have to say they never disappoint me. In my opinion Secret Machines are an extremely talented; if not underrated; band.

September 000 is a short album consisting of 5 tracks. But what great tracks they are! "What used to be French" is a fantastic opener, and from there the album seems to take you on a short journey of dreamlike songs that seem to have become the Machines signature, finishing with an awesome and beautiful ten minute track "Marconi's Radio".

I personally love this album, and think it's a must for any Secret Machines fan, (you won't be let down). However I feel if you're new to the Machine's work; I would try one of the other albums first to get you started. This is because September 000 has no commercial tasters, no single material, and no fillers. Just full on talented, raw, beautiful music.

Doghouse Music
Doghouse Music
Price: 9.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Who said white men can't sing the blues?, 5 Feb 2007
This review is from: Doghouse Music (Audio CD)
I too caught Seasick Steve on Jools Holland's Hootenanny, and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Steve Wold (real name), out playing every other artist there, with his three string guitar.

When I found out his CD was out, I bought it straight away.

If you didn't know any better, you'd believe you were listening to an old Sonhouse album or early John Lee Hooker. You can just imagine Steve recording this album in one take, sitting there in a room with nothing but a beat up guitar, and a bottle of Bourban.

If you're a true fan of Delta Blues you will love this album. Its raw, refreshing, and as authentic as Mississippi mud.

You can only do yourself a massive favour by adding this to your CD collection. Buy it now!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2011 12:26 PM BST

Return To Cookie Mountain
Return To Cookie Mountain
Price: 12.49

3.0 out of 5 stars This is a likeable album, but not worthy of all the hype, 2 Feb 2007
This is a likeable album, but not worthy of all the hype surrounding it, (in my opinion). The first few tracks are great "I was a Lover" is an awesome opener, leading into some experimental delights, with some refreshing vocals. (Province sung by David Bowie)

However I feel it runs out of steam after "Wolf like me", and I start to feel I want to turn off a play something else.

In summary Its worth buying if you get it cheap, but dont over head and heel to find it.

But most of all do not compare TV on the Radio with the awesome and talented Secret Machines, to me theyre not on the same page.

Page: 1 | 2