Profile for Kirk Douglas > Reviews

Content by Kirk Douglas

Kirk Douglas

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Machine!, 17 Jan. 2013
Had this machine for less than 30 years - no serious electrical faults, no short circuits or overheats. Useful.

Just how such an expensive machine works is amazing, and the paint doesn't peel off.

Check the reviews before you buy this. But not mine.

I also like eggs, but not social contact.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 25, 2013 2:04 PM BST

Bose ® Solo TV Sound System
Bose ® Solo TV Sound System

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but Simon doesn't :(, 16 Jan. 2013
Okay, let me make one thing clear from the outset...I do not work for Bose, got that? Good! Now on with the review.

I've been after a TV audio solution for a while, I have a 32" Samsung HDTV which I have been very happy with as far as picture goes, but one thing that has always bugged me was the poor sound which is common in modern slim LCD/LED TV's. Now I definitely did not want to buy some kind of 5.1 speaker system and fill my nice cozy living room with speakers and cables and large imposing sub-woofers. So for me some kind of soundbar made more sense.

I did have a Q-TV2 a while back which was pretty good but prone to "noise" at the high-end and when the inbuilt sub-woofer gave up the ghost I decided I wouldn't buy another.

What drew me to the Bose Solo was the fact it acted as a pedestal for the TV rather than sat in front of it. I then did some research and found mostly positive reviews. I was also lucky in that my local Currys/PC World were able to give me a demo even though it's not really the same as trying it out in your own home as the accoustics are obviously different. But on the back of that demo I decided to buy one (£349).

So what do I think? Well, I think overall it's pretty good...a mixed bag in some ways, but overall I am more than happy.

THE GOOD
An immediately obvious improvement over my TV speakers
Nice depth and decent but not overpowering bass
Good connection options (I use optical digital)
Looks good beneath my TV and doesn't "stick out" like a regular soundbar or home cinema set-up
Handles Dolby Digital/DTS without the need to convert to PCM at source (I'm no expert but it does seem to sound better)

THE BAD
No virtual surround so it seems "narrower" than my TV speakers (The Q-TV also did virtual surround quite well)
Can't control volume via TV remote only the cheap/flimsy remote included (an upgraded remote costs extra...a bit cheeky)
£349 is quite a lot for what you get - you are paying for the name..If I was going to put a value on it £250 would seem more reasonable

Overall I am happy - I would score this 7/10 - but the star rating means I'll be giving it a 4 (3 is just too low to be fair). If you want a home cinema set-up this is not for you. If you want an improved audio experience generally from your TV then this definitely does the job. However it is probably £50-£100 more than the competition in terms of quality, although it does "slot in" better to your TV setup than an obtrusive soundbar so might be worth the extra for that fact alone if you have the cash available.

If anyone has any questions post them here and I'll try to answer them objectively.
Comment Comments (22) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2014 5:43 PM GMT

Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
by William Shakespeare
Edition: Leather Bound

3.0 out of 5 stars Very nice but not for Simon :(, 17 Oct. 2012
I only noticed the Barnes & Noble Leatherbound classics range a few days ago and thought they looked like very good value for money, especially as I am fan of the "old style" hardbacks rather than the cheap reinforced card with dustcover versions that you get today.

I have to say I was a little disappointed with this purchase, especially as the Sherlock Holmes book I bought in the same range was so good. The main issue for me is that the portrait of Shakespeare is stuck onto the front as opposed to being part of the leather like the gilding/lettering on the rest of the cover, it just looks a little "tacky". Another negative is that the paper if very thin, and on occasion the print looks a little pale/patchy in places. Although this is only an occasional problem, all these issues combined mean I have to drop a couple of stars.

However overall I still think this is a very nice book and looks good on my bookshelf. The binding itself seems strong and sturdy enough, especially when you consider the number of pages!

If you are a fan of hardbacks (or the Bard!) then I would consider this a nice purchase, but not essential.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 11:17 AM GMT

Complete Sherlock Holmes, The (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics) (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic Collection)
by Arthur Conan Doyle
Edition: Leather Bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely edition, especially for leather fetishists like Simon, 17 Oct. 2012

I have to say I wasn't disappointed with my purchase! This really is a lovely book and looks great on my bookshelf. The quality of the cover is excellent and the binding itself looks pretty good, especially when compared to other hardbacks I own.

The only negative is that the paper if very thin, and on occasion the print looks a little pale/patchy in places. However this is only an occasional/minor problem and in no way detracts from the quality of the book overall.

If you are a fan of hardbacks (and Sherlock Holmes of course!) then I would consider this an essential purchase!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 11:08 AM GMT

Django [1966] [DVD]
Django [1966] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Franco Nero
Offered by YouWantIt-WeGotIt

3.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, but Simon may not agree, 28 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Django [1966] [DVD] (DVD)
After recently watching Sabata and Bullet For The General, this was next on my list of Spaghetti Westerns to watch...and I certainly left the best until last (Dollars Trilogy aside).

This is a great film with some amazing set-pieces (I won't add a spoiler, but the scene when Major Jackson's men come to town to kill him is brilliant. The characters are generally strong, and the plot doesn't pull any punches in terms of violence (but in my opinion never strays into the realms of bad taste).

The only thing wrong with this DVD is not the movie (which I would easily score 8/9 out of 10, but the quality of the transfer, which is pretty bad. Lots of noise, grain and artifacts. This is a shame and while elements of this are perhaps unavoidable with material this old, the recent US release on Blu Ray is (by all accounts) excellent in HD, so why they couldn't have released a better quality DVD I do not know.

For that reason I give this DVD release 7/10
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 1, 2013 5:11 PM GMT

Sabata [DVD]
Sabata [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lee van Cleef
Offered by rsdvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but not Leone, or one for Simon!, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Sabata [DVD] (DVD)
I've been on a bit of a "spaghetti western" trip recently, and this was the first I watched after the definitive "Dollars" Trilogy.

I mainly chose this as I'm a fan of Lee Van Cleef generally, and he does a decent job here despite some of the films shortcomings, but I have to say the rest of the acting is a bit hit and miss. The chubby side-kick character is tolerable, but the trampolining "Alley Cat" character is just plain annoying (as is the protagonist "Banjo").

Lee Van Cleef's title character "Sabata" is your typical "man with no name" style lone gunman, and the story itself is one of double-crossing and betrayal relating to a foiled bank robbing. There's no real surprises in the plot but it serves well enough.

The picture quality and sound aren't bad but I doubt much time was spent cleaning it up for the DVD release.

Overall I'd give this 6/10 - It's quite enjoyable in it's way but should definitely be considered "B" list.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 11:10 AM GMT

A Bullet For The General [1966] [DVD]
A Bullet For The General [1966] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Gian Maria Volontè
Offered by UclickWeDeliver

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy bread, buy dynamite! or eggs via the internet!, 27 July 2012
Despite watching Sergio Leone's "Dollars" trilogy countless times over the years I never considered giving any of the other spahghetti westerns out there a go until now. And after being a little disappointed with the "Sabata" movies I almost stopped right there, but a friend mentioned that this was worth a look, and they weren't wrong!

A Buller For The General definitely has the same "spirit" as Leone's work, and you'll recognise quite a few of the extra's in it too! Including a cameo by the same kid who helped Clint Eastwood in "For A Few Dollars More".

Gian Maria Volente shares the lead with Lou Castel and both have good presence and form an unlikely duo. Volente is at his cackling best, but plays a more sympathetic character than usual. It's a shame Klaus Kinski doesn't get more of a chance to develop his character and isn't on screen enough at all.

The plot takes a little while to get going, drifting from one gunfight to another for a while, and the encounter at the General's camp could have more of an impact, but overall it's a decent story.

As for the DVD itself, the quality of the picture is pretty good given the age of the source material and I didn't notice any problems there - likewise the soundtrack is decent enough.

Overall I'd give this 8/10 - If you like spaghetti westerns then I reckon this is a must!
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2013 11:05 AM GMT